Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Windows 11 - anyone getting it?  (Read 8224 times)

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Re: Windows 11 - anyone getting it?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 11:17:51 AM »

I had the same issue due not leaving TMP2.0 on when windows 10 update decided to check my system for 11 compatibility, PC health check tool said it was compatible (after enabling TMP2.0) but the windows update stamp of not compatible was issued already.

So I downloaded MS windows 11 media creation tool, made a bootable USB (must be >8GB) then when all finished I started the setup from windows explorer (did not boot from USB stick) :thumbs: *this is the solution for the windows update not compatible message, but after checking PC health check tool and verifying that pc is compatible.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:21:33 AM by mofa2020 »

maxheadroom

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 07:55:46 PM »

Have noticed today that my Win 10 Pro PC's are now displaying a Win 11 incompatability warning on the Windows Update display window, not sure when this appeared but was certainly before a "Defination Update" carried out today.

I have checked and have the same message.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 10:36:44 PM »

Readiness check on my windows tablet:

The processor isn't currently supported, everything else has a green tick including:

The system disk is 64GB or larger.
System storage 63GB

:shrug2:
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 11:24:13 PM »

Readiness check on my windows tablet:

The processor isn't currently supported, everything else has a green tick including:

:shrug2:

Maybe its reading the RAW drive size not the formatted size?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »

Going to wait about 6 months before I consider upgrading to it. My 3990WX definitely supports it, just I don't trust there to be initial bugs and such. Microsoft seem to generally follow a pattern of good and then bad O/S, and 11 falls into the bad so I'll wait and see how things go first. As it is there's already been a 15%~ loss in performance on Ryzen systems reported, although a fix is on the way apparently.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 10:11:20 AM by Ixel »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2021, 11:27:20 AM »

The good and bad OS pattern was never accurate as people forget the OS versions that weren't great until later service packs.  As I recall its more like:

Win 3.1 - Good
Win 95 - Huge improvement
Win 98 - As I recall it didn't fix a lot of stability issues 95 had
Win 98SE - Great
Win ME - I honestly can't remember why people thought this was bad?  I think it was more than it didn't offer anything obvious over 98 while needing more resources.
Win XP - Good, but only really great after SP3 I think it was
Win Vista - not nearly as bad as people made out, biggest problem was just insane RAM usage
Win 7 - good, but again only became great after later service packs.
Win 8 - not exactly bad either
Win 10 - is pretty much Win 8 SE and I feel its actually gotten worse from later updates, had a ton of problems getting 10Gbit to work properly.  They've actually made a lot of under-the-hood changes to 10, maybe more than 11 which is just more work on top of that.  I only think they called it 11 so they could have that backwards compatibility cut-off.
Win 11 - feels more like Win 10 SE to me.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 12:37:58 PM »

Well, I did say generally. Everyone's experiences will differ a bit. :)

I hated Windows 98, 98 SE was much better though. Windows 2000 was a great O/S, missing from that list. I didn't like Vista or 8.0, 8.1 was better though. I can't massively complain about 10, in general I thought it was fine. 11 I've yet to try.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2021, 02:39:46 AM »

Ah yes 2000, completely forgot that but it doesn't really fit in the list anyway as it wasn't a home oriented OS, it was the evolution from Windows NT which eventually became the base for XP as I recall?

At the end of the day though, the numbering in kinda arbitrary as ever since XP its based on the NT kernel we don't have all the technical details of what they changed.

I'm absolutely sure we wouldn't have gotten a Windows 11 if they didn't want to have a backwards compatibility cut-off on hardware to make a push into higher security.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:43:30 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 02:15:58 PM »

I think you're underestimating what Microsoft may be attempting here.

I believe they want to exclusively use new CPU instructions to better optimise the OS and reduce the avenue for bugs to creep in, there's no other good reason I could see for the CPU cut-off restriction and them saying unsupported hardware wont get OS updated and may crash.

I'd actually be annoyed if they DON'T do that as it would point more to collusion with OEMs in order to push new hardware, I'd rather believe they are actually doing it to improve OS stability.

I believe they do collude with hardware vendors.

I still remember the Windows 8/10 debacle.  Initially coffeelake had published drivers for windows 8, USB, SATA, chipset, sound etc. all officially supported.

Then suddenly as if it was pre planned, almost over night Intel pulled the drivers, all the motherboard vendors pulled the drivers, and then to seal the deal Microsoft rolled out a patch which disabled windows updates for that hardware.  Those of us who had the archived drivers before they were pulled and a patch to disable the updates block, ran windows 8 fine, wasnt unstable, it was just a move to push people to windows 10, and also allowed the hardware vendors to cut their support costs by supporting less OS versions.

Bizarrely Windows 7 kept been supported, it got DX12, and the RTX 3000 series GPUs have a windows 7 driver even though its EOL, whilst they dont have a windows 8 driver which is not EOL.

My advice for people who either dont like windows 11 changes, or have hardware microsoft dont want to support, is to just keep using windows 10 and not worry about it for 5 years, people are acting like windows 10 is dead and that they must move to windows 11.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 12:28:45 AM »

That's not really the same thing though as Windows 10 AFAIK was compatible 100% with Windows 8 hardware (the odd hardware that wasn't the old 8 drivers usually worked on 10) and a free upgrade to 10 from 8. 

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »

That's not really the same thing though as Windows 10 AFAIK was compatible 100% with Windows 8 hardware (the odd hardware that wasn't the old 8 drivers usually worked on 10) and a free upgrade to 10 from 8.
I suspect the take-up of Win11 will be a lot lower than it was for Win10 because of this. I certainly won't be rushing out to buy three lots of new hardware when what I have now serves its purpose perfectly well on Win10, and should continue to to so for a few years yet.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »

Good move tubaman.

I am also staying on Win 10 and hope in the 5 years before its EOL, someone will make a UI mod like openshell/startisback to restore the UI, because I absolutely hate the UI changes in windows 11.

Most of the announced security features (if it bothers you) can be already turned on in Windows 10, they just off by default.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2021, 02:09:54 PM »

I don't know why they haven't released Windows 11 Home without all these added hardware requirements, as most of the programs requiring them aren't even in the Home version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-11-home-vs-pro-versions

I think they have shot themselves in the foot with these requirements in the short term.

It would have been a better user transition if people could have upgraded to Windows 11 Home, then at least they would have been using Windows 11.

I'll be holding out with Windows 10 until I do my next computer upgrade. The next computer it feels like I'm going backwards. I don't like this open water cooling system, and these days SLI i.e. two graphics cards are an outdated idea, so I'll be going back to one.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2021, 03:35:04 PM »

I don't know why they haven't released Windows 11 Home without all these added hardware requirements, as most of the programs requiring them aren't even in the Home version.

That is the confusing part.  What's the point of having these requirements and NOT at least allowing encrypted drives in Home edition?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2021, 11:45:37 PM »

Does anyone know if Win 11 has requirements for the CPU’s instruction set ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything