Internet > General Internet

IPv6 the selling point everyone missed.

<< < (5/5)

Chrysalis:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on October 21, 2021, 03:19:55 PM ---Yes the traffic coming into the NIC IS TAGGED, because this works perfectly on Linux allowing me a one-click solution to enable/disabe IPv6 on that box for testing as I just disconnect the virtual NIC assigned to that VLAN, without impacting the untagged traffic whatsoever or interrupting my network shares to the NAS.

My point wasn't to troubleshoot the issue rather to highlight how idiotic Windows default behaviour is if its untagging the traffic rather than ignoring it, particularly as the NIC driver is VLAN aware and I can manually select which VLAN to use, so you'd expect the default of "none" would ignore ALL tagged traffic?  I guess its possible this is a driver issue.

The intent wasn't to fix the issue but to understand HOW its getting its fixed IP address from pfSense when surely DHCPv6 can't function if its unable to receive a response from the client?  So presumably its using RA which pfSense makes no mention of this being tied to the DHCPv6 static IP list.

--- End quote ---

I would expect windows if not configured to use VLAN's to ignore the tags rather than ignore the traffic, thanks for confirming your setup.  This to me explains why you had the problem you had.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: Chrysalis on October 22, 2021, 01:34:06 PM ---I would expect windows if not configured to use VLAN's to ignore the tags rather than ignore the traffic, thanks for confirming your setup.  This to me explains why you had the problem you had.

--- End quote ---

I could understand that if the NIC driver didn't support VLANs, but on Linux if the NIC isn't opted into a VLAN it ignores the traffic, which is obviously necessary if you are using tagged and untagged on the same port.  A prime example of that being OpenWRT.

Chrysalis:
Yeah that would indicate Linux is always VLAN aware, whilst Windows when its disabled just acts dumb and accepts everything regardless of tagging.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: Chrysalis on October 22, 2021, 04:07:49 PM ---Yeah that would indicate Linux is always VLAN aware, whilst Windows when its disabled just acts dumb and accepts everything regardless of tagging.

--- End quote ---

Just another thing about the Windows networking stack to hate I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version