Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: BT 900 installed, experiences and questions  (Read 7483 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
BT 900 installed, experiences and questions
« on: November 14, 2021, 03:38:08 PM »

Hi all,

firstly, I got my BT FTTP 900 installed and sorted and it's brilliant, even when using Nord's VPNs I'm hitting 300-400Mbps, trying ExpressVPN next month. my LG B8 OLED TV with its 100BASE-T NIC could only manage 93Mbps - but on 5Ghz Wi-Fi it was getting 300Mbps.... mobile is about the same and between 750-910Mbps download on the PC via G/Bit LAN, ping is between 10ms and 18ms ...happy days :)

secondly, my experience: when the linesman first arrived (it was a very young lad from M.J. QUINNS, and said he had been on a 2-week training course for it, and this was his third month in on the job.), he said he wasn't going to do it, because it was going to be 'time-consuming' coming in through the back of the flat, and they are "paid per job" (3-4 per day) and running along where the copper is was no option he said, and it was left in place as he didn't want to 'waste time' removing it, I said just run it through the kitchen (as an external wall JB is there), along the ceiling and down and into the stud wall, behind which is the router and plugs!!??

- so he rang his boss, while i worryingly rang the BT connections dept. who spoke to him and suggested pulling the fibre from a pole facing my living room, which he did, and it turned out to be a better prospect for both of us regarding the speed of the job for him, the cables are now very close to all LAN devices etc, the ONT is behind the TV of course to hide it, had the nosey neighbour downstairs asking him a million questions, such as "why did no one come out to install his fibre?" (could see the guys face drop like he was sick of explaining it hehe) - he explained it's the 'last mile is copper' to him - to which he very surprisingly didn't moan about, BUT asked who it was for (nosey bugger) and he told him.  I wouldn't be surprised if I got a letter from Bernicia Housing saying there has been a complaint!

So this leads me to some questions I'm hoping my fellow Kitizens can help me with?

1) How do you turn off the 'BT Wi-Fi Hot Spot' as I don't want ANYONE using my connection, I'm not bothered about using theirs on the go, i never would have.

2) is there a better router than the HH2, I still have the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A I used on Plusnet. but don't know if it's better than the home hub 2?

3) I would like a router that has AC/N Wi-Fi, but also allows you to try out 3rd party firmware, so you can get extra features, I'm after one that will let you run your choice of VPN through it.

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 05:35:20 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: BT 900 installed, experiences and questions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 05:13:27 PM »

1. Opting out of BT WiFi is easy enough - https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-
However saying that it can be quite useful when out and about and it's on a separate isolated SSID from your own so isn't an issue. It also gives priority to your usage so won't slow your connection.
2. You can use the Zyxel on the connection and if you did you wouldn't need to worry about the BT WiFi as it can't transmit it (and you could still use it when out and about if desired). Whether it's any better than the HH2 on a fibre connection depends on what you mean by 'better'. It's certainly more configurable but the wireless speed and range may not be quite as good.
3. I'll leave others to answer that one.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 05:29:52 PM »

1. Opting out of BT WiFi is easy enough - https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi-
However saying that it can be quite useful when out and about and it's on a separate isolated SSID from your own so isn't an issue. It also gives priority to your usage so won't slow your connection.
2. You can use the Zyxel on the connection and if you did you wouldn't need to worry about the BT WiFi as it can't transmit it (and you could still use it when out and about if desired). Whether it's any better than the HH2 on a fibre connection depends on what you mean by 'better'. It's certainly more configurable but the wireless speed and range may not be quite as good.
3. I'll leave others to answer that one.

thanks, i got no. 1 done thanks, and got 12 month free Xbox pass which is good if you're a hardcore gamer (I'm not but own an Xbox One X)
yeah wifi isn't really an issue to me as i use LAN - only my phone uses wifi - so really its just something that will work with this connection and can give me all sorts of options like Port Triggering and the ability to run your choice of VPN on it so all devices are covered by it

edit: it has to have wifi 5 (ac) at least anyway (5Ghz)

cheers
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 05:33:11 PM by snadge »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 08:12:26 PM »

3: Routers that are capable of handling 900/100 with WiFi.
  • Mikrotik RB4011
  • Mikrotik hAP ac3
  • Amplifi Alien
  • Mikrotik hAP ac2

There are other options if you're looking for mesh WiFi, but those would be my recommendations to start with.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 09:07:48 PM »

Asus routers are pretty good with Merlins firmware, I would avoid Netgear routers (Correct me if I'm wrong) they have issues with BT's type of IPV6

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 09:22:45 AM »

thanks guys will take a look - as i say fast wifi speed is not much of a 'want', other than i need 5Ghz AC on it - not bothered about wifi speed - just a good 1Gbit router with 3rd party FW and VPN abilities, and some port triggering for opening and closing ports on demand and anything else that may help - more options/abilities - the better

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 09:37:28 AM »

Well "more options" I'd possibly be looking at the fastest hardware you can find for OpenWRT or go for a pfSense appliance.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 10:04:28 AM »

You get a lot of options with a Draytec! 2927 series is worth a look. The VPN capabilities are really good.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 11:21:38 AM »

I've not been able to figure out how to turn off the BT Wifi in recent years as the instructions on that page doesn't make sense. There is no 'Your Package', and I can't Manage BT Wifi. It's only got a button called Learn.

An easy way to not use it though is to use a different router, as its the BT Wifi is built in to the router. It's very poor that they don't let us toggle the option on the router ourselves. But I've no doubt making it difficult was part of their plan.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 11:29:50 AM »

The reason you can't just toggle it on the router is because it is a network function, not just a matter of turning it off on the BT hub. I.e if you opt out you also have to be opted out of accessing hotspots with your account whilst out and about.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 11:30:46 AM »

To be fair BT WiFi is a clever idea to roll out roaming WiFi to almost everywhere.

I used it for about a month when they worked with FON (so I had a separate WiFi AP to opt-in from a third party ISP), especially when I lost 90Mbit VDSL and had to put up with slow ADSL for a while.  I even had a DG834 configured with OpenWRT that automatically logged into the network, that I used at a friends house who (back then) didn't have Internet access.

Was disconcerted though when they changed how it worked from using a tunnel (so traffic was completely independent of your own so you weren't accountable if someone used it for something illegal, it was tunneled to BTs network so could be accountable to who was logged in) to just plain routing (they claimed it was still accountable, but I had my doubts).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 11:42:28 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 11:33:31 AM »

What leads you to believe it isn't still tunneled?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 11:36:16 AM »

What leads you to believe it isn't still tunneled?

It might be on BT Broadband, but they stopped doing so on FON.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 11:40:32 AM »

Wouldn't know about FON, but it is still tunneled on BT broadband.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »

It might be on BT Broadband, but they stopped doing so on FON.

There's zero security implications allowing other BT customers to use the BT WiFi from your Hub.
Anyone accessing BT WiFi from someone else's BT hub gets their own dedicated IP.

It also only uses free bandwidth that you aren't using.
Priority is always given to the customer who's hub it is.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything