Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Build Programme Currently Complete" but no FTTP options available  (Read 1002 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member

Hi, so my friend who just lives 5 minutes away from me can get FTTC but cannot order FTTP even though our area is "complete". I can order FTTP but he cannot. Just a quick question, is it normal for every house not to be served and if so what are the reasons OpenReach would skip some houses? Thanks

Checked using https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 05:14:30 PM by Geekofbroadband »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: "Build Programme Currently Complete" but no FTTP options available
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 05:13:45 PM »

Is it overhead cabling or underground?

Overhead you can look to see if it has the optical feed on their pole.  Its also possible if its a recent installation, not every feed will be commissioned yet.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 05:15:37 PM »

I have an overhead line and can see the optical boxes at the top, he has underground cabling.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 05:17:57 PM »

Its certainly possible there was a problem that meant they didn't cover them.  I'd contact the Openreach CEO Clive Selley and have them look into it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 06:13:38 PM »

Yes.
They never do every property. Literally never.

Apartments/flats (MDU's) are almost always skipped, initially at least.
Anywhere that needs a wayleave that hasn't been signed or that is over budget to install to is also likely to be skipped.

Eventually OpenReach may need to return to do some of these properties but until then they crack on with the rest to do/cheaper to deploy stuff.

Does the OpenReach fttp checker give any indication if they are part of a rollout?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 08:13:54 PM »

Hi, so my friend who just lives 5 minutes away from me can get FTTC but cannot order FTTP even though our area is "complete". I can order FTTP but he cannot. Just a quick question, is it normal for every house not to be served and if so what are the reasons OpenReach would skip some houses? Thanks

Checked using https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

Chances are from the limited info to hand, is his PON has been high-costed out of the current build programme ??

Based purely on your mention of underground cabling. How old would you say his locality is in terms of when the premises were built ?? If it's around the 60/70/80's, there's a chance the cables are 'Direct in Ground' (DiG) as opposed to running through ducts (hollow tubes). The civils costs on this kind of PON ramp up quite dramatically.

Another consideration when wondering why some premises appear to be 'left behind', is a Section 58 notice. This means (as an example), if we need to do dig down on a simple 1mtr square blockage on a footpath/carriageway, we then have to perform full width reinstatements for whatever distance the S58 stipulates. This requires Elon Musk's wallet to make a viable option, so most jobs of this nature are shelved until the S58 notice expires.

Lots of different circumstances occur in the FTTP programmes.   

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 02:20:37 PM »

His house is a newer build than mine (Not sure when it was built) but yea I guess it could be DiG. He recently moved to Virgin Media 1Gig so its not all bad news though  ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 03:23:44 PM »

Ah good - look forward to welcoming him back in 12 months time.  ;)