Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky G.Fast keep-alive?  (Read 1070 times)

facboy

• Just arrived
Sky G.Fast keep-alive?
« on: October 07, 2021, 08:10:10 PM »

does anybody know if there is some sort of keep-alive on G.Fast (on Sky, if that matters)?

reason I ask is for about 9 months i've been using an MT992 with my own OpenWRT router.  everything is fine except occasionally it will completely drop sync and then resync.  it's always (as in literally, every single time) around 22:45-23:15, but it isn't otherwise on a predictable cadence.  usually a few days apart.  there's not much info available from the MT992 unfortunately, all i know is i notice connectivity loss on my PC, then the 'Internet' light on the MT992 is out, then the DSL light goes, and after a couple of minutes it resyncs and comes back online.

i've swapped back to the sky router, and it's been up for over a week now - normally i would have expected a drop out by this point.  that said it has gone for over a week once before, but then it started dropping out again.  i was wondering if there is some keep-alive that my OpenWRT router isn't responding to that is causing the other end to terminate the connection.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Sky G.Fast keep-alive?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 10:16:36 PM »

As you're using the MT992 if its dropping its THERE the problem must lie, the router plays no part in keeping the line alive, only the PPP session and the modem should stay in sync even if you have no active PPP session at all.

Its likely either random like you said and not happened yet on the Sky, or the MT992 may be more sensitive to a particular noise issue you are having in your area.  It could even be power fluctuations, PSU going bad on MT992, bad capacitors in the MT992, a lot of these things can trigger random issues.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:19:24 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

facboy

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 11:38:16 PM »

yes, it was more than it is always around the same time of night (though not every day).  may just be more sensitive as you said - possibly somebody is doing something in our building on some nights, always around that time.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 12:14:53 AM »

Indeed, if its something switching on/off then the noise it creates wont be identical every time, so it not always being enough to drop sync is not unusual.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 04:59:40 PM »

there's not much info available from the MT992 unfortunately

U can purchase this one better online https://esonline.co.uk/product/260951 because trust me this one much better than Openreach Modem MT992

My stats on Openreach Modem MT992
down: 181 up: 26 (way too low)
My live stats on zyxel xmg3927-b50a under my signature below (it can access more information via dslstats)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 05:04:44 PM »

It could simply be the DLM resyncing the line.

Without access to line stats it's hard to say what could be causing the line to resync.
A modem with stats may answer what's going on but that can be a big spend only to find it's the DLM and can't be prevented.

If you're purchasing another modem I would suggest getting something that could be returned after trying it incase the issue persisted.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything