Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bug in Windows 11 installation  (Read 5125 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Bug in Windows 11 installation
« on: October 06, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »

So...... I was taking my mate though the quick install process  :lol: when we were confronted by 0x8007007f @ 72% complete!
Doing this by remote desktop a bit fiddly, any how after a few more attempts I ran the install routine as admin.

I wonder how many people will figure that one out  :-X

This was from Microsoft's Windows 11 upgrade site, quick install routine. I nearly went for the ISO..

I just need to buy a new Processor/Motherboard/Memory/Graphics card/Power supply to get it  >:D
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Bug in Windows 11 installation
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 08:47:56 PM »

Surprisingly from Windows Update it went smoothly.  I opted in to Release Preview as its effectively the final version in testing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 07:08:59 AM »

I will stick with windows 10 for now.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 10:11:28 PM »

I will stick with windows 10 for now.

Windows 11 feels faster.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 11:02:57 AM »

Windows 11 feels faster.

But it doesn't support features like taskbar apps. I will wait maybe they add it later
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 04:35:42 PM »

It might be faster because it could dare to rely on the availability of important new instructions, and can remove performance-killing conditional branches that check for supported-vs-unsupported features.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 06:51:49 PM »

It might be faster because it could dare to rely on the availability of important new instructions, and can remove performance-killing conditional branches that check for supported-vs-unsupported features.

That's been my theory for their future plans, but not seen any evidence they've done it yet.  In fact as I have an AMD CPU it will have actually been running slower due to their sheduler and L3 cache bugs, lol.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 02:56:20 AM »

Have they made bad changes to their scheduler ? Could you clarify about L3 caching?

Updates in recent years have as we know been horrible because of a new phenomenon: security updates (for very unlikely issues) that absolutely crucify performance, to do with CPUs leaking information to other threads/processes etc. I doubt there are any such new fixes in Win 11 RC that are not also in recent Win 10 panicky security updates, since those fixes normally get applied quickly to every o/s version.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »

Have they made bad changes to their scheduler ? Could you clarify about L3 caching?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/fixes-for-amd-ryzen-performance-other-windows-11-issues-rolling-out-to-testers-now/

The headliner here is a fix for a problem affecting L3 cache latency on AMD Ryzen processors. According to AMD, the bug can reduce performance by 3–5 percent. The Windows 11 update released earlier this week may have actually made the problem worse, but at least a fix is imminent.

The L3 latency bug is one of a pair of problems that AMD identified with Windows 11 earlier this month. The other Windows 11 problem AMD identified, which can prevent high-core-count, high-wattage Ryzen chips from correctly assigning work to the processor's fastest individual cores, will be fixed via an AMD driver update.

Of course I think people are blowing these problems way out of proportion, especially considering how quickly they are being fixed.

Not surprised I didn't notice them though, I have a top-end Ryzen 9 so it has tons of overhead for my usage, which was why I bought it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 11:54:31 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 03:48:20 PM »

I believe some of the Ryzen processors can execute max 5 ops in parallel under the right conditions, compared with Intel’s four. That’s something that I think is amazing about the good Ryzen CPUs. I don’t know if that’s true for the lower end ‘Ryzen’-branded CPUs in their range?

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 08:54:03 AM »

So...... I was taking my mate though the quick install process  :lol: when we were confronted by 0x8007007f @ 72% complete!
Doing this by remote desktop a bit fiddly, any how after a few more attempts I ran the install routine as admin.

I wonder how many people will figure that one out  :-X

This was from Microsoft's Windows 11 upgrade site, quick install routine. I nearly went for the ISO..

I just need to buy a new Processor/Motherboard/Memory/Graphics card/Power supply to get it  >:D

I upgraded my personal PC and Laptop and had no problems.

I then upgraded my work laptop (Yes someone allowed me to do this) ran into the same error. I did the same as you, rebooted, logged in as an admin account not my usual domain account and upgraded from there, worked great.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

anything