Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Moving to BT FTTP need some advice  (Read 2371 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Moving to BT FTTP need some advice
« on: October 18, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »

Hi everyone,

as some of you are aware, I've been with Plusnet for over 5-6 years now, they have been great, the only major issue I had was a 10MB speed loss overnight in a 4-hour window (12-4 am on the dots) and stayed that way for 3 years since.. this is obviously an Openreach issue and not a PN problem, so I find it hard to blame them for that, still, my speed is reasonably good at 60Mbps (lucky me) - oh and one other tiny problem was "sticky" Dynamic IP addresses that would remain static even with a 24 hour off period, sorted that with a forum request. no IPv6 too

so, I am wanting to get BT full-fibre installed (FTTP) - and yes it is available at my address, sorry I get asked a lot.

My Contract with Plusnet ends on the 3rd December where it shoots up to £47 from then on - when would be the best time to contact BT about switching?  what is the process when switching from VDSL to PON? so there is no downtime and no "extra costs" paying 2 ISPS for the same month - I'm aware that last part is going to be difficult and may have to pay some to both for the last month at PN and first month at BT

I'll be getting the 500 or 900 option (no landline), not yet decided

also, is their hub any good? I've been told on BT forums that you can use ANY router on the PON modem?
i would like one i can install 3rd party Firmware on that allows VPNs, Port Triggering and a Plethora of other options, Wi-Fi speed doesn't bother me, as long as they all have G/Bit LAN's as everything is run off them (Windows PC, OLED TV, XBOX, Linux PC) - only my mobile uses Wi-Fi, so I'm not so bothered about that.

any and all advice is greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Moving to BT FTTP need some advice
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »

You were given the answers to your questions on the BT forum https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/wanting-to-move-from-Plusnet-VDSL-to-BT-FTTP-can-anyone-advise/m-p/2188423#M139408

The BT hub is locked down and doesn't have any whistles and bells, and yes, you can use any third party router you like.

However, remember if you do decide to take telephony as well as broadband you will need to use the BT hub for their proprietary VOIP system Digital Voice.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:26:48 AM by licquorice »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 11:38:29 AM »

You were given the answers to your questions on the BT forum https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/wanting-to-move-from-Plusnet-VDSL-to-BT-FTTP-can-anyone-advise/m-p/2188423#M139408

The BT hub is locked down and doesn't have any whistles and bells, and yes, you can use any third party router you like.

However, remember if you do decide to take telephony as well as broadband you will need to use the BT hub for their proprietary VOIP system Digital Voice.

yeah, its called "putting your fingers in a few pies" - i repost the same question(s) across a few forums and cherry pick , it also helps get a clearer idea of the process and what happens when you get it from several points of view from different people :)

EDIT: also on KITZ there are more "homebrew" types IMO
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:42:35 AM by snadge »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 11:49:20 AM »

I hate to keep mentioning this but BTs Digital Voice is not available everywhere yet so a landline may still require either copper or a different VOIP supplier. I enquired about Digital Voice for me on BT FTTP and was told it is not available here in my area. Obviously YMMV and maybe it is in your location but enquire first.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 11:59:58 AM »

I hate to keep mentioning this but BTs Digital Voice is not available everywhere yet so a landline may still require either copper or a different VOIP supplier. I enquired about Digital Voice for me on BT FTTP and was told it is not available here in my area. Obviously YMMV and maybe it is in your location but enquire first.

Stuart

I won't be taking out the landline service, i will solely be using mobile as I get a signal in my flat
I'm more interested in good 3rd party routers you can install 3rd party firmware in, to put to the PON modem, so i can add my VPN into it so all devices are covered etc... as I said in my first post

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 02:45:14 PM »

Stuart

Yes but at any point in time BT can switch you to Digital Voice.
If it isn't in your area yet, it will be VERY soon. The Digital Voice rollout is almost complete and soon ALL full fibre with Voice orders on BT will be Digital Voice.

My BT FTTP came with PSTN.
My neighbour ordered around a month after me and did get Digital Voice.
Any subsequent FTTP order on my exchange has Digital Voice.

Scrap that.
Just started a dummy order for BT FTTP in your street.
It comes with Digital Voice.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 02:51:23 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 03:02:18 PM »

@ snadge:

I was in a somewhat similar position at the end of last year wishing to leave Plusnet before the end of my December contract, in my case FTTP was still not available as that time and I was migrating to another FTTC, VDSL provider due to over 2 years of unresolved admin. issues with PN after 11 years of patronage.
I was charged well under a fiver penalty for just over a months early exit so not a big issue by any means.

However, would advise keeping a very close eye on the exit procedure from Plusnet, as previously mentioned by many, log/copy/snapshot all the procedings on PN's "my questions" as all access to PN's systems will disappear on the migration day.
In my case and much to my surprise considering the previous 2 years performance, my exit was trouble free, many have found otherwise!

I will likely migrate to FTTP with BT at the end of this year as now available at my address and BT appear to be most cost effective for new customers at present.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 03:27:55 PM »

Snadge you can choose an installation/activation date with BT.
Put in an online order picking the date you want to start.

Contact Plusnet 30 days before you wish the service to cease to give them notice.
If you wish to keep the landline number then migrate it to VOIP.
The VOIP migration will trigger a cease of the Plusnet line.
It's a minimum of 10 working days for a migration order so 2 weeks before.

I recommend a slight overlap just incase there's an issue with your FTTP install.

You can actually migrate your Plusnet FTTC to BT FTTP data only. The landline number would simply disappear.
Any issues with the FTTP install would likely see you with no service at all as Plusnet usually still go ahead with closing your account despite the migration failing.

You can use virtually any router you like that supports PPP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM