Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another FTTP preparation question  (Read 1089 times)

TheKeymeister

Another FTTP preparation question
« on: October 15, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »

I've finally got to the stage where I can order Openreach based FTTP, woo hoo!

I currently have no copper service, I've been running on Three HomeFi 4G for the past 2 and a bit years, mostly successfully. Prior to that I was scraping around 25meg on FTTC due to cabinet distance and ally cable...

The ducted entry to my house is right where it should be, next to my ethernet sockets and my UPS.   I just want to get the house end prepared now, and keep it as tidy as possible. Looking at the developer's guide, it suggests mounting the ONT over a single or double backbox, and the incoming fibre needs a 12mm hole through the wall. I ideally want to keep all the outside business behind the capping, nice and neat and protected, so want to do the drilling myself to avoid any mistakes on install day.

Can the 12mm hole enter the backbox for the ONT, or does it need to be below it? Does it need to enter a specific corner or doesn't it matter? Any photos of one installed with this arrangement would be ideal, all the ones I've seen are either directly mounted to the wall, or the old version with the massive box and battery backup unit.

I'm also planning to put a piece of 20mm plastic conduit in, to protect the fibre from any funny business happening in the cavity, and can then be sealed at either end. Can anyone see any issues with this?

I understand the entry through the wall should be between 300-770mm from the duct, and in line with it as much as possible. From the photos of CSPs that I can find, it looks like all cable entries have to be from the bottom of it and not through the back of it - is this right?

Apologies for being so anal, I'm just trying to get it as tidy as possible, and I probably do have some undiagnosed form of OCD that makes me over-engineer anything like this.

Thanks in advance
lol, internet

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Another FTTP preparation question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 05:30:11 PM »

The developers guide is for new build installs.
It's the home builder who installs the back box.
OpenReach engineers don't install or carry enclosures or back boxes on standard FTTP installs.

With your setup they should feed the fibre through the current entry point and install the ONT on the wall on the other side of the entry point.
In many cases this is where the current master socket sits.

You would of course be welcome to install your own back box where the entry point will be. It won't look very nice though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 06:27:26 PM »

No back box to ONT AFAIK.

There is an official "kit" for the hole in the wall for the fibre optic cable from the outside splice point into the house.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 08:35:40 PM »

No back box to ONT AFAIK

The current very small ONT's currently being fitted by OR or their sub-contractors (believe they are Huawei units) have two slotted rear mounting holes, on the recent installations I have seen, two small holes have been drilled, screws left slightly "proud" and the ONT just slotted down on the screws, can't see how it would be (easily) possible to mount the ONT on a wall box. 
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 12:10:16 PM »

It's the ONT enclosures that sit on the back boxes and the ONT sits inside the enclosure. Both the new small Huawei and small Nokia ONTs can fit.
None of the ONTs mount directly to a back box.

As mentioned above the enclosures are for new builds only.

OpenReach are also only deploying Nokia ONTs now according to a few different engineers with all Huawei ONTs engineers are carrying to be returned.
It doesn't affect already deployed Huawei ONTs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 12:13:21 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM