Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Serious PayPal Flaw Disclosed  (Read 7350 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Serious PayPal Flaw Disclosed
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 04:36:51 PM »

Im sure were used to the usual phising mails by now, but this just shows  that we have to be extra careful. :(

"The paypal.com domain name and SSL certificate he saw previously are likely to make him realize he has visited the genuine PayPal web site - why would he expect PayPal to redirect him to a fraudulent web site?"
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 07:34:03 PM »

Maybe if they had something like "spoofstick" installed it may of helped.

I'm not going to repeat the benefits of this little "add-on" to either IE or firefox, because their home page says it all "better than me"

Just choose the correct DL, either for Internet Explorer or Firefox.
The downloads are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.spoofstick.com/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 10:49:02 AM »

Quote from: "oldfogy"
Maybe if they had something like "spoofstick" installed it may of helped.
I'm not going to repeat the benefits of this little "add-on" to either IE or firefox, because their home page says it all "better than me"

Good find OF

Added it to my browser helper page

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »

Sorry but I can't take the credit for finding it.

It came from (you know where) not so long ago when I started posting with regards to, Phishing e-mails from Barclays.
It also worked very well, although it's best to select "small icon" on the toolbar. (personal choice)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 07:03:54 PM »

well thanks for passing it on anyway :)
-----

stan

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 06:42:47 PM »

I had problems with PayPal a long time ago, now I will never use them again.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:50:21 PM »

Although I have never used PayPal and probably never will, problems can happen with any organisation.

For instance.
Last year I paid a gas bill to British Gas by credit card, two weeks later I received a phone call from British Gas saying they had lost my payment details along with many other transactions on that day (lost in the computer system was their first answer), of which they said they had also reported it to the police and I should inform my credit card company.

Later in the conversation after I phoned them back "with the telephone number that I always use" (not the one they then wanted me to phone back on, when I said I would phone them back to re-make the payment and give out the details again) (I'm not that stupid), they then said they think the details were "STOLEN" along with others.

OK, this was reported to my credit card company.
Then, two to three weeks later at 9:30 am one Sunday morning I received a phone call from my credit card company asking if I had "JUST" used my card to purchase phone credits, NO I replied as I'm still in bed and my card is still in my possession (I had checked by this time) also had I purchased various other items, NO I replied.

Needles to say my card had been cloned since giving out the details to British Gas, "as I had only just received this new card and new number and British Gas was the only place it had been used" I leave the conclusion up-to-you?.

My credit card company refunded every penny of the transactions without any quibble.

I even received a call from them a long time ago before this incident, asking if I was still in the country, no I replied, I'm in Turkey, O thats ok then, as it's just been used in Turkey to purchase goods. (My dinner).

In case it's of interest it was and still is Goldfish. (One f it's "previous" was British Gas) :lol:

What better service and monitoring services have you ever encountered?
(And yes it was a Chip and Pin card)
(And No you can't have the number) [-X

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Re: Serious PayPal Flaw Disclosed
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:06:49 PM »

Use Opera web browser.  There are no security issues presently outstanding with Opera 9.01 (see Secunia.com web site).

There was a cross scripting issue which was fixed at version 8.01.

8)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 09:11:53 PM by hake »
Windows XP

archie123

• Team Mashed
Re: Serious PayPal Flaw Disclosed
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 09:22:19 AM »

Use Opera web browser.  There are no security issues presently outstanding with Opera 9.01 (see Secunia.com web site).

There was a cross scripting issue which was fixed at version 8.01.

8)

i use Opera most of the time , when i visit the paypal site the secure padlock icon doesnt show as locked , after mentioning this on their forums i was told it was because the loaded page was only half secure some of the items were "non secure"!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My bloody card details were on that site!!!!!!!!

not anymore they aint ;)

anything