Broadband Related > Voice over IP (VoIP)

VoIP (and "Broadstairs" in Broadstairs)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ronski:

--- Quote from: broadstairs on October 26, 2021, 04:29:57 PM ---Any VOIP service could do that but as soon as they do that it terminates my fttc connection!

Stuart

--- End quote ---

Not sure what your 4G reception is like, but you could pick up a cheap 4G modem, get a monthly SIM and use that in the interim period after transferring your landline number to VOIP. Then take out a new FTTP contract with TT and you now have your original phone number seperated from TT.

Once FTTP is up and running sell the 4G modem and cancel the 4G SIM.

My daughter and her house mates did this recently when they found the broadband suddenly cut off (account was in a previous tenants name) and couldn't get a new connection for some weeks.

--- Quote from: broadstairs on October 26, 2021, 04:46:51 PM ---The person I spoke with flatly refused to do this.

Stuart

--- End quote ---

Its called playing the system, you're not meant to tell them  ;)

Black Sheep:

--- Quote from: Ronski on October 26, 2021, 07:21:08 PM ---

Its called playing the system, you're not meant to tell them  ;)

--- End quote ---

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex Atkin UK:
Similar to how I have BT Basic but then got a second line from Plusnet, not "technically" something you're supposed to do as BT Basic is meant for people who can barely afford a landline.

I still remember also how I transferred the landline into MY name.  Very naughty of them as while I live at the same address, it was in my mums name and they never checked I had her permission.

broadstairs:
I am finding it incredibly frustrating that this is all so difficult to do. Why make it so hard to keep a phone number for a landline. I know many like mobiles but some of use want to be able to keep a home phone and there must be probably between 30 and 60 places I need to inform if we lose our current number and I just don't see why I should have to lose it.  TT are far behind the curve with their technology, no IPV6 or VOIP, and they just don't seem to care. Having a second fibre connection technically is no problem at all but they simply don't want to do it. Also I don't really trust them to install a fibre connection along side my fttc one without losing my phone number, they do not have a good reputation for not making c**k ups.

Stuart

j0hn:

--- Quote ---I am finding it incredibly frustrating that this is all so difficult to do.
--- End quote ---

It isn't difficult.
The issue is simply your provider of choice doesn't sell the product you want.
You need to pick another provider or split the landline number and broadband.

Pick your VOIP provider and migrate the number to them. This needs to be your 1st step if you want to retain the landline number.
As you know it ceases your broadband.

Take Ronskis advice and run a 4G SIM for a month to keep you going while your FTTC is ceased
Order FTTP. Job done.

--- Quote ---She did suggest that I re-contract with TT and in a couple of months or so they will be announcing FTTP with VOIP and I could move to that without any fee to leave my new contract, just upgrade.
--- End quote ---

I'll be amazed if Talktalk residential launch a VOIP offering in the next few months.
They released another new Hub for FTTP customers fairly recently, the Amazon Eero 6 and Eero 6 Pro.
It does not have VOIP ports. They still have not launched a Hub with a VOIP port or to even trial such a service.

The last guy told you they were launching VOIP in August.

--- Quote from: broadstairs on June 24, 2021, 11:16:20 AM ---One thing the guy on their FTTP phone line did say when I said I needed a phone service as well as FTTP was that this might be available from TT by around August this year, now I don't know if there is any truth in this or whether this was just a sales pitch but just perhaps there is a grain of truth in it albeit VOIP rather that anything which would work in a power cut!

--- End quote ---

I don't understand why sales staff speculate on that kind of thing.
Large corporations like BT and Talktalk simply don't involve Margaret from sales in discussions on what products they will or won't sell in the future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version