Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tesla cars controlled by a server.  (Read 3673 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Tesla cars controlled by a server.
« on: November 23, 2021, 04:19:22 AM »

Seems at least some tesla vehicles have their controls hooked up to a server somewhere which is an eye opener in terms of security.  There was an outage and people couldnt lock or unlock their vehicles lol.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Tesla cars controlled by a server.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 08:16:27 AM »

Seems at least some tesla vehicles have their controls hooked up to a server somewhere which is an eye opener in terms of security.  There was an outage and people couldnt lock or unlock their vehicles lol.

The issue was that people couldn't connect the smartphone app that can be used to unlock and start the car. A key fob or key card can also be used but not everyone carries those as a backup, so without the app working they were locked out of their cars.
This is what happens when you rely on having network connectivity and an app working.
Here's the BBC's take on it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Tesla cars controlled by a server.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 09:24:24 PM »

The issue was that people couldn't connect the smartphone app that can be used to unlock and start the car. A key fob or key card can also be used but not everyone carries those as a backup, so without the app working they were locked out of their cars.
This is what happens when you rely on having network connectivity and an app working.
Here's the BBC's take on it - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59357306

Which is why when I was using my phone and smarkwatch to make contactless payments, I still had the physical cards in my pocket.

Why anyone would rely on a smartphone app for something as important as unlocking their car is beyond me.  I mean what if you drop the phone in the toilet, get mugged, the battery dies, etc?

This explains the pandemic protests in a nutshell, people who are so entitled, with zero concept of having contingency plans or compromises to protect their and other peoples safety.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:27:15 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors