Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Wi-Fi into the garden  (Read 7009 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Wi-Fi into the garden
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2021, 06:24:07 PM »

What kind of glass? - in the house, not sure, old fashioned (ie rubbish) double glazing; summerhouse is actually perspex not glass my wife reminds me, but it’s easy to make the summerhouse end outside.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »

What kind of glass? - in the house, not sure, old fashioned (ie rubbish) double glazing; summerhouse is actually perspex not glass my wife reminds me, but it’s easy to make the summerhouse end outside.

Should work fine then, there's a few reports of it working indoors behind glass, plastic.
I was worried they were tinted windows.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2021, 06:28:41 PM »

Definitely not tinted windows.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2021, 07:08:00 PM »

I've read reports of 5Km using the 5ghz dishes

Problem is ALL the outdoor bands of 5Ghz require DFS so there can be disruption.

Its a little confusing actually as my Ubiquiti LiteBeam lets me use channels 36-48 which are supposedly indoor-only.  I avoid them anyway as they are the most commonly used channels (older 5Ghz WiFi equipment didn't support DFS) so more likely to be congested.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2021, 08:29:05 AM »

I love the Wireless Wire kit, but cannot mount an external antenna easily: gale force winds every few months rip such things off
I'd be surprised if you couldn't mount something that small, around 8" high and 3" wide.  With proper fixing it would take hundreds of miles per hour winds to shift, by which time gutters, downpipes, ridge tiles and chimney pots would all be long gone.  What's the structure of the house at that point, what would you be fixing into?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2021, 11:02:43 AM »

Definitely not tinted windows.

currently watching this Wireless Wire video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4lZJrX5p10

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2021, 04:46:26 AM »

Would be fixing into either four-foot thick stone or poured concrete, mind-boggglingly hard. Which it is depends on the precise spot chosen. Had 132 mph gales in 2005 in the Western Isles, 120+ mph at the Skye Bridge, but that’s on the sheltered side of the island and at low level. I’m on the Atlantic-facing side and 400 ft up, so about the most exposed site there is, so would definitely get worse winds that the western isles report which would be from a spot down at sea level. The most exposed spot in Skye, for my money, is Cille Mhoire up at the north western end of the Trondairnis peninsula (Anglicised pronunciation spelling "Trotternish").

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2021, 08:35:00 AM »

Fixings into stone would be better.  Not really a problem drilling even into granite with a proper masonry drill. How are your gutters fixed?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2021, 01:30:27 PM »

I saw a video a while back myself on people using the wireless wire through windows and apparently it worked well for them.  Not sure if one of them didn't mount outdoors which seems risky as they aren't waterproof.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]