Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTP - Speed Testing  (Read 3362 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP - Speed Testing
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 09:49:18 PM »

I would try it with the BT Hub. The My BT app has a 'test my speed' option under 'More'.

I would also be interested in what version firmware, the hub is using, as it may not be the latest and you will need to wait for BT to remotely update it.

Bestgear

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »

The only true way to test would be as suggested already, and test against a server you are in control off and which would give you an accurate ping (ping and jitter are calculated best guess as the test servers cannot ping directly to you)

Thanks - its very hard to know really.... I think I need to get the homehub out and try then speak to them next week.

You know fibre should be there or not - no dlm so no variations in speed in theory excluding exchange congestion... and I would hope that would not be an issue with only small numbers of subscribers currently.

I notice too that my IP location is not in my town with FTTP - whereas the IP location on FTTC was a couple of hundred miles away so I can only assume each exchange has a new backbone connection.... which it must have for bandwidth I think....anyone else spotted that?
D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2021, 08:15:14 PM »

You know fibre should be there or not - no dlm so no variations in speed in theory excluding exchange congestion... and I would hope that would not be an issue with only small numbers of subscribers currently.

That's far from reality I'm afraid.

If you want full speed tests at all times of day and full single thread speeds then you're going to be paying a lot more than BT charge for a residential service.

There's PON contention (your splitter node), exchange congestion and backhaul congestion.
That's just within BT's realm before you hit the wider internet.

I've been following 2 recent online complaints with BT FTTP where they have refused to help customers on the 900Mb package who are hitting the guaranteed minimum which is around 450Mb/s.
Both cases hit a deadlock, went to the ombudsman and the ombudsman has ruled in BT's favour.

BT won't entertain your complaint until you connect the Smart Hub 2.
It has a built in speed tester that specifically tests throughput to the Hub. It rules out any and all hardware at the customer end like underpowered PC's/laptops/phones or things like problematic Ethernet adapters.

There's no DLM to affect the sync speed but it's very much a residential service and expectations should match that.
It's a contended service and is advertised/sold/priced at such.
You aren't likely to get far with any complaints about speeds under the minimum guarantee.

It also isn't a pitiful guarantee. What BT guarantee you is considerably higher than what OpenReach guarantee BT.
It's higher than I've seen from any other residential OpenReach FTTP provider.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2021, 11:35:51 PM »

What J0hn said.

To get a ‘guarantee’ of full link speed to your ISP, you need a ‘leased line’ - which is dedicated to you, and costs a fortune per month. My ISP, Andrews and Arnold, for example, will happily sell you one, ultimately provided by BT, will charge you god knows what, and you can have any speed you want. But even that won’t give you what you really want/need, a speed guarantee across the wider internet as the whole internet and servers at the far end is/are not under the control of your ISP. AA will only guarantee ‘not to be the bottleneck’ themselves, with best efforts and within reasonable limits.

But shared PON is no good for you if you want even more speed than say 450 Mbps or whatever. Look at what Carl has achieved for example, speed measurement of what was it 2.1 Gbps downstream ? - some months back.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:42:34 PM by Weaver »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 12:06:24 PM »

There's the peering and transit of the ISP to consider too, the remote server's capabilities (e.g. 1Gbit port) as well as the network that the remote server is on (their peering, transit, etc). Anything along the route that the specific connection takes. There's many factors which may result in a 'speed test' that doesn't live up to how you thought it would.

For example, my connection with Cerberus to my OVH server, even on 'ultimate bandwidth', has congestion issues somewhere along the route. However, if I go via another server, such as Mullvad (VPN) to reach the OVH server then I have no trouble with some apparent congestion issue.

kjw

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2021, 10:08:01 AM »

I have found https://nperf.com pretty much maxes out my 900/100 line at most times, when it doesn't I think its contention rather than anything else as there has been quite a large take up since we went live 5 months back.

Here is one run just this minute - https://pasteboard.co/4fDz9kTz5cRv.png
ZEN 900/100 via pfSense | Unifi AC-HD WiFi
Speed Test | BQM Graph

Bestgear

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2021, 11:57:08 AM »

I have found https://nperf.com pretty much maxes out my 900/100 line at most times, when it doesn't I think its contention rather than anything else as there has been quite a large take up since we went live 5 months back.

Here is one run just this minute - https://pasteboard.co/4fDz9kTz5cRv.png

Thanks for that - looks like a good tester to stay with.

I am not getting the throughput you have seen, but thats another story. What sped of PC are you using to test and what router are you using?

Bestgear

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2021, 12:09:35 PM »

I've been following 2 recent online complaints with BT FTTP where they have refused to help customers on the 900Mb package who are hitting the guaranteed minimum which is around 450Mb/s.
Both cases hit a deadlock, went to the ombudsman and the ombudsman has ruled in BT's favour.

That is interesting.... even with my testing, the speed does vary - with 850ish being seen now and again...even on a pc that the following day will report half that. The BT Wholesale test is variable... upload speed always above the "promise", which has been widely reported.

Been using multiple pcs at the same time (all targeting different test servers and even different test apps/sites) to see what the UTM reports - and it is still capped at pretty much the best one PC can manage (on teh day) so that kinds proves its not internal to the house.

BT won't entertain your complaint until you connect the Smart Hub 2.
It has a built in speed tester that specifically tests throughput to the Hub. It rules out any and all hardware at the customer end like underpowered PC's/laptops/phones or things like problematic Ethernet adapters.

Yes- thats a job for today - had a brief play but it would not allow me to set the LAN subnet to be a 10.0.0.0/16 which I need to slot the thing in, so may need to live with 192.x.x.x for a week of testing which is a bugger for all other devices I have. So - question - if you use the "built in speed tester) where does that run "to"? - the local exchange? Cant see anything else giving much different speeds.

Anyone else run a UTM in a HyperV VM? I have used Untangle for years and is totally stable in a VM. Intel i350 nics, running off a passthrough SSD. Changing cpu allocation (default 2 vcpus, been to 8) and memory (usually 6gb but been to 12) as well as changing VMQ, IPsec offloading and SR-IOV has made negligible difference (some for obvious reasons such as dedicated nics to the VM plus low load on host).

Will also move Untangle to an appliance this afternoon too - just to rule the virtualisation out - its a Caswell i7 with 8GB ram and intel nics... will be interesting to see where it sits or indeed if anything changes!

The one thing that does puzzle me is why testing with multiple PCs and target speed test sites does the aggregate not equate to something at or around the 900ish? There cannot be a capacity issue at my local exchange already.... orders just opened up 5-6 weeks ago.

David

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 05:13:08 AM »

nperf is great. It has a weird quirk on my machine - it doesn’t see the availability of IPv6. That’s very weird since my iPadOS Safari prefers IPv6 anyway. For example speedtest.aa.net.uk often uses IPv6. I don’t know if their website even has an IPv6 address, didn’t check.

Don’t bother with the app. It seems to give worse results and takes forever as it does a whole load of additional tests involving performance if your browser and youtube video playing and all kinds of such nonsense that has nothing to do with your internet access link which is what it should be testing.

I can’t see how to restrict app or website to do just one test alone, eg upload, to save time.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 06:01:20 AM »

nperf is great. It has a weird quirk on my machine - it doesn’t see the availability of IPv6. That’s very weird since my iPadOS Safari prefers IPv6 anyway. For example speedtest.aa.net.uk often uses IPv6. I don’t know if their website even has an IPv6 address, didn’t check.

I've be cautiously rolling out IPv6 to a limited number of clients on my LAN using a dedicated dual-stack VLAN.  It didn't see my IPv6 either despite it working fine on AAISPs tester. 

Don’t bother with the app. It seems to give worse results and takes forever as it does a whole load of additional tests involving performance if your browser and youtube video playing and all kinds of such nonsense that has nothing to do with your internet access link which is what it should be testing.

I can’t see how to restrict app or website to do just one test alone, eg upload, to save time.

Apps frustrate me in general, too often they provide an inferior experience to just using the website.  The really annoying one for me is speedtest.net who nag for me to use their app on Windows because "it performs better on fast connections", but it absolutely doesn't.

I don't think I ever once got a good result on their Windows app, it always shows much slower than the browser.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 06:10:39 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]