Broadband Related > FTTP Rollout

FTTP - Speed Testing

(1/5) > >>

Bestgear:
Hi Guys

Just wondered what is considered as a sensible way to measure FTTP throughput given that most of the usual suspects hosts are unlikely to have sufficient bandwidth to run your line flat out.

I find that Vodafone (two that are offered by Speedtest.net (app) are up there, but are variable.

All my cable is cat6 (checked with a certifier), and I am using Untangle in a VM (intel nics) and get a respectable performance - see attached image.

I have also tested with a PC directly into the ONT, so no router, and it is not any better for me.

I have not unboxed the BT provided router so cant use their own "account" speed test.

Thoughts?

Alex Atkin UK:
I think the only practical way is to do it between 3am and 6am when less people are likely to be online.

Even then, I've seen faster speeds in real-world usage on Three 5G than any speed test I've done, but that's probably partly down to the difference in a mobile network vs a hardline.

Weaver:
You could try speedtest.aa.net.uk, it’s not so heavily used, I would assume, but probably better to pick an odd time, as previous posters said. You really need a speed-tester that is in your own ISP’s network, ideally, so that you won’t have to cross the wider internet of course.

dee.jay:
What happens if you follow the "if you are testing 500/1000mbps product, click here" ?

Ixel:
I tend to use:
- iperf to a server which has either at least a 1Gbit or 10Gbit connection. Oracle Cloud for example is one place I use, as I use their service
- nperf.com
- speedtest.net
- DSLreports or Waveform's Bufferbloat Test (https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat)
- Various UK mirror servers for ISO images like CentOS (better during early hours of the morning I guess though)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version