Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Split From -- Mikrotik Chateau 5G - Ultimate home AP with ultra-fast LTE/5G support  (Read 1734 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

[Modrator Note: This topic has been created by splitting off posts made to the "Mikrotik Chateau 5G - Ultimate home AP with ultra-fast LTE/5G support" thread.]

The IPQ4019 is a Wave-2 802.11ac chipset, so the above is the extent of what it can support.

WiFi 6/ 802.11ax cannot be added to ac hardware, it would like expecting 5G to be a software patch for 4G simply because it might use the same radio frequencies.

Oh, I agree, I'm quite sure Mikrotik will go WiFi 6e when it's finally out.

Mea maxima culpa. I haven’t read the 802.11ax chipset or 6GHz-related stuff, so I don’t know what I’m talking about. Don’t know how much additional good stuff 802.11ax brings nor what the requirements are for hardware.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 03:35:18 PM by burakkucat »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Usual stuff, more efficient use of radio spectrum, slightly faster, then WiFi 6e adds the 6Ghz spectrum to get away from DFS and give us plenty of more slightly shorter range bandwidth.

Kinda sucks the new Macbooks are only WiFi 6 not e, particularly as I'm having some bizarre issues lately on 5Ghz where it can jump between 200Mbit and 800Mbit, on various channels.  Upstream is stuck at 100Mbit. :/
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

This is why for high performance I wouldn’t ever bother with a laptop. They’re expensive, slow CPUs because of thermal limitations and concern with saving energy for long battery life, and 802.11xx is slow compared with gigabit or 10gig wired ethernet.

I have used them in the past when I had no other choice. Nowadays I’m iPad-only, which is kind-of ironic having just said that, but I don’t expect my iPads to be ultra-high performance, ARM64 presumably isn’t as fast as desktop/server Intel x64 or top-end Ryzen CPUs? And my old WAPs are constrained to 300Mbps, so one day when I’m flush I will get something modern. Will probably be AA-supplied Aruba so I can get config help and support, given my brain limitations.

Slept through the first hour of my German class tonight. That’s ME/CFS for you. I then joined belatedly, in Zoom, with an "Ich schlief! Ich habe gerade aufgewacht!" - which was ungrammatical, has to be ‘bin’ not ‘habe’ with aufwachen, but I didn’t spot that when I looked it up.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

This is why for high performance I wouldn’t ever bother with a laptop. They’re expensive, slow CPUs because of thermal limitations and concern with saving energy for long battery life, and 802.11xx is slow compared with gigabit or 10gig wired ethernet.

ARM64 presumably isn’t as fast as desktop/server Intel x64 or top-end Ryzen CPUs?

I just got my first ever Macbook Pro, Apple Silicon ARM64 is very much faster than my Intel i9 9900k desktop in CPU (which honestly is faster than most peoples PCs) and the 16" model does not throttle on battery.  The top end model (I couldn't afford that one) also gets awfully close to PC mobile GPUs top performance, but it does have to throttle if you max out the CPU and GPU concurrently.

It also has the best screen on the market, absolutely floored how insane its HDR support is compared to my LG OLED TV, the sound is equally as impressive.

I'm really not a fan of Apple or MacOS.  I'm growing to hate MacOS with a passion as its lagging behind every other OS is ease of use and how they are using a none-standard UK keyboard layout on their laptops with very shallow keys so its really hard to type on, but its far less compromised than every other laptop I've owned. (except the inability to upgrade the internals in any way, this was necessary to get that performance)

I actually benchmark all my devices for a rough comparison between them and you can see how ARM64 is likely to murder Ryzen once they make a Mac Pro based on it.  Apple have the huge advantage of being able to re-work the hardware and OS in parallel so they can use fixed-purpose silicon to offload tasks that are inefficient on general purpose CPUs, while software still just sees the same APIs.

Back to WiFi, on a good day, 802.11ax gets awfully close to Gigabit wired, I just wish it was more consistent seeing as I'm right in front of the Access Point.  I think this is mostly down to radio spectrum sharing, there could be any number of devices using the spectrum that wont show up to a WiFi card except as background noise.  The idea is 6Ghz should suffer from this less as it was only really used for point to point links.  We absolutely need a spectrum that is ONLY used for WiFi devices so they can see each other and use time division multiple access to properly organise airtime fairness.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

That’s really good to know about Apple Silicon ARM64. I didn’t know it was that good, even in a mobile application.

As for WLAN, do you have neighbours ?

DaveC

• Reg Member

I'm growing to hate MacOS with a passion as its lagging behind every other OS is ease of use and how they are using a none-standard UK keyboard layout on their laptops...

I just use the "British - PC" keymap - this puts things back where they belong. 

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

I just use the "British - PC" keymap - this puts things back where they belong. 

Thanks for that, I tried Googling it and so much nonsense came up.  If I had bothered to look in the settings, would have been obvious.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

<Cough> Recent posts to this thread are completely off-topic. As a reminder, here is the subject line of meritez' opening post --

"Mikrotik Chateau 5G - Ultimate home AP with ultra-fast LTE/5G support"
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Apologies to the OP. :-(

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

Hangs head in shame.

anything