Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: BT 900 installed, experiences and questions  (Read 7480 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: BT 900 installed, experiences and questions
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2021, 05:46:11 PM »

If you have the Home Hub directly connected to the ONT, you can run a network speedtest to the hub via the BT app to see what speeds are achieved.

Openreach are separately trialing https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/11/openreach-trial-fttp-broadband-speed-test-to-identify-faults.html

As others have said, don't worry about the PON - Openreach are trialling faster GPON / XG-PON solutions which they can rollout if the demand is there..

I don't know if it's true, but do BT install FTTP for ALL connection speeds now?, and are other ISPs..? to get rid of Copper once and for all? (still got mine)

Not yet, but that is the longer term plan. However, all the FTTC speed options are also on FTTP.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 05:48:46 PM by gt94sss2 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2021, 05:55:46 PM »

Not yet, but that is the longer term plan. However, all the FTTC speed options are also on FTTP.

Actually this is already rolling out. https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/product-withdrawal/stop-sells-updates
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 06:29:03 PM »

Actually this is already rolling out. https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/product-withdrawal/stop-sells-updates

Yes, the process has started at a handful of exchanges - Openreach need to wait until at 75% of addresses are enabled for Ultrafast and then give the industry 12 months notice..

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2021, 06:47:17 PM »

Yes, the process has started at a handful of exchanges - Openreach need to wait until at 75% of addresses are enabled for Ultrafast and then give the industry 12 months notice..

Not sure how 135 exchanges with 62 more the start of next year is "a handful".
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2021, 07:50:24 PM »

The process has started at quite a few exchanges but only a handful have hit the 75% coverage target.
That only triggers a 12 month notice for stop sell and a no go back on copper.

I'm not sure other than Salisbury if any exchange is actually FTTP only yet. Even Salisbury isn't 100% complete.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2021, 03:41:37 AM »

The point is, its started.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2021, 04:47:59 AM »

I find it incredible that the OP is moaning about 450 Mbps downstream, don’t remember the upstream, but the downstream is 180 times faster than my copper lines (one, that is, not all three, so it’s like-for-like, one link vs one link).

As earlier posters have suggested, order ethernet from eg AA for £god knows (£900+ per month?) and you will have a full symmetric 1GBps or 10Gbps all day all night 24hrs, and then the speed you get will be limited by the ISP, maybe, by the wider internet, by servers at the far end and by the possibly inadequate speed of your own kit.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2021, 08:10:05 AM »

I find it incredible that the OP is moaning about 450 Mbps downstream, ...

I would be extremely happy with that speed too but I think the issue is more about how the service is marketed. Looking at BTs site for the 900Mbps service (https://www.bt.com/products/broadband/full-fibre-learn) it says "With Full Fibre (also known as FTTP) there’s no copper cable or sharing with your neighbours. Just speeds up to 25x faster than our standard fibre.". The 'no sharing' bit is highly misleading and suggests to me everyone can have 900Mbps all of the time, which we know cannot be true given the contended configuration of the system. It does also say "Speeds up to 900Mb, all the time", so we've got 'up to' and 'all the time' in the same sentence.
I'm sure their lawyers went over all of the wording so they can get around the awkward questions.  :no:

BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2021, 09:11:04 AM »

I find it incredible that the OP is moaning about 450 Mbps downstream, don’t remember the upstream, but the downstream is 180 times faster than my copper lines (one, that is, not all three, so it’s like-for-like, one link vs one link).

As earlier posters have suggested, order ethernet from eg AA for £god knows (£900+ per month?) and you will have a full symmetric 1GBps or 10Gbps all day all night 24hrs, and then the speed you get will be limited by the ISP, maybe, by the wider internet, by servers at the far end and by the possibly inadequate speed of your own kit.

You do not have to pay that much, how about £99 a month for symmetric 3GBps and 6 months free from Community Fibre in London https://communityfibre.co.uk/

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2021, 09:29:01 AM »

I have no idea how much for example AA charges for ethernet over a leased line, but that is a BT product resold, I assume, so anyone who knows BT’s prices could guide us here.

That community fibre sounds great, wonder what they have at the upstream end of it.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2021, 10:03:06 AM »

Hi Guys & Gals  :)

I found a way to test your speed by testing via torrents on seedboxes ('paid for' servers holding the files - many on different servers with the exact same file - so tons of bandwidth available), i was able to draw 108MiB/s on a single torrent = 903Mbps almost constantly - between 65MiB/s-108MiB/s but if the bandwidth is available (seeders on seedboxes, or fast upload at home) it hits it. so that's good to know that if I can draw it, I will be given it, providing the server can supply such bandwidth. One thing I noticed most the speed/bandwidth came from IP's in The Netherlands, and they are quite close in terms of fibre.

I couldn't find the tester that J0hn mentioned in MY BT - can anyone guide me, please?

Also, I found on BT forums, a guy with the same response on speed testing BT900 with online speed tests, he has a chart showing he was the same getting 400-800 on tests for days, so decided to change his testing method, then the second half of his graph was 900 solid. He said "what changed?", he used 'Amazon S3 Buckets'?? to transfer files back and forth every day for testing and was hitting over 900 every single time. I dunno what those are so will google them.

just for those interested, here is a "screen-crop" of his chart: (credit to nino on BT forums) as you can see, on the 17th he changed it and it is solid.

I've learned a lot in the last few days, its what I love about this website.

cheers
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:31:02 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2021, 10:29:23 AM »

I respect you Weaver, so please don't take this the wrong way, but this is a typical response from someone who lives in rural, or has poor connectivity and only gets slow ADSL like speeds - yours is 5Mbps ADSL I'm guessing if it is 180 times slower than a BT900 PON connection - I feel your pain, it was a simple case of needing to learn more on the MO, and I have and have come to an understanding and thanked everyone on the topic for their help and advice both here and on BT forums, especially J0hn!

Im sure you won't be waiting long before you can get faster speeds, you must be miles away from the cabinet/exchange and out in the willy nillys are you?

cheers

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »

In practical everyday experience terms, would anybody be aware of contention issues?
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »

> this is a typical response from someone who lives in rural, or has poor connectivity and only gets slow ADSL like speeds - yours is 5Mbps ADSL I'm guessing

Agreed! I used the guaranteed figure of 450 Mbps and compared that with 2.5 Mbps downstream from one of my lines. I have three lines IP-bonded together, so actually enjoy about 7.6 Mbps downstream TCP payload throughput and about 0.9 Mbps upstream as reported by speedtest2.aa.net.uk. The upstream bonded efficiency should be a lot better than that at the moment, and I have moaned at AA in the past about debugging their own Firebrick FB2900 router in this regard. Upstream total should be about 1.2 Mbps or better.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2021, 05:45:59 PM »

Hi everyone :)

I googled how to use MY BT speed test for BT900 FTTP (as I can't find the one J0hn mentions)- the first result was a post in the BTforums, it says BT recommends fast.com...hmm take a look at this - 1.2Gbps / 3ms to Leeds?

that can't be right surely...? went as high as 1.9Gbps?? and 3ms ping to Leeds, yet locally i get 20ms - it seems to me to be like a fake to keep people happy? because I have never drawn more than 910Mbps, that's the limit, and it is capped at 1000MBbps in the PON/Router.

Loaded goes up to 55ms when changed in settings "Measure loaded latency during upload" as seen below

funny thing too! - on NordVPN on all speed tests i can get around 200-300Mbps - but on FAST.com it reports speeds in a few kilobits per second maybe jumping to 6-12Mbps then instantly back to 5-300Kbps - it ended on 450Kbps - even in UK servers? - turn it off and back up to 1.4Gbps within 2 seconds..!!

What's different about FAST that gives those odd-looking results?

can anyone explain that?
Thanks in advance

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:49:30 PM by snadge »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything