Computers & Hardware > Networking

Latency when downloading from internet flat-out

<< < (2/4) > >>

Weaver:
Thank you so much Chrys - that’s a superb article, something I hadn’t heard of. I’ve noted Microsoft’s compound TCP and CUBIC, New Reno and so forth, but BBR is new to me. It’s over to the o/s developers now, which means we/I will have to wait at their pleasure. Introduction into Linux distros would create a large implementation boost among servers and that would help us even if our own o/ses - Windows, OSX, iOS, Android etc - have not yet adopted BBR provided it’s effective when only the sending end implements it [?]

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Chrysalis on October 21, 2021, 01:07:37 PM ---Some info here regarding BBR and congestion algorithm's. https://blog.apnic.net/2017/05/09/bbr-new-kid-tcp-block/

--- End quote ---

An excellent article for its its review of the current algorithms.   

Weaver:
BBR looks really well thought-out; a massive improvement over its predecessors because the design goals are sane, not just all about maxed performance and congestion. Reno’s sawtooth looks like madness when viewed from today’s perspective now. I see all kinds of stupid behaviour like that in speed tests - which imho shouldn’t be using TCP anyway as then they’re testing the TCP implementation, not the link, although using TCP might be a useful secondary option to give additional info.

Chrysalis:

--- Quote from: Weaver on October 21, 2021, 11:45:45 PM ---Thank you so much Chrys - that’s a superb article, something I hadn’t heard of. I’ve noted Microsoft’s compound TCP and CUBIC, New Reno and so forth, but BBR is new to me. It’s over to the o/s developers now, which means we/I will have to wait at their pleasure. Introduction into Linux distros would create a large implementation boost among servers and that would help us even if our own o/ses - Windows, OSX, iOS, Android etc - have not yet adopted BBR provided it’s effective when only the sending end implements it [?]

--- End quote ---

Its already in new linux kernels and I use it on all my linux based servers.  I believe its in FreeBSD 13 or coming to 14.

Windows probably a long way off if ever. :(

However it isnt the default in linux, and probably wont be in FreeBSD either, so down to server admin's enabling it.

Even just downloading from an ftp, the difference is noticeable, on bbr, it doesnt flatline max my connection, but instead is just below it, its kind of like a built in QoS.

Weaver:
I somehow think Microsoft will be compelled to adopt it even if only as an option. It needs to be the default in o/ses though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version