Broadband Related > Voice over IP (VoIP)

VoIP (and "Broadstairs" in Broadstairs)

<< < (5/5)

Weaver:
Could your dad use textual messaging services, such as email, SMS, Apple iMessage,  FB Messenger, WhatsApp even, if desperate?  ;)

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: Weaver on October 29, 2021, 09:34:55 AM ---> what’s to keep VoIP functional under contention?

QoS and priority marking, either at L2 or L3 or both, no? I’m pretty sure BT do this, read something somewhere in a BT document, very vague unreliable memory.

AA’s internal network can prioritise customers’ traffic who have paid an extra £10 pm for ‘premium/priority’. So they for example have the technical capability to do QoS or a similar function.

--- End quote ---

Does that not go against net neutrality though?  Though I do think VoIP and gaming traffic SHOULD get priority over downloads, its a slippery slope as we see in the US where ISPs don't bother to upgrade their backhaul, instead throttling peoples usage.

I originally left Plusnet when they started throttling Usenet traffic, they were supposed to do it after x amount of data but the profile got stuck and throttling me 24/7.  Fortunately the UK has moved against from that sort of thing particularly as Openreach improved how the backhaul works.

Weaver:
@Alex I’m not sure I understand your question about net neutrality. This part of the network is strictly AA-internal, and all users have chosen AA as their ISP. They have the choice to get premium/priority or not, which is fantastic - I love having that option. This isn’t about particular non-AA services getting prioritised in a way that users can’t control, as rumour has it in the USA.

Net neutrality AFAIK doesn’t apply to prioritisation for the technical needs of the admins of the networks or for the needs of real-time traffic. I believe the rules actually acknowledge this, no?

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: Weaver on October 29, 2021, 04:42:50 PM ---Net neutrality AFAIK doesn’t apply to prioritisation for the technical needs of the admins of the networks or for the needs of real-time traffic. I believe the rules actually acknowledge this, no?

--- End quote ---

Its always seemed fuzzy about that and as were technically no longer restricted by the EU, this government could probably be persuaded to throw it all in the trash anyway. :(

I've never seen any sort of official guidelines regarding how net neutrality was supposed to be enforced by ISPs.

I mean it could be argued that Zoom calls are essential real-timne communications, yet so many people have problems with them its obviously not getting prioritised.  Although I guess half the problem there is if you are the sender its your router that would need to do that, the ISP can only control the other direction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version