Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Cityfibre - which ISPs?  (Read 9428 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Cityfibre - which ISPs?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2021, 05:36:40 PM »

the 2 large purple things are plastic pipes, i think he's referring to the thinner roll of purple wire.
the 2 large pipes appear to do nothing other than for them to place the thin roll or purple wire on top of (but not inside).

Aha ..... as Weaver points out, it's making more sense now I think.

Chenks - you posted the wording, "what appears to be, fibre cable sitting on top of the pipes (not inside)" .... which is what has thrown us, I would humbly suggest. If it BFT (Blown Fibre Tubing) then as j0hn mentions, it's totally acceptable.

Nobody was harmed in the making of this, another investigation put to bed.  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 08:14:45 AM »

if it is BFT then what's the purpose of the 2 large purple tubes?
and if they are required why weren't they used 100% of the time? they weren't used for the run that turned round the corner which terminated at the BT manhole.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2021, 02:42:06 PM »

B2B's (Box to box ducts) for the larger spine cables ?? Have they built any access boxes at the end of the 2 larger ducts ??

With their being TB's outside each premises, there would have to be 'Swept T's' (ie: breakout ducts) on the larger purple pipes, at each premises passed.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2021, 05:41:16 PM »

With more reports that cityfibre work in Leicester has stopped I ran the checker again, and it no longer says its planned. O_o

I also tried a few other random addresses in the city and the same result.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2021, 10:16:41 PM »

With more reports that cityfibre work in Leicester has stopped I ran the checker again, and it no longer says its planned. O_o

I also tried a few other random addresses in the city and the same result.

That's weird, seeing as I'm sure it said somewhere on their website that once they start in a city, they do the WHOLE city.

That said I know they are doing my exchange area, but I'm not planned either.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2021, 03:35:57 AM »

I got a email reply from Cityfibre, not much information, I will speculate that they havent abandoned anything but rather they have decided to limit public information about the rollout progress.

Remember I moaned about Zen saying its coming soon, so maybe they decided to not put areas down as been planned until they much closer to work been done?

The reply basically said they are currently still in the planning/build process regarding Leicester, and they are unable to give any timelines.  I didnt ask about timelines, my question I asked them if they still planned to do the original announced work, so sadly didnt really answer my question directly, but indirectly it suggests they are still doing it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2021, 05:14:09 PM »

Guys I have some hopefully good news regarding FTTP for me.

Someone on TBB gave me this link which is a checker that uses cityfibre's API combined with one network API.  It also has other FTTP providers on there as well including openreach so isnt cityfibre exclusive.

https://bidb.msh100.uk

In addition cityfibre have changed the wording on their checker which misled me, if an area is planned it will say just check with us for updates without actually saying its planned.  However if an area isnt planned its similar wording but they add that there is no plans.

Now the good news.

This website shows planned roadworks in the side streets surrounding me, its not right on the parts of the streets near me but they very close 2 to 3 streets away, I am hoping this time it will move towards me.

I checked one network directly and the yellow roadworks for cityfibre are on there now as well, so fingers crossed it will be very soon, my thoughts over ordering VM have now been put on hold.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2021, 08:53:43 PM »

I like it, unlike one.network it tries to show you which sections of road are affected too.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2021, 08:01:24 AM »

based on the recent news from Vodafone i suspect that it's going to be Vodafone being the ISP servicing the FTTP rollout here.
which means i'll be giving it a miss sadly.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2021, 08:01:58 AM »

B2B's (Box to box ducts) for the larger spine cables ?? Have they built any access boxes at the end of the 2 larger ducts ??

no they didn't

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2021, 10:37:22 AM »

based on the recent news from Vodafone i suspect that it's going to be Vodafone being the ISP servicing the FTTP rollout here.
which means i'll be giving it a miss sadly.

Well I did PM the Zen rep and he told me they still selling it although he didnt comment specifically why its not on their website.  It might be a technical issue as they added extra CF tiers.

Hopefully Vodafone's new deal isnt exclusivity anywhere, I expect its preferential pricing instead.

I also read something on TBB that someone is claiming each area has its own ISP for a year exclusivity, there is a new ISP selling cityfibre and they are doing my city as well as Zen, so that theory seems not to be the case either.  I forgot their name but they used to be a business only ISP and started a consumer FTTP brand recently.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:39:59 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2021, 04:15:49 AM »

Which ISPs resell cityfibre that use IPoE instead of PPPoE?

Seen it mentioned on ispreview, but no ISPs were actually listed.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2021, 01:48:54 PM »

well it looks like Zen has thrown their hat in the ring for nationwide coverage as well now

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/11/zen-internet-set-to-extend-cityfibre-fttp-availability-nationwide.html

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2021, 01:56:07 PM »

Which ISPs resell cityfibre that use IPoE instead of PPPoE?

Seen it mentioned on ispreview, but no ISPs were actually listed.

TalkTalk Residential, not sure of any others.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2022, 11:23:43 PM »

My city has continued its trend to not announce road works on my street.

City fibre did deployment work for 3 nights last week during dusk hours outside my property, none of which was on the one network site.

Only question is how long before they press the button, as is a lot of reports of people waiting over 6 months, or even over a year now after works are carried out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything