Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: BT 900 installed, experiences and questions  (Read 7485 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: BT 900 installed, experiences and questions
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2021, 11:42:09 PM »

I've read that it's meant to be able to use 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz together Bonded for higher speeds? is this true?

I seem to recall they've been talking about that since WiFi 5 but AFAIK nothing has ever implemented it.

As for bitrates, I don't know about yours but my TV specifically points out its not compatible with high bitrates anyway.  It falls over well before it hits the limit of its 100Mbit ethernet port.

I long since switched to a ShieldTV as its the closest thing to a reliable DLNA/Plex streaming box, every other box, TV and games console I've owned would fail on things like Bluray rips.  The ShieldTV even works on Dolby Vision.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2021, 09:22:28 AM »

I seem to recall they've been talking about that since WiFi 5 but AFAIK nothing has ever implemented it.

As for bitrates, I don't know about yours but my TV specifically points out its not compatible with high bitrates anyway.  It falls over well before it hits the limit of its 100Mbit ethernet port.

I long since switched to a ShieldTV as its the closest thing to a reliable DLNA/Plex streaming box, every other box, TV and games console I've owned would fail on things like Bluray rips.  The ShieldTV even works on Dolby Vision.

yeah hence me using 5Ghz Wi-Fi 3 inches away from the rear of the LG B8, I'll DLNA test it in free time at weekend
terrible - a £2000 4K OLED TV with a real HDR10 Panel (90% are fake HDR10 with 8 Bit+Frame Rate Control+ noise insertion and all sorts), Dolby Vision / HDR / HLOG / Technicolour support - and... a 100Mbit LAN  -ON a high-end 4k TV!!   just glad I bought it in 2019 for £1200 as it was the previous years flagship series (lowest end of the highest tier of consumer TV in the world - pic quality is same, just different specs)

The fastest i had over the tester before issues were 280Mbps and tester was rubbish

and yeah, beside my PC and Internet - that TV is also my pride and joy hehe single life!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:30:10 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2021, 08:17:43 PM »

Yeah mine is the C8, Netflix, Amazon, etc are great on it - Plex is probably better than any other TV I've owned, but its still limited compared to Android based devices.

Although a big reason I stopped using the TV was audio, you can't get lossless audio or DTS out of the TV.  This is licensing BS, you have to pay DTS for a license to even passthrough the audio untouched and LG got fed up and decided not to do so after the C7 I believe.

The ShieldTV supports everything.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »

Yeah mine is the C8, Netflix, Amazon, etc are great on it - Plex is probably better than any other TV I've owned, but its still limited compared to Android based devices.

Although a big reason I stopped using the TV was audio, you can't get lossless audio or DTS out of the TV.  This is licensing BS, you have to pay DTS for a license to even passthrough the audio untouched and LG got fed up and decided not to do so after the C7 I believe.

The ShieldTV supports everything.

I found that using the DLNA option was nearly always better, and here's why:

- the LG B8 seemed to be playing more codecs than the PLEX app from the LG store!! some 4K video and some audio wouldn't play from the PLEX app, when that happens, I jump straight into DLNA and it plays instantly (most of the time I'm pretty sure, without having to remux the audio at the PC via Plex before its sent over the DLNA server, which is a separate process from the actual Plex Server Process) as Im sure sending as DLNA sends the whole file to the TV, and IT has to deal with both codecs, it ALWAYS says 'AUDIO NOT SUPPORTED'... but it does  ;) (lossless or lossy - I dont care it sounds fantastic) I have a Logitech 5.1 hooked up to it via fibre, rarely it's in a different language, and if it IS, you just hit the 3 dots on the far right, then next options move to the far left and change the audio to the next channel (English) - but rarely I do that - it seems to me that MY B8 (at least) can play more codecs than the PLEX app directly anyway... a lot of the time i just go straight to DLNA.

Ive had ONE that didn't play the picture from DLNA or PLEX so 'dodgy encode'.

as I've said before the biggest 4K file I have is 90GB Lawrence Of Arabia in 70MM to 4K (no DV or HDR though) - before my current setup (BT900 5Ghz right behind the TV), i could only play THAT on a USB device lol.

I also have a super rare 4K version of The Hateful 8 (Tarantino) - it hasn't been remastered for the 4K consumer disc yet, but I got it. And I "Pixel-Peeped" it to 400% against a 1:1 full-HD copy to make sure it was 100% real 4K, and it most certainly was...it can be seen extended in 4K online (Netflix USA), but that's not where I got mine!

I have about 24 x 4K discs I've ripped myself too (Remuxed off the discs, so the picture quality is 1:1 Identical) and also use Netflix and MagellanTV (documentaries for learning) - I loathe Apple TV and Amazon Prime - why?
1) they have adverts before whatever starts
2) they BOTH still make you RENT (£5) or BUY movies that came out in the 1990s, some of which are on YouTube for free, most have been on TV about 6 times for free.. and on Netflix for Free!!!

Why do you think they are the richest companies in the world! (Apple 1st and Amazon 4th)
- and Apple's prices - £999.99 for 4 wheels for iMac Pro...anyone paying that doesn't need help from anyone! except maybe a psychologist, after thousands of complaints, they reduced it to £600, 4 tiny little wheels 2 inches in size! so yes I loathe Apple as a company - iPhones all look the same just bigger, slightly better spec, all the same icons still to this day with zero GUI element management or anything...£2000 on o2 for 3 years!!! a small car that!

yeah the only thing i dont like about the B8 is the lack of access to the full Google Play Store... like my sister's 10yr old sony 1080p 65" LCD, because you could do so much more on/with your TV
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 03:02:42 PM by snadge »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2021, 01:48:45 AM »

You're probably right, I seem to recall having to fall back to DLNA sometimes when I used the TV for playback.

Once I went lossless audio though, I struggle to go back.  Netflix movies in particular sound really flat compared to the Bluray.  But I also splurged on about £1000 of speakers a couple of years back which made it even more obvious.  Even before the pandemic I spent 99% of the time in the house, I needed something to stop me going more insane.

Yeah Sony TVs run Android, though even on the ShieldTV you don't get full access to the play store as its just a small subset of apps that are written to work on AndroidTV.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2021, 01:49:08 PM »

You're probably right, I seem to recall having to fall back to DLNA sometimes when I used the TV for playback.

Once I went lossless audio though, I struggle to go back.  Netflix movies in particular sound really flat compared to the Bluray.  But I also splurged on about £1000 of speakers a couple of years back which made it even more obvious.  Even before the pandemic I spent 99% of the time in the house, I needed something to stop me from going more insane.

Yeah, Sony TVs run Android, though even on the ShieldTV you don't get full access to the play store as its just a small subset of apps that are written to work on AndroidTV.

yeah i'd love to have on my B8:-

A 1Gbit NIC and the full Google Play Store - then it would have been 100% perfect - oh and there have been firmware issues since v. 4.x.x with poor black levels if you want good detail and highlights, which may still be ongoing on v5.x.x (I've not been on AVforums in over a year to find out)

I find manually changing the 'standard' option to give the most natural-looking picture with good blacks - especially in Dolby Vision (I remove all warm and cold from all the options as it's not natural) - I also can not live without Motion Interpolation..its a must with OLEDs due to their super high refresh rate, as the flicker stands out even more than regular LCD's, LED's and QLED's - I've advised those (like my dad) who hate it, to turn it on 40-50% as it will reduce flicker but not make too "realistic" for you... a lot of people HATE M.I. (soap opera effect) as it's too realistic looking and subconsciously brings them OUT of the movie/program - to me, it looks brilliant and how it should be seen & why most TV's now has it as an option.

A lot of directors are for higher frame rates (just the bandwidth is too much in most cases), i saw all THE HOBBIT movies in High Frame Rate (48fps) 3D IMAX (brilliant) - your eyes don't work at 24fps do they lol - I studied on it, eyes actually work more up to 1000Hz equivalent to a TV, but in "real-world" experiments they say a young person with 20/20 perfect vision won't notice anything higher than 300fps.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2021, 02:31:45 PM »

Ah, someone else who realises soap opera effect is actually that it looks more realistic.

Its rather like 3D and VR, it feels odd at first because your brain isn't used to it.  As I never went the cinema much, I never got used to 24fps so the higher the better IMO as I'm more used to "real life".  :lol:

I mean I get it when people argue that it allows you to see the effects works more clearly and notice its fake, fair point.  But for me that never pulls me out of experience, I actually LIKE being able to see everything more clearly so I can truly appreciate everything that is going on the background that you normally cannot see clearly.

To me the whole point of the cinema, TV, movies, was supposed to feel like you are looking through a window into another world - not a flickering juddery mess.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 02:35:29 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2021, 02:48:20 PM »

Ah, someone else who realises soap opera effect is actually that it looks more realistic.

Its rather like 3D and VR, it feels odd at first because your brain isn't used to it.  As I never went the cinema much, I never got used to 24fps so the higher the better IMO as I'm more used to "real life".  :lol:

I mean I get it when people argue that it allows you to see the effects works more clearly and notice its fake, fair point.  But for me that never pulls me out of experience, I actually LIKE being able to see everything more clearly so I can truly appreciate everything that is going on the background that you normally cannot see clearly.

yeah...also, the "edge artefacts" are about 0.001% (almost unnoticeable, only by those who know how the tech works and what to look for!!) of what you see on screen during an entire movie. and LG's OLED series Motion Interpolation is almost perfect from what I've seen on other brands!!

for example, before i had my OLED I had an LG 32LH300 LCD (still got it! 13 years old, works perfectly) and had I had to use MI software on my PC to play it on the TV at 60fps, and it was good but the edge blurring was huge/bad, but i still preferred it, with the odd artefact (very rare) and have ultra-smooth playback, than have it flicker really badly so there is no 'very rare' artefact.

and it's not really fake in a way, yes 50% of the frames are computed, but they are just replicated with slight differences - what it is Alex is that they just do not like it because they have been used to 24/25/30 fps (depending where you live and what you watch) -for 10-40 years of viewing that (depending on age), they feel uneasy when they see 60fps..!! it brings them OUT the illusion of the movie they say.. to realistic  :lol:

remember 3:2 pulldown haha, that was even worse IMO.

edit: totally agree with the window thing, James Cameron said that 3D provided a 'window', and thought that HFR (High-Frame-Rate) was like removing the glass from window..or some similar comment that he and another big Director loved higher FPS.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 02:50:53 PM by snadge »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2021, 03:02:05 PM »

For the record I "think" the OLEDs interpolate to 120fps as the panels are 120Hz native, so its making up 5/6 of the frames.  Its really quite amazing when you think of it like that especially when its often having to upscale content to 4K too at the same time, so its making up the vast majority of the image on the screen.

I've used Topaz Video Enhance AI to pre-process some videos up to 60fps and when you see just how wrong most of the frames are, its really bizarre how when you play it back it still looks better because you're only able to make out a certain amount of the temporal data.  It seems your brain makes up the difference to some extent due to what it expects to see.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »

For the record I "think" the OLEDs interpolate to 120fps as the panels are 120Hz native, so its making up 5/6 of the frames.  Its really quite amazing when you think of it like that especially when its often having to upscale content to 4K too at the same time, so its making up the vast majority of the image on the screen.

