Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking for a new ADSL provider for my brother  (Read 2930 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Looking for a new ADSL provider for my brother
« on: October 05, 2021, 02:48:26 PM »

My brother has been having some issues with high latency using EE broadband (As per a post on the ADSL issues) which he didn't have on Plusnet, He just had speed issues with Plusnet.

I still need to monitor the line but he is considering switching providers as he has just been getting fobbed off by Plusnet (Which mad ehim move) and by EE.

I've not had to look into providers much in the past 6 years  so was looking for opinions on what may be good to go with. I would imagine he is paying roughly £22 a month from EE for their service so trying to keep it around there.
I noticed Freeola seem to have reasonable prices. What are they like these days?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 02:51:19 PM by michty_me »

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Looking for a new ADSL provider for my brother
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 03:41:57 PM »

It's probably a mistake to go shopping on price, and expect top quality.  If you really want an ISP who'll fight your corner and not fob you off then look at Andrews and Arnold.  I've also heard good thinks about Zen, but in our area they are much more expensive still.

Iain

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 04:01:29 PM »

I think getting the line monitoring working is going to be more productive than getting yet another ISP involved - then once you know what the issue is he will be better prepared in dealing with any ISP.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 06:27:27 PM »

It's probably a mistake to go shopping on price, and expect top quality.  If you really want an ISP who'll fight your corner and not fob you off then look at Andrews and Arnold.  I've also heard good thinks about Zen, but in our area they are much more expensive still.

I did think of Andrews and Arnold and checked the price. It's nearly double what he is paying so I can't see him going for that due to a young family and funds being tight with one income at the minute.
We weren't really looking for the best quality, just someone reliable with half decent customer support.

I think getting the line monitoring working is going to be more productive than getting yet another ISP involved - then once you know what the issue is he will be better prepared in dealing with any ISP.

I have been trying to get this going through him but his lack of time at present is proving difficult. I'll be getting this setup when I get home next week and we can go from there.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:57:12 PM »

Are they in the middle of nowhere, what's their postcode?

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 09:00:40 PM »

Are they in the middle of nowhere, what's their postcode?

Actually no, He is on the outskirts of Aberdeen. It was a new development a few years back which never got upgraded to FTTC. The surrounding area did but they never. He is approx 2,500m from the exchange according to A&A.

Can I PM the postcode?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 10:25:16 PM »

I would be cautious of Zen, I’ve had a bad experience recently. They are great if all works, but Tecnical support is hit and miss at the moment. You get what you pay for.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 10:28:42 PM »

Actually no, He is on the outskirts of Aberdeen. It was a new development a few years back which never got upgraded to FTTC. The surrounding area did but they never. He is approx 2,500m from the exchange according to A&A.

Can I PM the postcode?

By all means, I'm curious what's available for them

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 10:30:43 PM »

I would be cautious of Zen, I’ve had a bad experience recently. They are great if all works, but Tecnical support is hit and miss at the moment. You get what you pay for.

I've been with Zen myself for the past 6 years. Probably one of the better ISP's I've been with through the years. Unless something has changed recently, I found their tech support to be pretty good!

By all means, I'm curious what's available for them

No problem, I'll fire it across