Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X  (Read 1896 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
« on: November 10, 2021, 07:37:30 PM »

I was thinking of getting a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X (ER-X) in order to create a fail over system.

My current set up is very basic. I am using a TP-Link W9970 (wifi disabled) and a Netgear R6120 configured in AP mode.

I have 40/10 fibre (FTTC) from Uno with TTB.

I have a Huawei B535-235 4G router as a backup (which I connect if my fibre connection drops)

I have never set up such a unit and prior to getting it I wanted to make sure that I have understood a couple of points which I am unsure of.

Being a novice I was going to use the quick set up wizard on the Ubiquiti. I am puzzled by the set up in the Ubiquiti router

The set up wizard initially offers three options types for connecting to the internet.

(a) DHCP. Automatically obtain network settings from the internet service provider.

(b) Static IP (Use this option if your ISP provided you with a static public IP address)

(c) PPPoE (Use this option if your ISP authenticates your internet connection using PPPoE.)

As per image at bottom

3 Questions:

1. I presume that both the W9970 and B535 have to be run in bridge mode (which they can) in order to be connected to the Ubiquiti?

2. For the W9970, would I select option (b) or (c) for WAN1 from above list?

3. For the B535, I presume that I would select option (a) for WAN2 from the above list since mobile IP addresses are dynamic?

Many thanks for any info provided
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 08:52:03 PM by risk_reversal »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 07:57:11 PM »

Being a novice I was going to use the quick set up wizard on the Ubiquiti. I am puzzled by the set up in the Ubiquiti router

The set up wizard initially offers three options types for connecting to the internet.

(a) DHCP. Automatically obtain network settings from the internet service provider.

(b) Static IP (Use this option if your ISP provided you with a static public IP address)

(c) PPPoE (Use this option if your ISP authenticates your internet connection using PPPoE.)

As per image at bottom

3 Questions:

1. I presume that both the W9970 and B535 have to be run in bridge mode (which they can) in order to be connected to the Ubiquiti?

2. For the W9970, would I select option (b) or (c) for WAN1 from above list?

3. For the B535, I presume that I would select option (c) for WAN2 from the above list since mobile IP addresses are dynamic?

1. Yes.

2. Use the setting equivalent to that used for the W9970. (I suspect it is (c).)

3. Yes, use (c).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 08:51:31 PM »

Thank your for your reply burakkucat.

2. Use the setting equivalent to that used for the W9970. (I suspect it is (c).)
On my W9970 I use PPPoE

3. Yes, use (c).

Just noted that in my original post the set up for the 4G router I did a typo and put option (c) which may not be correct. I think I should have put option (a) ie to use DHCP. Would not that be more correct, since I do not have PPPoE settings for my 4G settings.

(Have corrected this in my original post)

Cheers

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 09:39:18 PM »

Yes, my understanding is that for 4G you just use DHCP - the modem takes care of whatever it needs to take care of, and passes the IP/DNS etc to your router via DHCP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 10:21:04 PM »

Just noted that in my original post the set up for the 4G router I did a typo and put option (c) which may not be correct. I think I should have put option (a) ie to use DHCP. Would not that be more correct, since I do not have PPPoE settings for my 4G settings.

Ah, then in that case I would test with (a) . . . as DaveC also believes it to be the case.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 12:20:11 AM »

Also, while we’re always here, can Uno also do some handholding / debug ?

Just in case electronic communications cause misunderstandings, seeing as no tone is conveyed::
This is a suggestion for a plan B, if we’re stuck, not intended to ration your visits to this forum!!  :no:  :no:  Do ask as many questions as you need.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 08:42:44 AM »

Yes, my understanding is that for 4G you just use DHCP - the modem takes care of whatever it needs to take care of, and passes the IP/DNS etc to your router via DHCP.

Cheers.

Also, while we’re always here, can Uno also do some handholding / debug ?

Just in case electronic communications cause misunderstandings, seeing as no tone is conveyed::
This is a suggestion for a plan B, if we’re stuck, not intended to ration your visits to this forum!!  :no:  :no:  Do ask as many questions as you need.

Don't think that Uno would do any hand holding.

I have watched numerous YouTube videos about setting this particular unit up and I think that it should, in theory, be relatively easy to get this up and running with 2 ISPs just needed clarity on the above points.

My Ubiquiti should arrive in a few days, if I hit any further snags I shall revert.

Many thanks to all

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 10:10:20 AM »

Best of luck with the ER-X, I gave mine away and got hold of a Mikrotik RB750gr3.
Same chipset, same RAM, usb port, micro sd slot, but the vendor software is capable of twice the throughput of the ER-X.

Are you looking at the W9970 and the B535 to look after the PPP sessions, and using the ER-X in double nat?

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 04:37:12 PM »

Best of luck with the ER-X, I gave mine away and got hold of a Mikrotik RB750gr3.
Same chipset, same RAM, usb port, micro sd slot, but the vendor software is capable of twice the throughput of the ER-X.

Are you looking at the W9970 and the B535 to look after the PPP sessions, and using the ER-X in double nat?

No just merely looking for a fail over solution which works better than my current set up in case my fibre connection drops.

Well my networking knowledge is not that great, think advanced beginner, so I know what NAT is in principle and hope that it won't happen but will investigate that after I have gotten the EX-R up and running and will probably post again when / if I run into any new issues.

Hoping that if I run the W9970 and B535 in bridge mode this will avoid NAT issues but again I am only a beginner at this.

Cheers

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 01:21:16 PM »

Has it arrived yet?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 06:53:15 PM »

IMO its pointless worrying about double-NAT when all the mobile networks use CGNAT.  Its only really relevant when YOU have control over the private to public NAT controls for things like uPNP, port forwarding and DMZ.

I tried using Three in bridge mode (AFAIK the only provider that has an option for a public IP) but the mode on their network that doesn't use CGNAT has some major performance issues so I ended up reverting back to CGNAT anyway to get a semi-reliable service.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 06:55:59 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 03:42:21 PM »

Has it arrived yet?

Bought it on fleebay but it seems to have got lost in the post! Trying to fathom out what the issue is

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 04:01:41 PM »

Bought it on fleebay but it seems to have got lost in the post! Trying to fathom out what the issue is

Have you got a tracking reference, ebay are usually quite good at sorting this stuff out.

I'm going to see if I can get one of these to do dual wan routing: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB941-2nD-TC
£15 from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LibertyShield-Lite-Configured-Country-Router/dp/B017W43M4M/
Need to netinstall to remove preconfigured stuff: https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall
Youtube video on how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_E5G5BoMMs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y6Wt9iEXTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oumoO_toKcU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHIMJrl4uDc

Powered via micro usb, so could be powered from a usb slot on another router.

anything