I've used Topaz Video Enhance AI to pre-process some videos up to 60fps and when you see just how wrong most of the frames are, its really bizarre how when you play it back it still looks better because you're only able to make out a certain amount of the temporal data.  It seems your brain makes up the difference to some extent due to what it expects to see.

it's actually 60Hz for me (I don't know about the C8 but almost sure its the same), only HDMI 2.0 too (no HDMI2.1 which allows up to 120Hz@4K), because the OLED can only do 120Hz in 1080p mode, so if you're watching 4K interpolated it would be at 60Hz/fps - it tells you on the TV specs if you look at various sellers - 4K@60Hz or 1080p@120Hz

either way its brilliant, love it and so happy i got it and a bloody good one too...haha, mines the smallest 55" - what size is your C8?

EDIT: this topic has gone off-topic now - i won't be surprised if it gets split if it goes on any longer hehe - i know i ran the exact same SMF forum software years ago

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2021, 03:31:47 PM »

EDIT: this topic has gone off-topic now - i won't be surprised if it gets split if it goes on any longer hehe

I've said nothing, as you are the originator of this topic.  ;)

However, if you would like it to be split up, then let me know which posts to split off, the new topic name and where to locate the new topic.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2021, 03:33:31 PM »

I've said nothing, as you are the originator of this topic.  ;)

However, if you would like it to be split up, then let me know which posts to split off, the new topic name and where to locate the new topic.

Im fine, whatever you thinks best BK :)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2021, 06:34:12 PM »

BT have never had a 600Mb package.

I think you will find you are actually incorrect on that part J0hn, as I went to order BT900 before the change and it was 300 -600 -900, but then put if off as I wasn't sure if I should go for the top one, so a few weeks later, at the EXACT same prices, the speeds were 150 - 500 - 900 = £35 - £45 -£55 respectively (note: without landline)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2021, 06:39:49 AM »

it's actually 60Hz for me (I don't know about the C8 but almost sure its the same), only HDMI 2.0 too (no HDMI2.1 which allows up to 120Hz@4K), because the OLED can only do 120Hz in 1080p mode, so if you're watching 4K interpolated it would be at 60Hz/fps - it tells you on the TV specs if you look at various sellers - 4K@60Hz or 1080p@120Hz

either way its brilliant, love it and so happy i got it and a bloody good one too...haha, mines the smallest 55" - what size is your C8?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8-oled#comparison_10110
The panel is 4K 120Hz (the 9 and X series use the same panel but newer SoC and HDMI), its only HDMI that limits input to 60Hz input.  If you look at the spec sheet it can actually play back HEVC 10bit files at 120fps. (that was the B8 spec sheet)  The panel was only upgraded on the 2021 series and even there possibly only on the top-end models.

This is also used if you enable black frame insertion (that gives me a major headache) as it will display a frame of a video, a frame of nothing, a frame of video, thus 60fps but the panel is refreshing at 120Hz.

My C8 is also 55".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:45:38 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2021, 02:58:11 AM »

I think you will find you are actually incorrect on that part J0hn, as I went to order BT900 before the change and it was 300 -600 -900, but then put if off as I wasn't sure if I should go for the top one, so a few weeks later, at the EXACT same prices, the speeds were 150 - 500 - 900 = £35 - £45 -£55 respectively (note: without landline)

You're definitely recalling that incorrectly.
BT have never had a 600Mb package
Openreach have never had a package that could be sold as 600Mb.

Every FTTP package Openreach have ever sold is listed on the Openreach FTTP Price List.
There's nothing in-between 550Mb (sold as 500Mb by BT) and 1000Mb (sold as 900Mb by BT)

The only way an ISP could sell 600Mb over Openreach FTTP would be to buy the 1000/115 product from Openreach and rate limit it to 650Mb to meet OFCOM advertising rules.

A search of the forum gives around a dozen threads discussing the BT 500Mb package going back to at least 2019.
Here's just 1 example.
You won't find any for BT 600Mb.

BT still sell a 500Mb package that is based on the Openreach 550/75 tier.
It hasn't changed from 600Mb, though it has come and gone from sale in their site quite a few times.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 03:00:26 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]