Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tank thieves  (Read 719 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Tank thieves
« on: October 30, 2021, 11:33:25 PM »

A friend of Janet’s, who lives much further south in Skye, has been robbed by thieves who stole his central heating oil while he was away. It is assumed that some local evildoer knows when houses are empty and Janet’s theory is that a gang of NEDs* came up from the south on a robbery tour and then vanished again with their booty. It has happened before, once in Trondairnis, (the easternmost of the three peninsulas at the north end of Skye, “Trì Corragan an Eilein Sgitheanaich” = “(the) three middle-fingers of the Isle of Skye”). So there is crime even in Skye.

Is there any way of frustrating thieves physically with some kind of lock on a tank? Or would they just get angry and find some other way of gaining access, while causing damage too? Perhaps better with cameras and bright PIR lights?

B_$tards, pushing up insurance costs or far worse for everyone who lives here, no? (Apologies to Kitz for unseemly language on the forum.) I’m hoping the police will install lots of cameras in an empty house, or even do a stakeout. When we lived in London, the police used our upstairs flat in Willesden Green for a stakeout. Unfortunately the reason was not revealed.

(*) Non-Educated-Delinquents iirc, in Lowland Scots, so Janet tells me.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Tank thieves
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 12:23:01 AM »

(*) Non-Educated-Delinquents iirc, in Lowland Scots, so Janet tells me.

I learnt of that usage, many years ago, from the television series Taggart.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 12:43:51 AM »

I assumed it wouldn’t be known to those south of the border. Janet is my informant on Scottish English/Scots. As far as English goes, my neighbours speak Highlands English, English English or Dutch, so I am not au fait with the language of the Lowlands. The first-language Gaelic speakers here have distinctive English and one of my neighbours is less comfortable in English than in Gaelic, as were a couple of my customers. Janet’s brother speaks Scots+Scottish English, from Perth, so he is Janet’s informant / source of wisdom.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »

Is there any way of frustrating thieves physically with some kind of lock on a tank? Or would they just get angry and find some other way of gaining access, while causing damage too? Perhaps better with cameras and bright PIR lights?

Nope, we had diesel tanks at work for the trucks years ago, place had relatively good lighting, and CCTV. One day the tanks were found to be empty, over 5000ltrs of road diesel gone!

Watching the CCTV a truck pulled up early hours of the morning on the side road, ladder across the fence to the tanks, they then cut off the breather pipes and sucked the tanks dry!

A few days later a suspicious truck was seen on the estate, near some other fuel bunkers, stupid PCO approached the occupants, and there was nothing that could be done even though they had IBC's and pumps on board, if the idiot had waited and caught them in the act they would have been banged to rights!

All you can do is make it as hard as possible, CCTV doesn't really deter them.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 10:28:11 PM »

CCTV doesn’t deter them perhaps, if they’re really stupid or don’t notice it, or it’s intentionally hidden, but a big light and siren might scare them. The point about cameras being to catch their faces if possible, and certainly to catch the number plate on their vehicle. Multiple cameras need to be placed such that they’re certain to catch the number.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 02:43:37 PM »

This activity has been known in my area, NW N.I., have every expectation that it will become much more common now with the substantial price increase of heating oil and the general reliance of oil fired domestic heating systems in this area, mains gas still being rolled out.

Yes, CCTV is a bit of a deterrant I suppose, might just make the "baddies" move on to an easier target, won't deter the professionals.
As an example, 2 years ago while on holiday, overnight, my motorhome was stolen from the drive of my sister-in law's house in Stockport, we obtained good CCTV footage of the theft from the house opposite, however, GM Police showed no interest and never attended at any time.
The vehicle was never recovered, insurance eventually paid out.

Appreciate that police response/service will vary in different areas but would advise keeping expectations low.
As already stated:
All you can do is make it as hard as possible
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

anything