Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VoIP Hardware  (Read 4827 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
VoIP Hardware
« on: October 24, 2021, 04:44:56 PM »

I thought it would be interesting to know what people here with VOIP use for their connection. What ATAs do folks use for their analog phones? Do you use a dedicated VOIP phone? What issues have people had which made life difficult with VOIP?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: VoIP Hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:49:42 PM »

I currently use a Fritzbox 7490 as a DECT base station which connects to my Firebrick 2900, which finally connects to either Flextel or AAISP. I have BT handsets.

A long time ago I had a difficulty getting the BT handsets to work on the Fritzbox 7490 DECT base station, but with some experimentation of the settings I eventually found out what worked and what didn't.

I also use Flextel for the fact that it can generally mostly reveal what an incoming hidden/private number is (except the last three digits) as well as offer the option to block the actual number that Flextel saw in full. I also have a call screening system setup on it so that the caller has to press a number to get through to me.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 04:55:05 PM »

I've had very good experience for many years with the Gigaset IP DECT phones - firstly the C475IP, and currently the N300IP.

The base station lets you register up to 6 VOIP accounts, as well as a single analogue line, and then you configure which lines your different handsets use for incoming/outgoing calls.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 05:53:39 PM »

Cisco 2 Port ATA cheap and easy to setup ATA192
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

clyde123

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 08:39:09 PM »

I've this week setup a Gigaset N300 IP system. Works nicely and very impressed with it. Not expensive for what it does.
I've also run Voip through a number of Draytek V model routers in recent years, and that works well. Sometimes took a bit of work to get the configs right.
Also I ran a number of Linksys ATA units, like the PAP2 series, for a few years. Again those worked well. Although getting the configs right took a lot of time, especially at first. Yes those were cheap.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 10:50:15 PM »

I've still got a SIPgate account which I haven't used since I retired. When I got the Fritz!box 7530 from Zen I saw it had the capability of SIP. So I gave it a go, plugged in a corded handset, followed these instructions and it worked straight off.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 11:38:31 PM »

Grandstream WP820
Yealink W60
Yealink T19
Fanvil X4
Cisco Sipura SPA122

Think that's all I'm using at present

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 11:52:58 PM »

I am investigating a Grandstream HT801 as a means to continue to use my existing telephones . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 01:18:49 AM »

Gigaset N300IP here too, I haven't used the VoIP functionality other than to test it works (though I do have two active accounts on it) but its my DECT base station for the landline and replaced all the old failing BT handsets with Gigaset C430HX units.  So once FTTP is available, the transition should be smooth.

The important thing is my mum is already used to the handsets now so she wont notice the difference when the time comes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 02:29:47 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 06:40:08 AM »

I'm using Fritzbox 7530 for Voip and answerphone with my existing DECT basestation & handsets, connected through A & A Voip service. Works prefectly.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 07:14:47 AM »

I have  Grandstream GXP2170 which is use regularly as my 'office' phone together with a SIPgate account.  I also have a Grandstream HT 802.2 which I planned to use to convert the house phones at some point which I have yet to set up.

I started using the VOIP stuff as a test / experiment and it has worked very well.

The Grandstream stuff seems good value and works well, although setup was not exactly uncomplicated in my case.

tonygibbs16

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 04:45:32 PM »

Hi all,

I am newly registered to the board but have been lurking for a while.

I use a Grandstream HT812 ATA and have it working on Sipgate Basic.

I bought a BT DECT phone to use with it, so that I can try out how I will need to my migrate my existing DECT phones in the future.

Cheers,
    Tony

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 08:18:47 AM »

We use a Gigaset N300A as well, originally because it was compatible with our two existing DEC handsets.  However starting from scratch I don't really see the point of DECT, I would look for a self contained wireless handset. We use the landline a lot less nowadays as we now have mobile coverage at home, so don't need two handsets either.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2022, 10:42:49 AM »

There's good reason to use DECT, WiFi is prone to jitter and packet loss, its not optimal for any low latency protocol where you want reliable delivery.  DECT on the other hand is optimised for its job and uses a much lower frequency so the range is far better too.

Plus having it all managed by a single base station its easier to route calls, have different handsets for different numbers, a single point to manage all the handsets and not needing every handset to have its own connection to the VoIP server so managing NAT traversal is less hassle.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 10:46:36 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2022, 11:46:13 AM »

I have a Polycom Spectralink 8020, which are now obsolete I believe, which was a right PITA to set up. It was extremely fiddly inputting the WiFi SSID and password using the handset keys on the small LCD screen. The SIP server details and user information had to be held on a TFTP server which was an adventure in itself! However, once set up it works extremely well. Presumably the modern-day equivalents are much easier to configure.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.
Pages: [1] 2