Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: BT 900 installed, experiences and questions  (Read 7484 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT 900 installed, experiences and questions
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2021, 07:20:37 PM »

What's different about FAST that gives those odd-looking results?

can anyone explain that?

Sorry, I can't answer your questions but here is another throughput speed tester for you to try --

https://speedtest.aa.net.uk/
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2021, 07:46:31 PM »

Try clicking this link here.

That should hopefully take you straight to the BT Hub speed tester.

You'll need to log in then click on "i want to test my speed".
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2021, 08:58:30 PM »

Try clicking this link here.

That should hopefully take you straight to the BT Hub speed tester.

You'll need to log in then click on "i want to test my speed".

Cheers J0hn, it reports all is well at 930.8 down and 112.0 up, so that is a great tester for these BT FTTP PON connections so it seems, as its directly from the PON to DSLAM (and back), brilliant thanks for that.

however the speed test in the post before is pretty much useless for these speeds from the experience (200-600), but hey thanks for posting it anyway :)

thanks, guys & gals

EDIT: Just to add to that, now I understand the MO. I would be just as happy with it at 500-700 anyway, well at least 700 lol !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:09:35 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2021, 09:01:31 AM »

> this is a typical response from someone who lives in rural, or has poor connectivity and only gets slow ADSL like speeds - yours is 5Mbps ADSL I'm guessing

Agreed! I used the guaranteed figure of 450 Mbps and compared that with 2.5 Mbps downstream from one of my lines. I have three lines IP-bonded together, so actually enjoy about 7.6 Mbps downstream TCP payload throughput and about 0.9 Mbps upstream as reported by speedtest2.aa.net.uk. The upstream bonded efficiency should be a lot better than that at the moment, and I have moaned at AA in the past about debugging their own Firebrick FB2900 router in this regard. Upstream total should be about 1.2 Mbps or better.

Im a nosey sod, hehe - but 3 x xDSL balanced lines must not be cheap either to get that 2.5Mbps!! you must be paying more than me, so sorry for being "greedy" sounding, I can only imagine how despairing it must be to have to pay A&A x 3 to get 2.5Mbps - I see you have 7KM lines!!! bloody surprised a connection even gets there!!

Is there any news for your area for upgrades with Openreach or Virgin soon or in the future?

Slightly offtopic: Virgin's FTTP is only FTTP to the outside of the customer's building, where it is sent into a "converting node" on the external wall that turns it back into DOCSIS3 over copper in the home, so internal electrical interference could affect your gigabit speeds with Virgin, especially if that DOCSIS cable is a long run through the house... possibility anyway I think

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2021, 10:35:24 AM »

Slightly offtopic: Virgin's FTTP is only FTTP to the outside of the customer's building, where it is sent into a "converting node" on the external wall that turns it back into DOCSIS3 over copper in the home, so internal electrical interference could affect your gigabit speeds with Virgin, especially if that DOCSIS cable is a long run through the house... possibility anyway I think[/i]

Virgins FTTP is still FTTP though.

They will be changing to external boxes in the next couple years and upgrading to XGS-PON.

Interference on a few meters of coax will do diddly squat to the signal.

Weaver has Openreach FTTP coming around 2026 as part of the Scottish government R100 programme.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2021, 04:53:53 PM »

The amount of speed complaints I see on the net from people using wifi, power plugs etc. I can see now why speedtesters are been implemented on the devices themselves now.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2021, 01:01:48 AM »

Three DSL lines are not cheap, but the result is incredible reliability as if one goes down for even a few seconds, traffic is switched over to the good lines straight away. Used to be four lines, which was even less cheap, but I had a couple die a death on me last summer, couldn’t get enough good new lines and ended up reducing it back down to three. I used to pay a small amount per copper line and a separate amount for traffic according to what I needed; that was very expensive for daytime traffic. Now I’ve changed to all you can eat traffic up to a max of 5TB in a month. Quota currently remaining is 4.82 TB across all three lines combined.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2021, 01:16:27 AM »

The amount of speed complaints I see on the net from people using wifi, power plugs etc. I can see now why speed testers are been implemented on the devices themselves now.

yes, that was a great test on the MY BT page (thanks j0hn) as it cut out all the "internet" basically, and tested directly from device to the exchange and back, so not even the pod or cab, but the exchange (which is better news then using CABS or PODS instead), as it would be much less accurate. So direct to the exchange is perfect, beyond that is beyond most peoples control now in terms of testing - to manny testing, cant supply the bandwidth too many variables now - even on VDSL, I had to find a good server that reflected true results!!

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2021, 01:29:32 AM »

Three DSL lines are not cheap, but the result is incredible reliability as if one goes down for even a few seconds, traffic is switched over to the good lines straight away. Used to be four lines, which was even less cheap, but I had a couple die a death on me last summer, couldn’t get enough good new lines and ended up reducing it back down to three. I used to pay a small amount per copper line and a separate amount for traffic according to what I needed; that was very expensive for daytime traffic. Now I’ve changed to all you can eat traffic up to a max of 5TB in a month. Quota currently remaining is 4.82 TB across all three lines combined.

Yeah I know it isn't cheap from when you told me last, mind 5TB IS a lot though, but in fairness, I think given in faith given the fact it would probably be IMPOSSIBLE for you to reach anywhere near it- i very rare hit 1TB and Im HEAVY user, like I download the odd "REMUXES" of old Re-Mastered 4K/HDR movies that are up to a whopping 90GB in Size (3hrs - Lawrence Of Arabia  - too many vista shots to show off the 70MM film and specially made lenses to go with it too - just for that film only, hehe - great for us now though.) - would take you years to download that!! it IS the biggest sized movie I have...and it can only be watched via USB! (100Mbps NIC / iffy Wi-Fi for such high bandwidth)

Surely is there nothing else between NOW and 2026 for FTTP? get your neighbours to form a committee and complain!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 01:33:24 AM by snadge »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2021, 01:56:44 AM »

yes, that was a great test on the MY BT page (thanks j0hn) as it cut out all the "internet" basically, and tested directly from device to the exchange and back, so not even the pod or cab, but the exchange (which is better news then using CABS or PODS instead), as it would be much less accurate. So direct to the exchange is perfect, beyond that is beyond most peoples control now in terms of testing - to manny testing, cant supply the bandwidth too many variables now - even on VDSL, I had to find a good server that reflected true results!!

FTTP goes directly back to the exchange, the closest it may go to a CAB is an aggregation node as the CAB will connect to a different fibre in the bundle there.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2021, 06:31:26 AM »

> Surely is there nothing else between NOW and 2026 for FTTP?
Long story.

>get your neighbours to form a committee and complain!

Most only care about spending the minimum amount of money, not about quality or reliability, although some complain bitterly when they lose their internet access for days/weeks. Many use the local long-distance wireless network, very cheap.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2021, 08:48:24 AM »

> Surely is there nothing else between NOW and 2026 for FTTP?
Long story.

>get your neighbours to form a committee and complain!

Most only care about spending the minimum amount of money, not about quality or reliability, although some complain bitterly when they lose their internet access for days/weeks. Many use the local long-distance wireless network, very cheap.

what a shame!
 - what's the wireless option? and why have you chosen to avoid it?
- and what about STARLINK? (musks internet) they are 200 up & down on some I've seen!! can't you apply for that, i know of some in the rural UK who have it.

notice I removed my speed test result from my sig, after our discussions I've realised its an "in-yer-face" to people like yourself, I noticed everyone else has a simple sig too, so didn't want to be odd one out. haha

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »

I don’t know much about the wireless network, but the nth hand rumours I hear are that it is very unreliable, with no guaranteed fix time. The system ought to be really slow, again rumour, because it’s - guess 5Mbps - shared between dozens of users.

I value reliability more than speed. Also you may not know that I’m almost entirely confined to my bed, because of ME/CFS, chronic pain and the effects of very powerful pain drugs. So I can’t go in for speculative setup work to find out if some untried system is going to work. Also I like my current ISP and need their powerful support. This is a long story which you can read about discussed to death in previous threads where I have been shouted at because my priorities, needs and abilities are not the same as those of others.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2021, 09:30:20 AM »

I don’t know much about the wireless network, but the nth hand rumours I hear are that it is very unreliable, with no guaranteed fix time. The system ought to be really slow, again rumour, because it’s - guess 5Mbps - shared between dozens of users.

I value reliability more than speed. Also you may not know that I’m almost entirely confined to my bed, because of ME/CFS, chronic pain and the effects of very powerful pain drugs. So I can’t go in for speculative setup work to find out if some untried system is going to work. Also I like my current ISP and need their powerful support. This is a long story which you can read about discussed to death in previous threads where I have been shouted at because my priorities, needs and abilities are not the same as those of others.

Respect!
and sorry to hear of your ME, I know people with it and know it can be anything from always heavy fatigued to completely crippled in pain, I have Serious liver issues and serious mental health problems (from a very extreme traumatic childhood/youth - not ashamed to admit it)

Stability is what you need as you say, you need as little to deal with as possible.

I hope the medications at least relieve some of the pain, I myself am on two medications for life, with quarterly hospital visit check-ups after a successful 3rd treatment (with real nasty dangerous new drugs with black box warnings, 2nd one almost killed me!) at resolving my liver problem, but 20 years of it and I'm not feeling better.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2021, 01:41:56 PM »

thanks guys will take a look - as i say fast wifi speed is not much of a 'want', other than i need 5Ghz AC on it - not bothered about wifi speed - just a good 1Gbit router with 3rd party FW and VPN abilities, and some port triggering for opening and closing ports on-demand and anything else that may help - more options/abilities - the better

Actually, Wi-Fi speed IS a factor now, because even with the SmartHub (not HomeHub as I've been incorrectly calling it) just 3 inches away from the TV; it goes from 50-180 (but the tester is absolute garbage) and on that 5Ghz a 4K Video (a remux -so it has ultra-high bitrates, well over 100Mbps on fast scenes - average 65Mbps), this is streaming from PLEX to TV, or DLNA to TV.

I've read that it's meant to be able to use 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz together Bonded for higher speeds? is this true?, but I've never seen it happen yet, although the SM2 does NOT allow you to split the channels (whilst both broadcasting, unlike other routers I've had) - it can only be both on or one on, so I turned BOTH on now, and i will keep an eye on it.

EDIT: I suppose I could use DLNA somehow on a file transfer to the TV's storage/USB for real Wi-Fi-to-TV speed results
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 02:00:47 PM by snadge »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything