Computers & Hardware > Other Technologies & Hardware

Smart plugs and Home Assistant (hass.io) - What to buy?

(1/4) > >>

Ixel:
I'm looking into getting a smart plug for my home lab but need something I can be sure works with the Home Assistant software (not to be confused with Google Home Assistant).

I looked into TP-Link but apparently they've recently made it so in future things like Home Assistant won't work with their smart plugs (changes in firmware in relation to security). I was wondering if anyone knows of any brands and models which are compatible and can be controlled by Home Assistant (e.g. power on or off). One use case I have in mind is to shutdown all equipment in the room if there's an extremely abnormal room temperature. Recently my portable air conditioning unit developed a fault which ended up making it produce heat instead of cool air, subsequently the room and upstairs (as the door was open) became quite warm after a while. While everything coped with ambient temperatures of around 30C or higher for a few hours, I'd rather have a failsafe system in place.

At the moment I've done something so that if the room temperature exceeds 27C then I will receive a push notification about it. If the room temperature continues to rise and subsequently exceeds 30C then the server will gracefully shutdown, as long as there's no issues with that process. However, all other equipment in the cabinet remains powered up.

I've looked at a PDU which can be controlled remotely, however they seem pricey - not to mention they generally seem to have kettle lead connectors while I'm looking for the usual 3-pin UK plug (BS 1363 if I'm not mistaken) connector.

Screenshot from Home Assistant of my temperature sensor, powered by Philips Hue motion sensor (they also report the temperature):

meritez:
I use Tapo P100s and L530s, home assistant seems to still work with them:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/custom-component-tapo-p100-plug-control/240734/243

Where did you read that tplink are changing the security?

Alex Atkin UK:
I love the "were making it more secure by FORCING you to hand us all your personal details an allow us to withdraw the service at any time" that a lot of companies are doing.

Weaver:
Are there devices that work on an isolated LAN, ie one with no internet connection? I wouldn’t allow a ‘phone-home’ device to be talking to some random server from my own network, due to extreme paranoia.

Ixel:

--- Quote from: meritez on October 24, 2021, 11:42:54 PM ---I use Tapo P100s and L530s, home assistant seems to still work with them:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/custom-component-tapo-p100-plug-control/240734/243

Where did you read that tplink are changing the security?

--- End quote ---

https://alerts.home-assistant.io/#tplink.markdown

Sadly TP-Link isn't an option unless I'm fairly certain the plugs I receive will have older firmware that allows access from Home Assistant.

--- Quote from: Weaver on October 25, 2021, 06:28:12 AM ---Are there devices that work on an isolated LAN, ie one with no internet connection? I wouldn’t allow a ‘phone-home’ device to be talking to some random server from my own network, due to extreme paranoia.

--- End quote ---

Good question, although alternatively it's probably possible to just add firewall rules to drop all internet access for the smart plug(s) if they aren't dependant on internet access to connect with their manufacturer's server(s).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version