Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Poor speeds with Vodafone  (Read 3397 times)

Jon21

• Reg Member
Re: Poor speeds with Vodafone
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 04:56:08 PM »

No update today, Twitter team are hoping to have more news tomorrow.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 11:49:14 AM »

Update from the Vodafone twitter team.
Thank you for your patience Jonathan. We've received an update on our end and our engineers have stated the mast you'll be connected to is particularly congested most days between 10 am and 10pm. Our Network Team have already performed changes to the serving site to assist with coverage, however, additional equipment and upgrades will be required to reduce the congestion on the network. Our Team have checked for upcoming upgrades which should improve 4G performance and have stated there is some schedule but no exact date is available as of yet, however, this is currently predicted to occur over the next 3 months.

At least something is going to get done about the 4G performance.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2021, 05:18:55 PM »

Not sure if something has been done with regards to upgrades or whether there’s less congestion now (possibly due to the local student population returning home?), but getting some decent download speed now.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2021, 08:50:06 PM »

Sadly there is no one good network due to the nature of mobile, congestion comes and goes for the reasons you describe, upgrades, people only being there during certain times of year, moving to other networks, etc

I was consistently getting 120Mbit off Vodafone for months, then it halved (still decent granted).  I'm right next to the mast however so its WAY more reliable than Three 5G where I can get anywhere between 500-700Mbit but has periods of packet loss (likely down to poor 4G performance which is uses for uploads) which is just not stable enough to use my VPNs.

Basically you have to be very lucky for mobile to get close to the reliability of fixed-line broadband.  Which is I why I have VDSL as my primary connection with both Vodafone 4G and Three 5G for bulk downloads/backup.  I've tried using only say Three 5G on my desktop but as expected, it can be quite rough during peak hours even when there appears to be plenty of bandwidth.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 08:52:15 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]