Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: smartlife smartbulb problem :(  (Read 3383 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
smartlife smartbulb problem :(
« on: October 22, 2021, 01:53:00 PM »

So got one of these multi colour smart bulbs and an alexa device.

It requires first connecting it using their app (which for some reason wants my location and had to register an internet account).

The app seems outdated, it considers a fast flash twice a second, and slow once every 2 seconds.  This confused me and took me a while to figure out, my bulb actually slow flashes every 6 seconds and fast every 2 seconds.

In addition to switch modes, I have to turn on/off rapidly, not slowly like the apps says.

But onto the problem, it is 2.4ghz only, so had to connect phone to 2.4ghz to set this up, and then it simply cannot connect.  I expect its looking for very basic, very old connectivity as I suspect its very outdated, my 2.4ghz wifi point does not enforce management frame protection, 802.11r disabled, KRACK protection off, and it still cannot connect.

I tried AP mode, and I can connect my phone to the access point on the bulb, but the app doesnt detect I have connected and as such I cannot proceed with the setup.

Any ideas?

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: smartlife smartbulb problem :(
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 02:10:36 PM »

Most smart devices won't connect during the setup if your 2.4GHz and 5GHz share the same SSID.
So if you have that then try renaming the 5GHz temporarily until the bulb is working.

If it's a Samsung Smartlife bulb it might be Zigbee only and would require a Zigbee Hub.

Other than that I've no idea.
What's the exact model?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 03:49:57 PM »

Which Alexa do you have, the Amazon Echo 4th Gen has a built in Zigbee Hub.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 04:18:33 PM »

It is working now, I had to allow the internet access, it uses non standard ports. (its on my guest wifi).  My 2.4ghz does have its own SSID.  I had to disable wifi isolation on openwrt as well, but now its setup, I have enabled isolation again and still works.

The question is, does this still function over wifi if the internet goes down?

meretez I have the "Echo Dot (4th generation) | Smart speaker with Alexa | Charcoal" I might not use it now though, controlling it via the app seems good enough.

The bulb is this one.

Smart Bulb, Alexa Light Bulbs B22, Colour Changing Light Bulb, WiFi LED Lights, RGBCW, 7.5W 800LM, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, No Hub Requi
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DW2Q3SP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lots of hassle getting it working, but now it is I do like it, I have dimmed it to be like my older bulb and changed the tone to a softer tone as well so its more cosy.  Have added a widget to my phone home screen to turn it on and off as well.  I didnt read description fully though and if I did, I would have got a bluetooth or 5ghz bulb.  Bluetooth one's I am guessing are better as they dont use internet just local only?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 04:18:00 AM »

I have confirmed it needs internet access to do any kind of control on app, so now I am turning it on/off via the switch and just using the app to change the tone/colour, seems a big flaw to me.

Whether or not I ever bother to replace it with a bluetooth bulb I dont know though.