Computers & Hardware > PC Hardware

Rescuing a Knackered HD?

<< < (5/5)

parkdale:
Seagate drives have the ticking heads/chirping noise when reading... always makes me nervous  :no:

Floydoid:
It was a WD.

Chrysalis:

--- Quote from: Floydoid on October 08, 2021, 07:56:05 PM ---Today I had to remove one of the SATA drives from my machine - the one I use for backups and archive storage. Anyway Windows was so long booting up this morning, even trying a scan and repair of the errant drive before getting to the desktop, but Windows had more or less ground to a halt because it was struggling to recognise the drive, so physical removal was the quick fix solution.  I found my old hard drive USB caddy and popped it in there to try it, but once again Windows was not recognising it and things ground to a halt.

So my question is, what are my options if Windows won't recognise it to the point where I could try some recovery and repair tools?  I'd like to be able to recover the data as some of it is quite valuable and I've accumulated it over a long period of time.

Nobody backs up their backups, right?

--- End quote ---

So to understand its more like an archive than a backup? a backup is a backup of data you have elsewhere, and I am guessing some of this data is "only" in your backup?

If the drive is in a bad enough state that the OS is struggling to even recognise it, then its past the point of any advice I could offer, so I only offer you best of luck in recovering it.

After its recovered consider a cloud service to backup, its probably more £££ efficient to use something like onedrive or backblaze, than buying physical hardware to backup data, especially considering you would have to routinely replace that hardware every X years as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version