Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Smart plugs and Home Assistant (hass.io) - What to buy?  (Read 7170 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Smart plugs and Home Assistant (hass.io) - What to buy?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 09:07:10 PM »

An inductive load, such as a motor, will momentarily draw a high current at switch-on.

Yes, the general "rule of thumb" for industrial 3 phase induction motors is transient startup current approx. 6 times FLC as far as I remember, not sure if this ratio would directly transpose to a domestic single phase motor but certainly a factor to consider.

Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »

From what I would gather then it's definitely not suitable to run my portable air conditioner through one of these Tapo plugs :D.

The SwitchBot button presser gadget so far is working fine. The one thing that concerns me is what happens in the event their API goes down temporarily. I might need to consider making a small bash script or something to check the response from cURL to make sure the command to press the button was successful and if it was successful then toggle the 'input boolean sensor' state in Home Assistant (e.g. the supposed power status of the portable air conditioner for Home Assistant to go by - on or off).

I've so far done some logic for where the mains power might be off (e.g. power cut), don't try to press the button if so. Same also for if the internet connection appears to be down or the Hub is for some reason unavailable.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2021, 11:35:31 AM »

I have plug-in timers that are similarly rated at only 2A inductive load despite being 13A resistive and I believe this is quite usual for relay switched devices. The Shelly-1 device mentioned by @tiffy appears to be relay controlled too but does not mention an inductive load capacity in its spec. It does however mention 'resistive load' on its CE conformity document - https://shelly.cloud/documents/certificates/Shelly_1_CE.pdf
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2021, 12:26:10 PM »

The Shelly-1 device mentioned by @tiffy appears to be relay controlled too but does not mention an inductive load capacity in its spec. It does however mention 'resistive load' on its CE conformity document

I only use the Shelly-1 relay for lighting and small non inductive load applications for which they are ideal due to their very small size profile, can fit directly into some switch and ceiling light enclosures, even have a model available (Shelly-1L) which does not require an available neutral, normal situation at UK lighting switches.

As previously stated, would only ever contemplate using the Shelly-1 relay to control an inductive load such as a motor via a suitably rated external relay/contactor.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2021, 09:23:22 PM »

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Unless I encounter some trouble with the current setup then I'll keep things as they are. So far I've had no problems with it, the 'bot' presses the button when it's asked to. :fingers:
Pages: 1 [2]