Computer Software > Windows 11

Windows 11 - anyone getting it?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Alex Atkin UK:
I think you're underestimating what Microsoft may be attempting here.

I believe they want to exclusively use new CPU instructions to better optimise the OS and reduce the avenue for bugs to creep in, there's no other good reason I could see for the CPU cut-off restriction and them saying unsupported hardware wont get OS updated and may crash.

I'd actually be annoyed if they DON'T do that as it would point more to collusion with OEMs in order to push new hardware, I'd rather believe they are actually doing it to improve OS stability.

tubaman:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on September 29, 2021, 02:22:45 PM ---I think you're underestimating what Microsoft may be attempting here.

I believe they want to exclusively use new CPU instructions to better optimise the OS and reduce the avenue for bugs to creep in...

--- End quote ---

I really don't know, as two out of my three Win10 machines aren't on the supported CPU list for Win10 (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements) and as far as I can see never have been. They are both however running just fine and still getting updates.
I even had a Core 2 Duo running Win10 until about a year ago. That wasn't the best experience but it was useable.
I think only time will tell on this one.
 :)

Alex Atkin UK:
They said they will work fine, right now.  The idea is they are limiting it so they can make changes later and not guarantee those CPUs will still work.

So basically if in the future they figure out a way to dramatically improve performance or security using instructions exclusive to new CPUs, they can do it.

Although I'm dubious on the security aspect as if they were really serious about that they would have enabled bitlocker in Home edition.

maxheadroom:

--- Quote from: Bowdon on September 29, 2021, 11:25:21 AM ---I think Windows 11 comes out soon. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum will be getting it?

I did the upgrade check on my computer and so far both the motherboard and cpu have no TPM 2.0 facility. The CPU isn't on the list.

--- End quote ---

I used the PC check and the processor was the only thing that failed the test.

gt94sss2:
Apparently you can use https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc774a8fb81a332b5d65613187b15 to install Windows 11 bypassing the CPU and TPM checks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version