Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Online security bill  (Read 3779 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Online security bill
« on: February 08, 2022, 09:57:51 AM »

I have been following the Openrights group now for some time and this morning a regualr email from them dropped in my in box. It claims that this bill will weaken end to end encryption which will make things worse not better.

Today is “Safer Internet Day”, and the Government is pushing their false narrative that encryption for private messaging apps is dangerous. We know the opposite is true - encryption is the only thing stopping scammers, thieves and criminals from hacking you.

What do folks here think, who is right Priti Patel and the law makers or Openrights?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Online security bill
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 10:07:11 AM »

The Openrights group is right. You can’t legislate against the acts of terrorists who can use encryption themselves.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 10:19:22 AM »

The problem with end-to-end encryption of course is that, as well as ordinary users who just want to protect themselves from hacking, it will also be used by criminals to keep their illegal activities secret. So in a sense, both parties to the argument are right.
My personal opinion is that I don't want the lawmakers to take away my right to keep personal information confidential.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 11:09:16 AM »

The problem with end-to-end encryption of course is that, as well as ordinary users who just want to protect themselves from hacking, it will also be used by criminals to keep their illegal activities secret. So in a sense, both parties to the argument are right.
My personal opinion is that I don't want the lawmakers to take away my right to keep personal information confidential.

I agree to a certain extent, however banning or weakening it here in the UK will not prevent criminals here or elsewhere in the world from using it and it is the World Wide web after all so the law only applies here in the UK. I'm sure GCHQ have the ability to crack most of what is used today although it might take a while  ;)

Stuart

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 11:21:02 AM »

Why has it taken this Government nearly 11 years to challenge one of the main communication tools used in the 2011 riots?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 11:35:16 AM »

Why has it taken this Government nearly 11 years to challenge one of the main communication tools used in the 2011 riots?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

Making something against the law does not stop its use, that I think is the fundamental issue here. There are lots of very sophisticated encryption tools freely available so it is quite easy for anyone to use these. Why should I be banned from using such tools to encrypt my data on my equipment at home to keep it safe from prying eyes that might hack in to my network? Why should I be banned from using such tools to encrypt my communication to my family if I so wish? I think there are enough powers already in statute to obtain court orders if the law enforcement agencies think they have a case to obtain access.

Stuart

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 01:53:02 PM »

What Stuart said.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 02:28:53 PM »

The US are doing one better, they want ALL COMMUNICATION ONLINE to pass through one of their monitoring boxes, but they expect service providers to do it.

Of course their excuse https://www.missingkids.org/blog/2022/earn-it-act-2022 missing the really obvious fact that false positives are going to make actually following up on legitimate reports impossible and you just know kids are going to end up taken from loving, caring parents because something was false flagged.

I've known plenty of people who joke around in ways that could easily trigger false flagging from key words.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:30:56 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 02:55:30 PM »

Details of the openrights campaign so far https://www.openrightsgroup.org/campaign/save-encryption/

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 09:33:50 PM »

I just signed the petition.

FYI Uno and Andrews and Arnold are corporate supporters of ORG.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 09:17:10 AM »

anything