Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Virgin Media Business  (Read 5614 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Virgin Media Business
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2021, 12:43:10 AM »

Yes. That's how most networks assign IP's.

Well, networks that don't use PPP. ;)  Which I suppose brings up a point, GRE overhead surely is less than PPP so not terrible in principle?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 10:32:55 AM »

My understanding is that PPP is 8 bytes, whilst GRE adds 24 bytes (a 4 byte GRE header, plus a 20 byte IP header).

I'm not sure about L2TP, but I think it's more than that.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 03:43:00 PM »

Sorry, DHCP reservation on public IP addresses?

How about when customers move CMTS and hence go into a new DHCP scope?

When sites are collapsed together and one site goes onto another's scopes?

Don't you think it it were that easy VMO2 would do it? It's how they used to but as I said that caused issues.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »

Could VM not move their DHCP assignment further inside their network so a node split doesnt upset things?  Or is cable broadband not able to work like that?

The static IP setup seems a massive scuff job.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 10:08:51 PM »

It is further into the network. A centralised cluster. Still need to allocate scopes to access routers / CMTS though.

Cable is native IP. Have to have that first hop directly reachable so has to be per-device to give layer 3 continuity.

No comment on the solution VM are using.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2021, 12:31:51 PM »

Just remember that AA's L2TP is limited to 100Mb/s.

I just mentioned this on AAISP's irc channel and Andrew confirmed the limit is been raised soon. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2021, 12:40:20 PM »

<pedant>
PPP is 2 bytes. PPP+PPPoE is 2+6 = 8 bytes, which is why PPP+PPPoE modem users often have reduced IP MTU down to 1492 from 1500, unless they have PPP MTU of 1508 bytes in which case they get the full 1500 IP MTU.</pedant>

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2021, 01:28:05 PM »

I just mentioned this on AAISP's irc channel and Andrew confirmed the limit is been raised soon. :)

Thanks, I lurk in their IRC channel, but don't pay much attention.  I see he said "shortly" - so fingers crossed it's this side of Christmas....

As for my Virgin install, they still haven't completed the external "pre-install" work, so the installation has been pushed back to the 23rd November (from the 5th).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 01:33:09 PM by DaveC »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2021, 11:36:07 PM »

It is further into the network. A centralised cluster. Still need to allocate scopes to access routers / CMTS though.

Cable is native IP. Have to have that first hop directly reachable so has to be per-device to give layer 3 continuity.

No comment on the solution VM are using.

So does Cable have that nice benefit (that I had for a while on Digital Region) where if you play games with someone on the same cabinet its pretty much like being on the same LAN as the cabinet as you're routed straight from the cabinet to the other customer?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 03:06:44 PM »

No, that requires an IP-aware device in the cabinet. You'll have to go to the hubsite but can go straight from there to the neighbour, either directly or via switches and routers.

Either way your IP terminates locally and you're routed to neighbours directly, not via a BRAS somewhere.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2022, 07:18:37 PM »

Just as a follow-up on this - over three months since the order was made, we're still waiting for our install.  I had almost given up on it, but yesterday the weekly "we're chasing our contractor for an update on the civil works" update email changed to saying the works are due to be completed on the 3rd February.

And indeed, on checking the scheduled roadworks, there is Virgin Media work scheduled outside our office for the 2nd-4th February with the description "DL, CLEAR BLOCKED TEE IN FOOTWAY AND LIFTING CARRIAGEWAY PIT LID".

So who knows, maybe the install will complete this side of Easter.
Pages: 1 [2]