Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Cityfibre - which ISPs?  (Read 9364 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Cityfibre - which ISPs?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 07:12:02 PM »

i should add, the purple tubes don't continue down to the left, they are just running the thin purples wires in the trench as they are covered with sand and filled in with the rubble.
so if someone comes along later and digs into the pavement they'll, no doubt, sever the cable.

oh, and it has been noted that the crack in the pavement just below the loose piece of purple cable on the road only appeared when they dug up the pavement, so i will be paying close attention when they come to re-tarmac the trench to see if they also fix that. if not i'll be letting them know.

I have to say, that does look like an odd way to distribute fibre cable ??. As with most things, we're all 'Football managers' thinking we know better than the guys doing the graft, but if the trench has been reinstated it does leave the cables susceptible in the future ?.

From the picture, it looks like the cables are feeding to the individual TB's (Toby Boxes - those small rectangular things at the curtilage) - then they are all taped together and, I suspect, in readiness to be pulled down the two solid ducts they've laid.
Putting my football managers hat on, it looks decidedly shoddy.

I hope I'm proven wrong.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 08:07:59 PM »

No idea :D - I guess they know what they are doing though? ::)

Here, CityFibre generally appear to be making a mess where they work around the town and often take longer compared to Lightning Fibre's various roadworks. :D

Cityfibre are on a friend's street in Leicester, and they have apparently done nothing at all for nearly 3 weeks.  Road dug up, but no work men.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 08:57:59 PM »

I have to say, that does look like an odd way to distribute fibre cable ??. As with most things, we're all 'Football managers' thinking we know better than the guys doing the graft, but if the trench has been reinstated it does leave the cables susceptible in the future ?.

From the picture, it looks like the cables are feeding to the individual TB's (Toby Boxes - those small rectangular things at the curtilage) - then they are all taped together and, I suspect, in readiness to be pulled down the two solid ducts they've laid.
Putting my football managers hat on, it looks decidedly shoddy.

I hope I'm proven wrong.  :)

Nope the individual taped cables aren’t inside the big tubes, they were placed on top of them, covered in sand then it was filled in

I have no idea what the purpose of the tubes are. I watched them lay them then lay the taped cable on top

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 10:06:44 PM »

Are the tubes there for additional later fibres? Or are they to protect the fibre from being crushed, because of their greater width making the top of them higher so they will take any weight first?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 01:59:10 AM »

Its just bizarre as surely first time that pavement gets resurfaced they risk destroying the cables.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 06:38:27 AM »

It sounds as if the installers were supposed to feed the fibre cables through the purple tubes but didn't bother, to save time.
  Eric

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 07:43:35 AM »

Are the tubes there for additional later fibres? Or are they to protect the fibre from being crushed, because of their greater width making the top of them higher so they will take any weight first?

no idea,
but the tubes don't continue around the corner from what you see in the photo.

as the trench goes down to the left they just layed the taped cables in the trench on their own and covered with sand.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 08:44:21 AM »

I'd suggest contacting Cityfibre with the photo and description. If as people suggest it's lazy workers they should want the job done properly.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 01:47:20 PM »

From a letter sent to Bournemouth Echo. City Fibre are not very good in organisation.

[Moderator edited to fix the broken [url=][/url] tags.]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 04:57:33 PM by burakkucat »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 02:31:05 PM »

well the cables that are running down around to the left (in the original photo) go to a BT manhole on the pavement. the fibre cables are running to it unprotected covered by sand, rubble and tarmac (probably about 6 inches below the pavement surface).

the main run along the house, the fibre is sitting on top of the 2 purple tubes, which is then covered by sand, rubble and tarmac.

they've made it impossible to pull new cables should something go wrong. they'd need to dig and relay.

PMK are the contractors working for CityFibre.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2021, 03:38:19 PM »

It does look insane. Agreed.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 03:43:02 PM »

That's exactly how Virgin rollout their FTTP, minus the larger ducts.
No idea what they are for.

The thinner purple cables are tough, designed to be direct buried in the pavement.
Fibre is blown through them later on.

Did they fit a bend on the larger duct and continue it on to the left of the photo?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 03:45:26 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 04:36:52 PM »

Did they fit a bend on the larger duct and continue it on to the left of the photo?

no, they just run the thin purple wires to the BT manhole on their own in the trench they dug and covered up with sand and filled it back in (as you can see in the photo).

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 04:37:44 PM »

So, j0hn, the purple things are in fact pipes, not fibres? Makes some sense now then.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2021, 04:53:00 PM »

So, j0hn, the purple things are in fact pipes, not fibres? Makes some sense now then.

the 2 large purple things are plastic pipes, i think he's referring to the thinner roll of purple wire.
the 2 large pipes appear to do nothing other than for them to place the thin roll or purple wire on top of (but not inside).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5