Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Openreach FTTP Technical Questions  (Read 3054 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Openreach FTTP Technical Questions
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2021, 03:00:26 PM »

I’ve been paying between £150-£200 pm for 7-11Mbps downstream, ~1 Mbps upstream. (Mind you, there were extras in that, such as traffic priority and things like email services, domain name hosting and registration x lots, that pushed it up a bit.)

If someone wants a guaranteed 900 Mbps d/s, then getting two FTTP links and binding them would be a lot cheaper than a leased line and you would get a guarded min 2 * 450 Mbps d/s. Mind you, you would also need to upgrade your whole lan, router, switch, ethernet cables to be able to cope with 2 * 900 Mbps, so 2.5 G ethernet would be a minimum, albeit not very future proof, and you would possibly be well advised to get all your LAN up to 10 Gbps ethernet plus an appropriate switch+router. Starts to become a serious up-front cost, and your hosts might not be able to cope with 2.5 Gbps or 10 Gbps, never mind the limitations of wi-fi.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2021, 03:09:00 PM »

£200 PCM on a broadband connection? Heavens above, I pay £20

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2021, 03:49:23 PM »

I'm paying about £150 per month for my FTTP connection (including /29 IPv4) with Cerberus at the moment. Yeah, I know they have reduced their pricing considerably (recently) but that means committing to a new 12 month contract which I don't have the option of really doing due to switching to a local altnet ISP soon. I wouldn't even be aware of the reduced pricing if I didn't check the website for myself.

I remember when I had bonded FTTC with AAISP, it was a little costly but at the same time it was a lot cheaper than paying for a leased line. That was some time before the initially revised FTTPoD pricing became available.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:54:16 PM by Ixel »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2021, 04:10:31 PM »

Okay £150 for FTTP that's presumably many 100s of megabits I get but for 11Mbps it seems insane

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2021, 04:16:16 PM »

@Gigabitethernet - that’s the downside of living in the middle of nowhere. >7 km copper lines * 3 bonded together. Need triple speed from the three bonded lines to make life bearable and am completely happy with the ultra reliable result. Backed by 3G auto failover if all three lines should go down simultaneously, the link never ever goes down. If one line fails, then the traffic is just diverted to the other lines. I did have four lines, but one died completely and couldn’t be fixed, so I ordered a new line instead, and to cut a long story short, I ended up with three lines not four, but at the moment the three do what I need.

I included the cost of line rental in that figure.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »

I would happily pay £150 for FTTP at this point.

Currently paying £55+£43 a month for 2 x line rentals and 2 x FTTC circuits giving me about 120Mbps, and they're slowing down as the years pass thanks to crosstalk. Luckily both of my lines has been pretty reliable - have had FTTC on one line since 2012 - and I think I've had to call Sky twice about an outage in all that time. Went to two lines at the end of 2018, and now there's two of us working from home I am pretty glad to have two.

The £900+ a month for a leased line is not for me - it's not for 99% of folks around here - if you were running your business from home and absolutely had to have backup of SLA's and such then it could make sense.

Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2021, 04:32:57 PM »

I’m not sure who even needs SLAs for such services now, since most of us have 4G or even 5G, which could tide your over in an outage and that’s the way to get reliability. Mind you, around here if there’s a lightning strike and a power outage, then the 4G basestation just goes down anyway, which is appalling. I wonder if it has no UPS/generator - could that even be possible? Or is it just freaked out and needs better protection ?

I have instant switchover to 3G; lots of routers have this feature.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 05:50:54 PM »

I’m not sure who even needs SLAs for such services now, since most of us have 4G or even 5G, which could tide your over in an outage and that’s the way to get reliability. Mind you, around here if there’s a lightning strike and a power outage, then the 4G basestation just goes down anyway, which is appalling. I wonder if it has no UPS/generator - could that even be possible? Or is it just freaked out and needs better protection ?

I have instant switchover to 3G; lots of routers have this feature.

If you're a business, I'd imagine mobile failover is better than nothing but would still hobble business to some degree, especially if you have remote access of some kind and wont necessarily have a static IP on the backup.  I'd wager your configuration is a lot more robust than 9/10 businesses.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2021, 06:05:10 PM »

Alex you couldn’t be more spot on. One of the charity’s I’m involved with is 100% dependent on connection for absolutely everything from finance to selling tickets. They have one FTtC connection and when challenged about redundancy said it was unnecessary expense ! And they aren’t the only ones I know of.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2021, 06:13:18 PM »

I would happily pay £150 for FTTP at this point.

I agree. If I didn't have the options I do now then I'd still go for it at that price, after all I'm still content with paying this price until I'm able to switch to the local option in the near future. :D

That said, there's a limit and £900+/mo for a leased line is just way too much both for my wallet and my interests and needs.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2021, 06:20:13 PM »

That said, there's a limit and £900+/mo for a leased line is just way too much . . .

The leased line cost is just that - the rental cost of the infrastructure. Then there will be the cost of the service that one requires to be added on . . .  :swoon:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2021, 11:40:10 PM »

I agree. If I didn't have the options I do now then I'd still go for it at that price, after all I'm still content with paying this price until I'm able to switch to the local option in the near future. :D

That said, there's a limit and £900+/mo for a leased line is just way too much both for my wallet and my interests and needs.

£900/mo for 100Mbps at that!
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2021, 04:21:33 AM »

I’d love to know what 1 Gbps and 10 Gbps cost.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2021, 10:41:09 AM »

With these high speed connections I'm wondering what is the highest transfer rate during normal Internet use?

What services allow you to transfer at a very high speed? I'm sure during normal web browsing and emailing we won't feel any effect.

But does Steam allow for a 1Gbps connection to max out or is it capped?

I can't imagine video on demand needs a 1Gbps connection.

I transfer files regularly so I can see how a specific business dealing in file transfers might have a very high speed cap. But I bet there isn't many other places.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2021, 11:05:55 AM »

What services allow you to transfer at a very high speed? I'm sure during normal web browsing and emailing we won't feel any effect.

Usenet or other P2P can. Off-site backup assuming the route the connection takes as well as the server is capable of handling such throughput. A 'maximum quality' 4K 'gamestream' (NVIDIA) might be around 100Mbps with rapidly changing content perhaps, assuming high frame rate too, but certainly won't max out a gigabit connection. Web browsing (not a large file transfer) and emailing won't really notice it.

But does Steam allow for a 1Gbps connection to max out or is it capped

I guess it depends how much load the content server you're connected to is under, as well as the route your connection takes and how congested that might be. There's also the disk drive capabilities to consider and perhaps even the CPU (for decompressing the downloaded content?). However, assuming you're writing to a decent NVMe drive with a fairly decent CPU then it's possible Steam could max it out, if none of your hardware and the network connection has any bottlenecks.

Doing a download of CSGO a moment ago, I saw Steam peak at about 85MB/sec (nearly 700 megabits) but I also have some QoS rules setup which manage throughput of 'large transfers' at a lower priority and capped to 720~ megabits. This is with the Steam library on an NVMe RAID-0 array and CPU being a mildly overclocked AMD Threadripper 3990X (64-core).

I can't imagine video on demand needs a 1Gbps connection.

Definitely not haha, unless perhaps you're the server? :D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 11:08:56 AM by Ixel »
Pages: 1 [2] 3