Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [How-to] Simplest way to bypass TPM/Unsupported CPU check  (Read 7872 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
[How-to] Simplest way to bypass TPM/Unsupported CPU check
« on: October 05, 2021, 04:16:01 PM »

Found this on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/q1wmzm/howto_simplest_way_to_bypass_tpmunsupported_cpu/

DISCLAIMER - This method only works if your machine is already capable of officially running Windows 10 version 21H1 (as that is currently the latest available from Microsoft). Machines that can't run this version may not guarantee to work but worth a try.

Download Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft as usual - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Download Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft using the Media Creation Tool as usual - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Mount the Windows 10 ISO

Navigate inside the Sources folder and find the file called appraiserres.dll

Copy it to your Desktop or any other folder (just to keep it temporarily for now)

Optional (just to avoid confusion) - Unmount the ISO (Go to This PC, and right-click and Eject on it)

Mount the Windows 11 ISO

Make a folder anywhere on your Desktop (or other location) and copy all files inside the Windows 11 ISO to this folder

Optional (just to avoid confusion) - Unmount the ISO (Go to This PC, and right-click and Eject on it)

Go to the Sources folder inside the Windows 11 unpacked folder you just made

Take that earlier appraiserres.dll file you copied from the Windows 10 ISO and replace it over the one in this Sources folder

Before proceeding further - please completely disconnect your Internet (Wi-Fi or otherwise)

Go back to the root of the Windows 11 unpacked folder you made and open setup.exe

When you get to the screen that says Change how Setup downloads updates, click on it and also uncheck the box that says I want to help make the installation better

When you get to the screen that says Get updates, drivers and optional features, select Not right now

Complete the rest of the screens as usual and the setup should complete all the way and you should be upgraded to Windows 11 with all your files/applications intact (as per the setup process)

TLDR - Copy all files inside the Windows 11 ISO to one folder anywhere on your machine. Then find the appraiserres.dll file inside the Sources folder of a Windows 10 ISO and replace it over the same file in the Windows 11 unpacked folder you made earlier. Disconnect your Internet. Open setup.exe and uncheck all the options for getting updates and accessing the Internet and follow the steps to complete. (If any issues restart your computer once, disconnect the Internet, and run the setup.exe once again)

Credit of course goes to whomever initially discovered this method (for Windows 11 or earlier versions as well), this just a reminder/FYI post now that we have official release.

Currently testing

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: [How-to] Simplest way to bypass TPM/Unsupported CPU check
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 07:38:24 PM »

Just bear in mind they do not promise any Windows Updates if you use this method, so its a security risk.

Even if they DO decide to offer updates, those updates could be buggy or completely break the OS if they decide to optimise for officially supported CPUs only.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 03:03:18 AM »

Just bear in mind they do not promise any Windows Updates if you use this method, so its a security risk.

Even if they DO decide to offer updates, those updates could be buggy or completely break the OS if they decide to optimise for officially supported CPUs only.

Do we honest believe every words from Microsoft over older pc cannot use Windows 11 because of older cpu can't support W11 (what a load of rubbish - they only saying this to make people's upgrading new pc or laptop to make Microsoft and Intel money!) I been using Windows 11 bypass on my old Sandybridge PC and the hardware kicked all boxes no issues with W10 and W11. The TPM 2.0 and secure boot are useless as I never use it for W10 on my AMD Ryzen 7 3700X!

Don't let Microsoft fool u as for TPM 2.0, Secure Boot and supported CPU only - Microsoft - you should be ASHAMED yourself! and Intel as well. STOP RIPPED PEOPLES OFF and Stupid move by Microsoft in the middle of a pandemic. There's financial and social upheaval all over the place, and this is their thinking? Microsoft won't care! It's all about MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 03:25:47 AM by adslmax »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 06:59:45 AM »

Except people can use Windows 10 until 2025, I'd hope the pandemic will finally be over by then.

This is not the first time Windows has ever ditched older hardware in favour of newer instruction sets.  Did you forget that Windows is 64bit only now?  Periodically its necessary to drop support because having a fallback code path for every new instruction you want to use gets messy and bug prone.

I'm not saying this is what Microsoft are doing, but I can understand why it might be.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 08:36:14 AM »

I'd like to try Win11 but as none of the hardware I own is supported it'll have to wait as I won't risk an install that could break at any time. I understand that Microsoft can't go on supporting old hardware for ever, but I am a little suspicious of the claimed CPU limitations as the currently published lists suggest that some of my hardware isn't even fit for Win7 and that is clearly wrong as one PC came with Win8 and the other Win7 from new!
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »

I'd like to try Win11 but as none of the hardware I own is supported it'll have to wait as I won't risk an install that could break at any time. I understand that Microsoft can't go on supporting old hardware for ever, but I am a little suspicious of the claimed CPU limitations as the currently published lists suggest that some of my hardware isn't even fit for Win7 and that is clearly wrong as one PC came with Win8 and the other Win7 from new!
 :)

I think they have realised how they can't refine the code any more without making a hard cut-off, playing it safe and they've even said they might ease back the restrictions a little as they test more CPUs.

I think if they outright said "we need CPUs with x,y,z instructions" people might be a LOT more understanding, but then I'm guessing that would be a wider selection of CPUs than they currently support so they're keeping quiet.  Its certainly puzzling how any Ryzen CPUs ended up in the excluded list.

I also think the bigger issue is saying Win10 will only run to 2025, if you're dropping CPUs released a few years ago, that just seems too soon.  My laptop bought the end of 2018 is not supported, though I'm planning to replace that one with a Macbook Pro M1X (lucky me) so will just switch it to Linux at that point.

So don't get me wrong, I understand peoples anger, a friend of mine in Texas only recently grudgingly moved to Win10, now to find he's abandoned in 2025.  But I can also see how Windows might need this transition.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 11:33:08 AM »

Its certainly puzzling how any Ryzen CPUs ended up in the excluded list.

My Ryzen 2600 was not supported earlier before the official release but now I am running windows 11 and everything went smoothly.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »

I am now running Windows 11 Pro on my AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with both secure boot and TPM 2.0 enabled (upgraded from Windows 10 Pro) all went smoothly as every personal files, settings and programs remain there. So far like it, but I wish Start pinned apps show more on it. (get rid of Recommended & top search bar as well) I disabled Microsoft Meet (start up) so far no bugs!

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 03:43:47 PM »

I am now running Windows 11 Pro on my AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with both secure boot and TPM 2.0 enabled (upgraded from Windows 10 Pro) ...

Isn't that the one you said you were running Linux Mint on in reply #92 of this thread - https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,26100.92.html
"One pc AMD Ryzen 7 3700x does ticked all green OK for Windows 11 including secure boot and TPM enabled but I wouldn't bother with W11 because I like Linux Mint on it...."
 ???
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 03:48:18 PM »

Still on Linux Mint on other NVMe as I got two NVMe slots one for Windows 11 Pro and other one for Linux Mint 20.2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 10:10:50 PM »

Only problem I'm having is switching to my second monitor it doesn't seem to switch the audio back correctly like Win 10 did.

I have Dolby Atmos for my surround sound system, but if I switch to my second monitor it reverts to Stereo and doesn't switch back when I change to my surround system connected TV.  I have to go into settings and switch it back manually, which seems more cumbersome than it was in 10 (as that did occasionally have the problem if I switched monitors the wrong way, seems there is no right way any more).

Kinda typical seeing as Microsoft were claiming all these improvements they made for multi-monitor setups yet they've made it worse for me.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 10:46:26 PM »

Feedback and report it to Microsoft

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 11:23:06 PM »

Feedback and report it to Microsoft

If they made it easier to do so I would.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 11:39:27 PM »

Maybe stick with windows 10 for now until 2025 by the time nearer there will be much better ironed out bugs fixed

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 12:12:14 AM »

Maybe stick with windows 10 for now until 2025 by the time nearer there will be much better ironed out bugs fixed

Its a small bug considering its my gaming PC so benefits hugely from AutoHDR and spends 99% of the time on the TV.  Its just annoying to see a regression.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything