Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTP - Speed Testing  (Read 3440 times)

Bestgear

FTTP - Speed Testing
« on: October 10, 2021, 06:56:17 PM »

Hi Guys

Just wondered what is considered as a sensible way to measure FTTP throughput given that most of the usual suspects hosts are unlikely to have sufficient bandwidth to run your line flat out.

I find that Vodafone (two that are offered by Speedtest.net (app) are up there, but are variable.

All my cable is cat6 (checked with a certifier), and I am using Untangle in a VM (intel nics) and get a respectable performance - see attached image.

I have also tested with a PC directly into the ONT, so no router, and it is not any better for me.

I have not unboxed the BT provided router so cant use their own "account" speed test.

Thoughts?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTP - Speed Testing
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 12:02:18 AM »

I think the only practical way is to do it between 3am and 6am when less people are likely to be online.

Even then, I've seen faster speeds in real-world usage on Three 5G than any speed test I've done, but that's probably partly down to the difference in a mobile network vs a hardline.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:14:39 AM »

You could try speedtest.aa.net.uk, it’s not so heavily used, I would assume, but probably better to pick an odd time, as previous posters said. You really need a speed-tester that is in your own ISP’s network, ideally, so that you won’t have to cross the wider internet of course.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 12:02:38 PM »

What happens if you follow the "if you are testing 500/1000mbps product, click here" ?
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 02:22:57 PM »

I tend to use:
- iperf to a server which has either at least a 1Gbit or 10Gbit connection. Oracle Cloud for example is one place I use, as I use their service
- nperf.com
- speedtest.net
- DSLreports or Waveform's Bufferbloat Test (https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat)
- Various UK mirror servers for ISO images like CentOS (better during early hours of the morning I guess though)

Bestgear

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 05:12:46 PM »

What happens if you follow the "if you are testing 500/1000mbps product, click here" ?

Some guidance appears... hehe

Bestgear

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 05:15:04 PM »

You could try speedtest.aa.net.uk, it’s not so heavily used, I would assume, but probably better to pick an odd time, as previous posters said. You really need a speed-tester that is in your own ISP’s network, ideally, so that you won’t have to cross the wider internet of course.

Thanks - will give it a try....I find that BT Wholesale tester bad during the day, but evenings and weekends are better for obvious reasons.

I did look at  thinkbroadbands tool - but was crap for me... I think photoshop would be needed to get any decent speed recorded  ???

Bestgear

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 05:17:29 PM »

Great tips here - clearly from experience! Thanks for these.

Has anyone used - and do they rate - the speed tester that is presented within the BT portal?

As I am not using a HomehUb - I cannot use it - and according to the BT support staff they cannot see line speeds without a Homehub either... which I am somewhat sceptical about.

At least with FTTP there is no DLM to worry about messing your speeds up...

D

Bestgear

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 05:20:28 PM »

Need to try it when the kids (across the UK) go to sleep....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 05:55:14 PM »

Perhaps try fast.com ?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 12:31:42 AM »

Need to try it when the kids (across the UK) go to sleep....

Fortunately Fortnite, COD and Roblox doesn't use a lot of bandwidth. ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bestgear

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 02:15:26 PM »

Bestgear

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 02:31:50 PM »

Fortunately Fortnite, COD and Roblox doesn't use a lot of bandwidth. ;)

Aye, thats about the extent of it!

Bestgear

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »

Hi

I am seeing real speed variations in testing - including many well below the pitiful promise of 450Mb.....

Anyone know what the process is in respect of speed issues with BT/OR?

I guess I need to - firstly - put a homehub at the end of the fibre and retest using the myBT portal? Does that provide any direct speed test that excludes the inherent latency and capacity issues of using another public service? I kinds hoped it could test from my homhub to the exchange that would prove the link.

Thoughts?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 07:24:20 PM »

Hi

The only true way to test would be as suggested already, and test against a server you are in control off and which would give you an accurate ping (ping and jitter are calculated best guess as the test servers cannot ping directly to you)

You could download a 1GB non compressible file and time it to calculate

The BT HH speed test is your first picture, here is mine for comparison on hardwired to pc (FTTP 300/50) (FTTC 80/20 previously showed faster but computer appears to be faster on FTTP)

Looks low and untrue but picture 2 is taken from iphone on wireless...

BT always state you will not have a full 900mbps all the time, and it will vary... so what is not working on your network that you need full bandwidth - perhaps look at full leased line

Many thanks

John
Pages: [1] 2