Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Openreach FTTP Technical Questions  (Read 3060 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Openreach FTTP Technical Questions
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2021, 02:45:17 AM »

What frustrated me is I just spent hours downloading an update for Microsoft Flight Simulator as it wouldn't go over 200Mbit.  I've seen Steam do 700Mbit also on Three 5G.  Usenet tends to do 500Mbit but I've seen reports of it going well over Gigabit with the right providers (I know one of my accounts has a 300Mbit cap).

I honestly never expected 5G to reach the speeds it has, I'm guessing the tower is usually not very stressed as people aren't aware its available or are just using it to watch YouTube on their phones.

The benefit of Gigabit in a multi-person household though is mostly down to the fact it IS hard to max out.  Ideally you'd always want your connection to be faster than you can use, so nobody ever noticed service problems, especially if anyone is gaming.

Interestingly my VPS is supposed to be provisioned on Gigabit but I'm lucky if it can do half that over Three 5G.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 04:28:29 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2021, 01:54:01 PM »

What frustrated me is I just spent hours downloading an update for Microsoft Flight Simulator as it wouldn't go over 200Mbit.  I've seen Steam do 700Mbit also on Three 5G.  Usenet tends to do 500Mbit but I've seen reports of it going well over Gigabit with the right providers (I know one of my accounts has a 300Mbit cap).

Ouch. At some point I need to check out that game. From what I've seen it looks highly impressive and realistic. Yeah with Usenet it will depend a bit on which provider(s) you use as well as the plan that you have with them. I think I use three different providers myself, ensuring they don't share the same backbone or w/e. One is unlimited access subscription while the others are purely failovers so they have prepaid data usage.

The benefit of Gigabit in a multi-person household though is mostly down to the fact it IS hard to max out.  Ideally you'd always want your connection to be faster than you can use, so nobody ever noticed service problems, especially if anyone is gaming.

Yeah definitely. That said, I still have some fairly basic QoS rules to ensure something or someone can't abuse the heck out of the connection to the point it disrupts everything or everyone else here. Prioritisation is mostly based on packet size, ACK's or DNS queries. Works well for me.

Interestingly my VPS is supposed to be provisioned on Gigabit but I'm lucky if it can do half that over Three 5G.

I take it that it's able to do gigabit generally at some other places? If so then I guess there's some similarity here with my connection and my dedicated server on OVH.

It struggles to do about 500 megabits generally from the dedicated server to my connection - can be lower than that at peak time. However, if I make it take a different route such as making a VPN connection when I recently tried out Voxility (using their internet access as 'premium' level on my server with them) then I generally get full gigabit from the dedicated server to my connection no matter what time of day from what I can see.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2021, 10:06:26 PM »

Are FTTP prices expected to drop further?

I saw these: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1499231/BT-broadband-breakthrough-cheaper-prices-for-you

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/09/rivals-sigh-as-ofcom-clear-openreach-fttp-broadband-price-cut.html

Not sure if that was the "Save £240 - Regional Offer" on the 500 and 900Mb BT packages or this is something seperate.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2021, 10:21:11 PM »

It struggles to do about 500 megabits generally from the dedicated server to my connection - can be lower than that at peak time. However, if I make it take a different route such as making a VPN connection when I recently tried out Voxility (using their internet access as 'premium' level on my server with them) then I generally get full gigabit from the dedicated server to my connection no matter what time of day from what I can see.

Downloading a Thinkbroadband test file does 40-85MB/s, its extremely inconsistent.  That said, its on CentOS 7.9 with kernel 3.10 which does not support bbr congestion control.

I get the feeling they aren't offering quite the same service BHost were.  For one thing, my account was supposed to be unlimited bandwidth (which BHost listed as 2TB but presumably ignored overages, never hit it to see) but when Mythic Beasts took them over they took the 2TB literally it seems.

Considering a basic service from Mythic Beasts is WAY more expensive, I'm guessing they consider these legacy BHost accounts more of an annoyance.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 10:34:42 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2021, 11:33:31 PM »

[off-topic]
That said, its on CentOS 7.9 with kernel 3.10 which does not support bbr congestion control.

You could use the recently released kernel-ml-5.15.0-1.el7.elrepo package set which certainly does have bbr congestion control . . .  ;)
[/off-topic]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2021, 05:27:03 AM »

I think the problem is the kind of virtualisation they use the kernel has to match the hypervisor.

I'd move to something else but this is incredibly cheap for 2 Cores, 4GB RAM, 125GB storage, 2TB data for £8/month.  Their normal price for this would be £21.72/month.

Even a Raspberry Pi 3 server with only 1GB RAM and 100Mbit uplink is more expensive.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 05:38:44 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »

Are FTTP prices expected to drop further?

The OpenReach Equinox offer is a very small reduction in rental price for the provider. Don't expect it to have a big impact on consumer pricing unfortunately.

Not sure if that was the "Save £240 - Regional Offer" on the 500 and 900Mb BT packages or this is something seperate.

Nah that's been running since before the Equinox deal was signed off.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything