Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: How do I get FTTP in the next 5-10 years?  (Read 8716 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: How do I get FTTP in the next 5-10 years?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 04:24:03 PM »

My original question was about FTTP only, and I was interested in the politics of R100 and whether or not it is serious now things may have moved on a little.

My only statement will be .... yes, it has become a very serious workstream of ours.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 05:24:31 PM »

.... yes, it has become a very serious workstream of ours.  :)

It's no great secret to say that B*Sheep is having trouble in training the new, local to Skye, recruits in creating ducts, in the underlying limestone, that run in sensible directions. The wee beasties, the haggis, can chew through anything but for those who think that herding of cats is difficult just wait until you try to get a haggis to cooperate!  :D  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 05:37:23 PM »

My original question was about FTTP only, and I was interested in the politics of R100 and whether or not it is serious now things may have moved on a little.

4G (true) modems are very interesting, as is Starlink but both of those deserve threads of their own.

Extremely unlikely. The costs are huge. Unless R100 has you covered no chance. Have a look at the Openreach price list for construction and think about getting to your nearest property from you.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 06:28:18 PM »

It's no great secret to say that B*Sheep is having trouble in training the new, local to Skye, recruits in creating ducts, in the underlying limestone, that run in sensible directions.

Limestone on Skye?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 06:43:45 PM »

It's no great secret to say that B*Sheep is having trouble in training the new, local to Skye, recruits in creating ducts, in the underlying limestone, that run in sensible directions. The wee beasties, the haggis, can chew through anything but for those who think that herding of cats is difficult just wait until you try to get a haggis to cooperate!  :D  :angel:

Ha ha - I've given up with those feral haggis beggars, far easier to get the neeps and tatties to conform !!  ;D

On a serious note, as I say ... the R100 programme has joined our other programmes front and centre. We had an all-hands call just the other week explaining as much, underpinned with the emphasis on just exactly how challenging these places will be !!

Whether or not Weaver's own locality ends up within the programme, I wouldn't know ?? But I can say, it certainly isn't a lip-service, will never happen 'thang'.   :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 07:45:53 PM »

Limestone on Skye?

Yes. Or so I was told when discussing the hardness of the water from the bore-hole.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »

The OR reply suggests that we all get together and shell out a fortune as a group for something that others, say in Harrapul or in Breacais, don’t have to pay extra for. Community Fibre.

There are a lot of houses in Heasta now, I forget how many. But 10G or more divided by n should be useful if it happens.

I’m not after enormous amounts of downstream speed just for the hell of it. I want my choice of ISP and all the rich services that come with that, I want fabulous reliability, which I have now already. Right now, line #2 is a very sick puppy so has been turned off all week, but everything else sails along and no one notices. I can still do Zoom calls with only two lines up.

If I had the money, I would get FTTPoD or even a leased line and share it with my neighbours, but I would need a lot of muscle power to run fibre down through the village. (About 1 km, very roughly, down to the shore from my house, which is the highest, northernmost dwelling.) But then that would surely be wasting my money given that at some future date, if I had only been patient for another x years, then I would have presumably got fibre for free when PSTN was retired altogether?

It would be madness to run fibre just for myself and not share it, surely?

Doesn’t help me, but I note with interest that the ISP Bogons has run fibre for locals in the Highlands, in Perthshire, around Both Chuidir, (extremely unhelpfully) anglicised as "Balqu(h)idder". Like B4RN. But Bogons-type things go against my freedom of choice of ISP thing. I wonder how they hook it up to BT. Perhaps they don't. They perhaps have a leased line, point to point, and go into an Internet Exchange. I can’t remember.

I don’t understand the earlier comment about ‘one line going via an FTTC cabinet’. FTTC is 3.5 miles away roughly. My line #2 iirc was installed via a green cab, a cab belonging to a pair, but of course it won’t be the FTTC one in that pair it will be the PCP one (only), no? That was at that time the fourth and latest line, chronologically. (A & A designation: cwcc@a.2.)

It’s good that Black Sheep says that R100 is something real, to some extent. If they don’t do the ‘hard to reach’ houses/villages, then they’ll end up missing out a huge chunk of the target folk.

One of my neighbours came around for a céilidh tonight and we had a serious blether. I’m told there are 27 or 28 (I forget which) houses in Heasta now. I would have guessed 20, shows what I know. There will surely, no?, come a point when we become a significant small community which is to be interconnected to other communities and it hopefully won’t be about the mindset of running long connections to individual single properties any more. For 450 Mbps downstream minimum, times 27 properties, that’s, what, ~12 Gbs, so a 10 Gbps link isn’t quite enough if they’re serious about the minimum downstream guarantee. Upstream is equally important for me.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:59:29 PM by Weaver »

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 12:12:14 AM »

The downstream guarantee isn't committed bandwidth it's based on statistical contention. I live in a new build estate where everyone is on FTTP, 2.4G split 32 ways, and never see any visible contention.

Until the next big thing application comes along a few Mbps per customer is fine, leaving loads of capacity on GPON for burst.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 10:38:16 AM »

I don’t understand the earlier comment about ‘one line going via an FTTC cabinet’. FTTC is 3.5 miles away roughly. My line #2 iirc was installed via a green cab, a cab belonging to a pair, but of course it won’t be the FTTC one in that pair it will be the PCP one (only), no? That was at that time the fourth and latest line, chronologically. (A & A designation: cwcc@a.2.)

FTTPoD (the bespoke, build fibre to my door for a lot of money product) is only available to properties that are connected to a fibre enabled PCP, even if that cabinet is too fast away to receive service.

1 of your 4 (*now 3) lines does exactly that.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 11:32:07 AM »

FTTC availability may in future no longer be a requirement to be able order FTTPoD see the item in the news section of the forum. Doesn't make it any cheaper though. :no:https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26479.0.html

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »

https://infralink.scottishfuturestrust.org.uk/

The consultation is open until 28th January 2022 and can be found on the Infralink website, along with the standardised leases and payment guidance. All of this could help to support both the commercial 5G rollout, and the new £1bn Shared Rural Network (SRN) industry project, which aims to boost geographic 4G mobile coverage of the UK to 95% by 2026

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/11/consultation-on-new-tools-to-help-telecoms-negotiations-in-scotland.html

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/06/gov-updates-on-uk-4g-shared-rural-network-rollout-progress.html

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2021, 02:02:02 PM »

The OR reply suggests that we all get together and shell out a fortune as a group for something that others, say in Harrapul or in Breacais, don’t have to pay extra for. Community Fibre.

As has been said, you don't need to do anything but wait. The R100 checker says that Heasta is in scope for faster speeds.

Lot 1 (North Scotland and the Highlands) will cover around 59,000 properties at a cost of £655m

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »

You want a faster connection but you're not prepared to compromise on ISP, yet it's very clear it's going to be a long time, if ever before you can get a faster connection via A&A. Meanwhile your wife and her guests suffer on an extremely slow connection. As mentioned before, there are potentially faster options, such as 4G and Starlink (if that covers your location), sometimes you have to compromise.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2021, 07:17:01 PM »

That's a fair shout from Ronski to be honest .... a bit like broadstairs with his issue, that could also be resolved quite easily .... sometimes you just have to compromise, otherwise it comes over as just putting barriers up for the sake of it.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2021, 08:10:37 PM »

4G (true) modems are very interesting, as is Starlink but both of those deserve threads of their own.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

anything