Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Instagram and Facebook down  (Read 3488 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Instagram and Facebook down
« on: October 04, 2021, 05:57:41 PM »

In case anyone is interested both of these fail to resolve using DNS, at least for me!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Instagram and Facebook down
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 06:28:20 PM »

WhatsApp and Oculus too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58793174

Has Facebook purchased a DNS company yet?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 08:04:03 PM »

In case anyone is interested both of these fail to resolve using DNS, at least for me!

Stuart
When I checked I could resolve Facebook.com but not www.facebook.com or m.facebook.com. That was using Opendns.

andew

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 08:23:35 PM »

Looks like facebook BGP routes have been removed. FB appears to be an internet blackhole at the moment.  No traffic can get routed to them.

Andrew

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 08:42:15 PM »

Our lasses mates will be gutted they wont be able to share what they had for tea.   ;)

celso

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 05:50:39 PM »

One interesting side effect of this was the load Facebook apps put on recursive DNS servers.

Since Facebook's DNS servers were down, apps kept making DNS requests, essentially DDoSing recursive DNS servers. Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 reported loads higher than normal, Google's 8.8.8.8 became slower in some places, and I assume many ISPs had the same problem.

This resulted in other sites being "slow" or "offline" because the DNS servers were too slow or didn't reply to queries at all...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 06:19:46 PM »

The Technology Section of the BBC web-site now has a "What happened to Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram?" article.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 02:45:39 AM »

Andrews and Arnold have taken some measures against disaster with the separate independent domain name aastatus.net which I think is hosted by their friend-company Watchfront, and they also iirc use Watchfront’s network for disaster-redundancy [or whatever?] where needed. Watchfront is their collaborator in firebrick.co.uk. I have this very vague dubious memory about AA using Zen’s network for some disaster measures - is that utter nonsense that I just dreamed up?

I was thinking that Facebook need a completely independent, second, parallel management network, which also has a route into the main management network and their normal AS. But they need second interfaces (maybe not physical ones) into switches, routers, critical servers, so they can monitor and configure them even when the main AS is dead. It would be a nightmare to implement and test and would cost an absolute fortune, but they can afford it.

anything