Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dedicated VDSL Modem  (Read 919 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Dedicated VDSL Modem
« on: November 10, 2021, 09:20:29 AM »

Hi,

I've not had anything to do with standalone modems so far, but I'm looking at an application connecting two FTTC circuits to an Ethernet only firewall.  What would be the panel's recommendation for a suitable modem?  Needs to be available new, and preferably zero configuration so if one of them fails a new one can simple be shipped and swapped without any configuration work?

Suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance, Tony S

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Dedicated VDSL Modem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 09:57:11 AM »

Not sure any are zero configuration as typically they are routers converted to bridge mode.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.  There certainly used to be zero-configuration modems, but all the specific models seem to be discontinued.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »

What about the DrayTek Vigor 130 modems? These are standalone and require no configuration for BT FTTC. I used them at one time on my two lines and A&A Firebrick without a hitch, only returning to my ZyXels (modem/router) which were better performers on my lines.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 11:40:21 AM »

I know others prefer Zyxel, reporting better performance, but the Huawei HG612s have proved so rock-solid for me over the years I forget I have them, so I would overlook the fact that they are only available used.  They work in bridge mode out of the box with zero configuration, and are so cheap you can afford to have 1 or 2 spares lying around (not that I've ever needed a spare).

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 12:25:01 PM »

Depends on cab type for my choice. I used to use zyxels but switched to vigor 130 as I am on an eci cab. Better latency and I have manipulated the ds snr using the snr offset lifting my ds sync by 5mb. No issues with dlm either. Do you know what cab you are on?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 12:33:02 PM by skyeci »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 12:12:47 AM »

The Draytek Vigor 130 is truly zero-config. But you could order a modem from AA and they would preconfigure it for you anyway? They preconfigured a ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A and shipped it to me. I adapted that config slightly, and used it as the basis for the config in all my many other modems, but configured as needed per-modem because they have to differ unfortunately, as they are destined for duty in different ‘slots’, ie. as intended for which one of the lines.

(AA has a config design that I don’t like so much on balance, but it has the great advantage of not requiring you to have different modem configs per slot/device and to have to keep them straight. Mine have to be labelled. My spare modems are sometimes preconfigured for some slot or other which is bound to be the wrong one on the day, so not much point in it. They work fine if configured with the wrong slot as far as talking to the internet goes; it’s just that I can’t talk to them and monitor them in situ. Luckily I have an iPad program to configure modems appropriately per slot and that completely automates the whole config part of the process. Still have to faff about with setting IP source addresses, getting the patient in the right subnet so I can even initially talk to it in order to configure it, and so forth.)

[Moderator edit to correct a typo.]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 02:56:06 PM by burakkucat »

anything