Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Trial New FTTP on Demand Pricing and Coverage  (Read 2726 times)

toonshorty

Openreach Trial New FTTP on Demand Pricing and Coverage
« on: November 01, 2021, 04:02:14 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/11/openreach-trial-new-fttp-on-demand-pricing-and-coverage.html

Openreach (BT) has today announced both a UK coverage expansion of their niche FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD or FoD) broadband ISP product and the introduction of a new FoD “near network commercial trial“, which looks as if it could make it significantly cheaper for some areas to order the full fibre product.

Could be an interesting development for some.

[Moderator: Edited the URL.]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 04:45:42 PM by burakkucat »

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach Trial New FTTP on Demand Pricing and Coverage
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 10:08:23 PM »

An interesting development, hopefully the trial will result in long term improvements to FTTPoD - for those who are potentially interested in it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 10:23:52 PM »

It seems to squarely be focused on areas where they decided it wasn't worth doing every single house and from the current information looks to save you £1000 at best.  I guess its something, but that's a tiny portion of the FTTPoD cost.  I can't see it changing anyones mind about ordering.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 11:04:57 AM »

How are you calculating the £1,000 saving?

Nobody had seen an FTTPoD quote under £8k in over 2 years.
If you have a splitter nearby but no CBT then this could save you over £6,000.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

toonshorty

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 04:45:34 PM »

In my case there is a school and community centre both within 150-200m of my house. These have been connected to the Openreach FTTP network via the LFFN scheme. It would likely be a new splitter install but £2,650 is a lot more palatable then £8k+.

That said, there is currently a scheme with a local altnet which I'm hoping will progress and ultimately provide a service in the near future.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 05:33:25 PM »

In my case there is a school and community centre both within 150-200m of my house. These have been connected to the Openreach FTTP network via the LFFN scheme. It would likely be a new splitter install but £2,650 is a lot more palatable then £8k+.

You don't necessarily qualify given that criteria.
It actually doesn't matter how close fibre is.

Distance from either the planned NGA aggregation node or an existing FTTP splitter to the target FOD end customer premises is 500m or less

You need to be within 500m of the Aggregation Node or an existing splitter.

An LFFN scheme for schools and other public buildings is unlikely to use a PON deployment which would mean no splitters.

The full OpenReach briefing is available here: https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/updates/briefings/ultrafast/nga202421
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

toonshorty

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »

You don't necessarily qualify given that criteria.
It actually doesn't matter how close fibre is.

You need to be within 500m of the Aggregation Node or an existing splitter.

An LFFN scheme for schools and other public buildings is unlikely to use a PON deployment which would mean no splitters.

The full OpenReach briefing is available here: https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/updates/briefings/ultrafast/nga202421

The LFFN scheme certainly used standard PON deployments here as far as I can tell.

Several houses near the community centre started showing as having Openreach FTTP available. Both also appear on the Openreach checker as having FTTP available. I don't believe the Openreach checker shows anything other than the usual GPON FTTP deployments.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »

How are you calculating the £1,000 saving?

Nobody had seen an FTTPoD quote under £8k in over 2 years.
If you have a splitter nearby but no CBT then this could save you over £6,000.

I completely misread it and somehow missed those are the INSTALL charges and instead thought it was how much saving there was on top of the normal install. :/

Having a fixed-charge is indeed a big deal.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything