Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Truecall ringing problem on wired extension  (Read 3108 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Truecall ringing problem on wired extension
« on: October 29, 2021, 12:52:40 PM »

Calling any Truecall experts.

I have a strange issue with a friend’s Truecall setup and am stumped as to what’s going on. Originally my friend had a DECT base station connected to the Truecall and that worked fine. However, they are now having problems with their eyesight and switched to corded big button phones. These are connected on standard extension cabling to the Truecall.

The problem is with one of the extensions only. When a call comes in, if it is "starred" ie the caller has previously been vetted and approved to be put straight through, all of the three phones ring. However, if it is an unknown caller and they have spoken their name, one phone on a particular extension does not ring when the Truecall rings to announce the caller, but the other two do. Calls can be made from this extension and it works normally when the Truecall is bypassed.

My first thought was it’s a problem with that particular extension, but why does it function normally under certain circumstances. I’ve also disconnected all of the other phones and swapped them round, but the issue stays with this extension. The phones are all Ren 1.

Can anyone thing of a reason for this behaviour. Thanks.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Truecall ringing problem on wired extension
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 05:28:39 PM »

I know nothing about "Truecall".

I’ve also disconnected all of the other phones and swapped them round, but the issue stays with this extension. The phones are all Ren 1.

Just to clarify . . . The problem only occurs at one particular extension socket?  :-\

Puzzling.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 05:44:36 PM »

That’s correct. I’m suspicious of the wiring, but can’t investigate as it’s hidden under carpeting. There is only a single BT connector at the master socket which somehow serves all three extensions. I’m wondering if the ringing current is less when the Truecall initiates the announcement call while the incoming call is held, whereas a vetted caller’s call is switched directly to the extensions and this particular extension has a higher resistance for some reason, but I could well be talking through my proverbial ****!
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 05:46:45 PM »

Its the only explanation I could think of too though.

Does that extension have a ring capacitor and if not I wonder if that might help?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 05:49:48 PM »

That’s correct. I’m suspicious of the wiring, but can’t investigate as it’s hidden under carpeting.

Thank you. I share your suspicion of the wiring and of the connections . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 05:53:26 PM »

Does that extension have a ring capacitor and if not I wonder if that might help?
It doesn’t, it’s just a flying connector, like those short extension cables. I did connect an ADSL filter to it with the same results.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 07:03:12 PM »

Perhaps something is out of spec and doesn’t handle the sum of the REN numbers ? This is why I used to use a DECT basestation.

Can we get big button DECT phones ? Or DECT-to-analog-pots converters/adapters so you can plug any old phone into a DECT device?

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 09:13:40 PM »

Can we get big button DECT phones ? Or DECT-to-analog-pots converters/adapters so you can plug any old phone into a DECT device?
There are a few DECT phones which claim to be big buttoned, but due to the restrictive handset size are not as big as the corded phones. I came across one adapter which looked interesting, but at £88 is too expensive I fear.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 12:27:01 AM »

I never understood the lack of DECT adapters or DECT phones styled to look like traditional wired phones.  You'd think they would be popular.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 12:09:58 PM »

Puzzle solved! The answer was so blindingly obvious I can’t think why I didn’t twig before.  :doh:

Despite the appearance of the wiring, the offending extension is actually a proper extension wired directly to the master socket. So when the Caller ID info is received for an unverified caller the Truecall will seize the line and hold the incoming call while ringing the attached phones to announce the call which will never reach the third phone. Whereas for a known verified caller it will do nothing other than count the rings for its answering machine function and the exchange ringing signal will be passed straight through the Truecall to the attached phones. As it doesn’t actually answer the call the third phone rings too. Well that’s my theory anyway!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 02:54:47 AM »

DOH!