Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Eating cardboard  (Read 652 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Eating cardboard
« on: November 07, 2021, 09:36:10 PM »

My wife has told me that whenever she gets a cardboard box she puts it outside and our donkeys come running in delight. George puts one hoof down on the cardboard and then pulls pieces off it and eats it all, leaving nothing. I hope she gives them a box each in case Gilbert gets nothing, George being the dominant one, and larger; two males.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Eating cardboard
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 10:56:34 PM »

:)

Maru, the Japanese "box cat", is known to modify boxes, sometimes also eating bits of them. His blog is written by his house-keeper, mugumogu, and also features the exploits of his adoptive sisters, Hana & Miri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhgvAWgg8eI
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 01:36:38 AM »

Ah, I’ve visited the website before, perhaps following your recommendation? Charming!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 08:19:19 AM »

From what I can gather this is not recommended as cardboard cannot be digested and can cause blockages.  Plus while they're usually none-toxic, there is no way to be sure it hasn't bee contaminated in transit.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 12:20:25 PM »

I wonder about the pigments on them. Amazon boxes are especially favoured. I think the donkeys eat wood all the time, so maybe it’s their internal bacteria that do the digestion ? Don’t know. They’re of course desert animals and will eat bushes, scrub, stuff that is basically wood with a few leaves. I could ask the vet.

I hear what you say about contaminants, good point.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 05:26:17 PM »

Yeah from a little Googling its common for animals to eat cardboard as to them its similar to stuff they would eat in the wild, but of course its a man-made product so doesn't react the same to the digestive system.

We got extra paranoid when we had Rabbits as one of them got a respiratory problem and died, likely from wood shavings as while they are commonly sold as bedding its a big no no as the sap vapour is toxic and we didn't know.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 12:48:03 AM »

God, I didn’t know that about rabbits and wood shavings. Living on a farm we had wood shavings for bedding for cattle, also used them for guinea pigs * 22 approx [!]. Had guinea pigs in Skye too when we first came here.

Is hay the right thing for rabbits then?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 10:30:38 AM »

Straw and hay, but being careful about mould which is also highly toxic (well to everyone, but especially rabbits).

Some rabbits will eat a lot of straw which is no nutritional value for them, so we ended up giving ours only hay in the end.

Then there is the whole rabbit hole (pun intended) if WHAT hay, as some types are bad for them or can wrap around their feet and cut off their circulation.

Bottom line, Rabbits are much more tricky than people think if you want to keep them alive and healthy.

https://rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 10:34:47 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

anything