Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: How do I get FTTP in the next 5-10 years?  (Read 8717 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: How do I get FTTP in the next 5-10 years?
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2023, 05:28:16 PM »

I’m not talking about FTTPoD and can’t discuss anything yet, for various reasons, the main one being that it’s still way too early to have anything to discuss.

I mentioned before that someone on the east side of The Island, according to an OR engineer, shelled out ~£20K for FTTPoD when he/she was about 100m from the main core link that goes from The Skye Bridge to Broadford and then continues northwards into the mountains to connect to the entire north of the Island, and then on to the Western Isles according to the BT submarine cable installation maps that came out a few years ago. So the run to this installation might be very short but there would not be any conveniently sited appropriate hardware there. What did we guess for FTTPoD to be run out to me, some years back in another thread ? log10 (FTTPoD/£) = ~ 6 ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2023, 08:35:11 PM »

I mentioned before that someone on the east side of The Island, according to an OR engineer, shelled out ~£20K for FTTPoD when he/she was about 100m from the main core link that goes from The Skye Bridge to Broadford and then continues northwards into the mountains to connect to the entire north of the Island, and then on to the Western Isles according to the BT submarine cable installation maps that came out a few years ago. So the run to this installation might be very short but there would not be any conveniently sited appropriate hardware there.

It would be the distance to the nearest aggregation node that determined the price and not the distance to a passing fibre link.  :)

What did we guess for FTTPoD to be run out to me, some years back in another thread ? log10 (FTTPoD/£) = ~ 6 ?

Yes, I believe that is the correct order of magnitude. First find your nearest fibre aggregation node, then cost the provision of a (haggis proof) fibre run from it to Torr Gorm.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2023, 09:04:28 PM »

You used to be able to get a desktop survey with an indicative price, without commitment. Then I think it would be a non-refundable deposit to get a fixed price.  I kind of lost interest because at home, or my colleagues' homes, or our business premises, all got rejected at the desktop survey stage.

Cerberus gave me a desktop quote of £5K

I suppose I could try that for free and see if it gets rejected, if OR's website is accurate it should get rejected on the basis they are rolling out in 12 months..
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2023, 09:48:19 PM »

Cerberus gave me a desktop quote of £5K

I suppose I could try that for free and see if it gets rejected, if OR's website is accurate it should get rejected on the basis they are rolling out in 12 months..

Risky though, if they don't reject it you'd be paying more to get it done in likely exactly the same time frame.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2023, 07:55:16 AM »

Risky though, if they don't reject it you'd be paying more to get it done in likely exactly the same time frame.

And therein lies the problem :)
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2023, 09:39:43 PM »

Hi Dwight, that system is used by many of my neighbours now. Not remotely for me, not for business users, and zero maintenance my wife has lead me to believe.

I have recently started seeing what I can do to get FTTP right here. Far too early for any estimates of the chance of success.

Wow! Not Business! That does surprise me, would of thought there was a lot of self-employed up your way trying to make ends meet! Also that's how they started on the fish farms. Also how far off is the airport, does it have any formal fiber infrastructure you could buy into?
Best of luck, as I Google your Post code and it looks idyllic up there and definitely see your problem!
Dwight.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2023, 07:19:40 AM »

There’s no proper airport on Skye just now. There’s an excellent airstrip, but they haven’t developed all the rest of the facilities. The nearest airports are either in the Western Isles, Na h-Eileanan Siar, or Inverness airport which is about 85 miles away (around 2.5 hrs driving time one way) on the east coast of the mainland. I really wish they would get on with it and get the airport going again, as flights to the Western Isles, to Glasgow and Edinburgh and Heathrow and all the English airports etc would be fantastic. How I would love to be able to fly to Orkney, as the drive up to the North coast is very tiring even though the Orkney ferries are superb.

The ‘business’ part I was referring to is that small businesses in the area are in general all obsessed with saving money regardless of quality and reliability so they use the worst domestic-grade services and kit. I don’t know if that wireless service even offers IPv6, or blocks of routable static IPv4 addresses as we need them. And no business-grade maintenance contract, so I would think, but I don’t know, just guesswork. There is no chance on earth of me using such a service instead of A&A who provides all the aforementioned features, a rich and full service.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2023, 08:44:29 AM »

How long would the drive have been in the 1980s? I remember when I went to Scotland as a child before they built those bridges for the A9.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2023, 08:53:57 AM »

I drove it in the late 1980s and apart from no Skye Bridge it was all the same if you go straight across to Loch Ness and then up. Going by the North Road up through Srath Carrann was the same. The A9 is of course much further east, and doesn’t go up the Great Glen.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 08:56:03 AM by Weaver »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2023, 09:38:14 AM »

Well our first trip I remember we had to drive all the way around a big Loch I think was at least an hour road time, but when we back about 5 years later, was a new bridge built across it.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2023, 09:39:49 AM »

Why not drop the boss of Openreach an email politely asking if his team have any idea what the score is, copying in whomever is running R100 in the 'To' field so it's aimed at both?
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2023, 01:59:57 PM »

@XGS That’s pretty similar to what we’ve already started. Way too early to have anything to report though.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2023, 05:29:45 PM »

You folks will be an interesting test of where these projects are going. Your property is a nightmare, but a nightmare that can be forgotten about once the build is done: it'll save so much in maintenance costs which is a major driver behind the migration to FTTP: Verizon in the USA have been quite open about how much in operational costs FTTP is saving them.

From nearly 8 years ago: https://www.theregister.com/2015/05/20/verizon_fibre_is_so_much_cheaper_than_copper_were_going_allfttp/ and deployment costs have dropped since as GPON has gotten cheaper - XGSPON is a similar cost to where GPON was in 2015 I imagine.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

anything