Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New FTTP Upgrade  (Read 3348 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: New FTTP Upgrade
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »

As stated in previous post, not going to get into this again, have already upset BS.

Absolutely not have you upset me, tiffy. As in any debate, there is (or should) be at least two opposing views.  ;) ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2021, 10:20:01 AM »

@Black Sheep:
Glad we are still pals and once again many thanks for your much valued input and advice.  ;D

@Alex Atkin UK & tubaman:
Thanks to both for further input regarding Wi-Fi connection speeds.
Have been reading up on the latest BT Smart Hub 2 available configuration options with respect to the Wi-Fi mesh system and will certainly investigate further.
Have read that the latest SH-2 Wi-Fi 2.4/5 G.Hz SSID's can not be separately identified which is considered a retrograde step by most.
There certainly appears to be a number of Wi-Fi configuration options that could be tried in an effort to improve throughput speed.

Unfortunately my sister's residence is located some 75 miles away so not so convenient to visit and have a play.

Tried some comparative Wi-Fi connected speed tests (Speedtest.net) with my laptop on my humble FTTC 40/10, ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B router system, using 2.4 G.Hz service, absolutely no difference in DS/US speeds from wired ethernet connection at any location in the house.
So what I would like to establish is why a FTTP 300/50 service with a BT Smart Bub 2 & 2 Disc's produce at least a 50% Wi-Fi DS speed reduction even when tested beside the Hub by comparison to a wired connection?
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2021, 12:39:55 PM »

So what I would like to establish is why a FTTP 300/50 service with a BT Smart Bub 2 & 2 Disc's produce at least a 50% Wi-Fi DS speed reduction even when tested beside the Hub by comparison to a wired connection?

I assume the devices you used to test the wireless can connect at speeds greater than 150Mps as some older ones will max-out at this?
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2021, 09:15:25 PM »

Well spotted "tubaman", you are absolutely on the ball!
My circa 5 year old Win 10 Home HP i5 laptop uses an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC3168 module, on checking it's spec. believe that this is the most likely cause of the lower than expected Wi-Fi DS speed indication.
Should have twigged on to this as the US speed on test only dropped marginally on Wi-Fi by comparison to a wired connection.
Many thanks for the prompt, will save me a lot of time chasing an issue that most likely doesn't exist.

Completely off topic, I noted with interest from another recent thread that you were actually an amateur tuba/bass player.
I'am also a long time now lapsed amateur musician, woodwind, Bb/Eb clarinet, similar background, concert band and periodic local amature dramatic society orchestra service.
Too old now and front teeth well past the very tight embouchure required especially for the Eb clarinet.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 09:31:58 PM by tiffy »
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub
Pages: 1 2 [3]