Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is it wrong? I thought DEFCON1 was when Weaver calls up AAISP!  (Read 1947 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Is it wrong? I thought DEFCON1 was when Weaver calls up AAISP!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 02:15:18 AM »

;D ;D

I talk to them every couple of months or so about problems since the lightning strike of early 2020. I had four lines, now three, so that means four times as many calls as the usual end user. And I often have questions about things I don’t understand. So they know me really well and are extra friendly given that we’ve been with them eleven years now. And I sent them some really good uisge beatha. They know my wife Janet too, and her business, "Skye Shepherd Huts". I don’t ever gee them up, as I know they have to struggle with BTW + OR. I sometimes have FB2900 questions too.

So hopefully, it’s not DEFCON x when I contact them.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 03:45:26 AM »

I should have linked to his blog post too: https://www.revk.uk/2021/10/defcon.html

I get a DEFCON depending on who is in the house. DEFCON 1 for presence of the those who shall not be named (anti-vax).

Yeah, anti-vaxxers wouldn't get my WiFi password as they wont be coming anywhere near this house.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 01:36:24 PM »

:D

;D ;D

I talk to them every couple of months or so about problems since the lightning strike of early 2020. I had four lines, now three, so that means four times as many calls as the usual end user. And I often have questions about things I don’t understand. So they know me really well and are extra friendly given that we’ve been with them eleven years now. And I sent them some really good uisge beatha. They know my wife Janet too, and her business, "Skye Shepherd Huts". I don’t ever gee them up, as I know they have to struggle with BTW + OR. I sometimes have FB2900 questions too.

So hopefully, it’s not DEFCON x when I contact them.

Yeah the staff at AAISP have always been helpful when I've contacted them. I needed some assistance with my FB2900 a while back and one of them on IRC spent a while sorting something out that I was trying to do but couldn't figure out how to do.

I should have linked to his blog post too: https://www.revk.uk/2021/10/defcon.html

Yeah, anti-vaxxers wouldn't get my WiFi password as they wont be coming anywhere near this house.

That feels like a somewhat hostile name to use ::). However, the same argument can also be said about those who don't have flu jab though. At the end of a day it's a choice and everyone has their own reasons for choosing to have any of these jabs or not to. I don't have the flu jab but that doesn't necessarily make me an 'anti-vaxxer' :D.

The usage of such a word, 'anti-vaxxer', probably doesn't belong here though. I see it used a lot on social media and it tends to create and has created quite a divide.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »

Give oo'er - pro-vaxxer, anti-vaxxer - it does what is says on the tin.  ;) :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 06:29:27 PM »

The usage of such a word, 'anti-vaxxer', probably doesn't belong here though. I see it used a lot on social media and it tends to create and has created quite a divide.

Fair point, I wouldn't normally have brought it up but its what he posted.  My personal opinion of anti-vaxxers notwithstanding, its my own and specifically my mums safety that is of prime importance in my own house.  Its actually anti-maskers that bother me more, as they made me feel unsafe to leave the house and their reasoning is based purely on none-scientific rumours, whereas at least there ARE genuine risks with the vaccine.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 06:45:08 PM »

That is the action that concerns you though, Alex .... not the terminology.

Anti-vaxxers are just that, opposed to the jab .... couldn't give a stuff if they wish to partake in the programme or not, but I'm not having it that the wording itself causes divide.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 09:15:24 PM »

Indeed, its just shorthand so you can type it quicker, but I don't want to start an argument on this forum.  Its probably the most civil forum on the Internet.

anything