Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: How do I get FTTP in the next 5-10 years?  (Read 8715 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
How do I get FTTP in the next 5-10 years?
« on: October 31, 2021, 10:56:19 PM »

We’ve discussed this before and we’ve talked a bit about R100. Is there anything I can do to get gigabit-capable FTTP installed here? Somewhat to the north of IV49 9BN, which is No. 6, quite a way south, whereas I am at Torr Gorm, the first, northernmost house in Heasta. I’ll have to wait at least five years for FTTP and then probably nothing will happen at the end of that; we’ll all just still be left out.

Any suggestions about politics, pressure, money I could throw at it, but don’t have ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: How do I get FTTP in the next 5-10 years?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »

The R100 checker shows this for properties in your postcode.

A new superfast connection is being built in your area. It's part of the Scottish Government’s broadband improvement scheme.

Your connection will be delivered after the end of 2021. Based on the current engineering schedule your address is in scope to receive its superfast connection in 2025.

The new connection will mean your address can get faster internet speeds. That’ll make it easier to videocall loved ones, watch shows online, work from home, and more – without any hiccups.

What about between now and then?

You may be able to get a one-off £400 voucher from the Scottish Government. You will have to engage a provider to apply for this funding on your behalf by 31 December 2021.

This voucher can be used for the cost of fitting a faster commercial broadband supply in the meantime. Think of this as a temporary way to speed things up until the permanent connection is up and running.
Options might include things like satellite broadband, 4G, fixed wireless and more.

OpenReach show your area is in plans to receive an Ultrafast full fibre connection.

You have zero hope of an Alt-Net deploying to you. Putting pressure on anyone is unlikely to make any difference at all. With such a remote location your only hope is a publicly subsidised OpenReach connection.

FTTPoD is an option as 1 of your lines shows connected to an FTTC cabinet.
That would be 5 or 6 figures to install (or even 7 figures for the highest quotes).
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 08:08:31 AM »

Perhaps you could use the £400 voucher to buy a decent 4G modem or maybe subsidise a satellite connection?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 09:08:17 AM »

Latest comments from government say that 0.3% of premises are considered 'very hard to reach' and work is ongoing to find solutions.

When you're talking the kind of money it would take I don't think political pressure will get there. Even a leased line would have huge excess construction costs.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 10:10:36 AM »

A 4g connection would still be a noteworthy upgrade for you Weaver. 

Maybe also keep the ADSL as a backup, and do some fancy routing so all multimedia goes over the 4g, and simple content like this site goes over the ADSL.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »

Would Starlink be a viable option when/if its available? The satellites don't appear to go over the north of Scotland yet but I don't know if that means you can't get it?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 07:27:44 PM »

Wouldn't Starlink be WORSE than 4G though?  It only really makes sense if you don't have mobile coverage.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 09:21:48 PM »

From what I can see, Weaver only has one mobile network available and that is unlikely to give 4G indoors.

Starlink will allow a pre-order and says for his location
Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in 2022. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 09:48:47 PM »

From what I can see, Weaver only has one mobile network available and that is unlikely to give 4G indoors.

Starlink will allow a pre-order and says for his location

You don't get Starlink "indoors" either. ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »

The comment about 4G indoors was more an indication of the likely speed (if you can get it indoors, an external antenna should give excellent speeds). As it's not good indoors, even with an external antenna, speed may not be that great.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 09:58:58 AM »

You don't get Starlink "indoors" either. ;)
No difference to FTTC - it needs wire to get it from the cabinet to inside my house!  :P

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 11:28:06 AM »

Ofcom's checker (https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/en-gb/mobile-coverage) suggests outdoor 4G coverage with EE and Three, but I don't know how accurate it is as Three's own checker says only 3G coverage.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 11:59:30 AM »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 01:49:19 PM »

My original question was about FTTP only, and I was interested in the politics of R100 and whether or not it is serious now things may have moved on a little.

4G (true) modems are very interesting, as is Starlink but both of those deserve threads of their own.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 02:04:33 PM »

It's hard to see any way in which you will get FTTP in the next few years (unless you shell out £k's) which is why many of us think you'd be far better off looking at the alternatives.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

anything