Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC Line Maximum Upload Speeds but Minimum Download Speeds issue (Zen Internet)  (Read 1960 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

> you are correct in your observations that they might not be the company they used to be.

BTW I don’t know at all myself, am just repeating gossip that I hear here. ;) There are other current Zen users around and I seem to remember this remark from a recent poster. Of course this kind of development when a company grows very large is unfortunately not uncommon.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

I love the Firebrick and am hooked long term. Its design seems very logical and it’s powerful although it has some annoying missing features. One is no QoS support. The excuse is that it always prioritises small PDUs.

But it has BGP, and link bonding that works, available on the ‘fully loaded’ software option at extra cost.

One of the most important aspects for me is the use of XML config which is highly readable and well-organised. Annoying bug - if you use XML comments it mis-parses the result, so don’t use them. I ignore this, use XML comments everywhere and pre-strip them before `i upload the config to my FB2900 automatically with an uploader tool I wrote (for the iPad) which uses http, very easy.

Everything is designed for the user with clue. There’s a friendly web UI that you can use, this edits the underlying XML config. I never use it though, preferring to edit the XML with a text editor and as I mentioned my ‘master’ XML is in any case full of comments. I can diff the XML to review what I’ve recently done, and I can search it, both vital features for me.

There is so much I could write about the FB2900, but I am weary.

I have an FB2500 as a backup unit, and used to have an FB2700 which I donated to another Kitizen when I got the FB2900. When the FB2700 got zapped by lightning, I got another from AA free! I thought that was incredible.

The lifetime free support and handholding plus regular solid updates, that is worth a lot to me.

Ask Burakkucat what he thinks about the documentation, and then stand well back. ;) He is a former Firebrick FB105 owner.

If you want to try one, then you can now rent one to play with.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:37:25 AM by Weaver »

Wasabi

Sorry for my belated reply Weaver, busy with work this week.

Many thanks for your helpful insights RE the Firebrick FB2900, I like the look of the device and whilst I'm positive that I'm nowhere near an advanced enough user to fully utilise some of the more expert features, a solid, reliable router with good security features (that comes highly recomended) is what I've been looking for.

I spent a couple of hours last night playing around with the software demo and the device seems to have all the features I need, so I'm gonna wait until pay day and take the plunge.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks again. W
Pages: 1 [2]