Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mikrotik Chateau 5G - Ultimate home AP with ultra-fast LTE/5G support  (Read 6936 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Mikrotik Chateau 5G - Ultimate home AP with ultra-fast LTE/5G support
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 11:41:07 AM »

Is it likely there could be a simple software upgrade to 802.11ax ? Would that need upgraded hardware ?

Does it speak WPA3 ?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 12:42:26 PM »

Is it likely there could be a simple software upgrade to 802.11ax ? Would that need upgraded hardware ?

Does it speak WPA3 ?

The newer wireless driver is currently in testing:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/WifiWave2
  • WPA3 authentication and OWE (opportunistic wireless encryption)
  • 802.11w standard management frame protection
  • MU-MIMO and beamforming
  • 400Mb/s maximum data rate in the 2.4GHz band for IPQ4019 interfaces
Nothing 802.11ax as of yet.

[Moderator edited to fix the bullet-point list.]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:28:47 PM by burakkucat »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2021, 11:58:58 AM »

Someone pointed out the limits of the SXT-LTE6 given it only has Fast Ethernet, Mikrotik were sort of hinting at new LTE products with Gigabit Ethernet.  I wonder if this was what they were meaning. Hope it's not the only one as I can't be the only person who wants to locate their LTE router to get the best signal, which doesn't really suit an all-in-one box.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2021, 02:27:16 PM »

Someone pointed out the limits of the SXT-LTE6 given it only has Fast Ethernet, Mikrotik were sort of hinting at new LTE products with Gigabit Ethernet.  I wonder if this was what they were meaning. Hope it's not the only one as I can't be the only person who wants to locate their LTE router to get the best signal, which doesn't really suit an all-in-one box.

The LHGG-LTE6 has a gigabit Ethernet:https://mikrotik.com/product/lhgg_lte6_kit
Sadly it's limit at present is the R11e-LTE6 which does not support band 32 which 3 UK is using extensively for carrier aggregation:
https://mikrotik.com/product/r11e_lte6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2l6FD-Z-Y

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2021, 07:24:56 AM »

The newer wireless driver is currently in testing:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/WifiWave2
  • WPA3 authentication and OWE (opportunistic wireless encryption)
  • 802.11w standard management frame protection
  • MU-MIMO and beamforming
  • 400Mb/s maximum data rate in the 2.4GHz band for IPQ4019 interfaces
Nothing 802.11ax as of yet.

[Moderator edited to fix the bullet-point list.]

The IPQ4019 is a Wave-2 802.11ac chipset, so the above is the extent of what it can support.

WiFi 6/ 802.11ax cannot be added to ac hardware, it would like expecting 5G to be a software patch for 4G simply because it might use the same radio frequencies.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 07:24:51 AM »

The IPQ4019 is a Wave-2 802.11ac chipset, so the above is the extent of what it can support.

WiFi 6/ 802.11ax cannot be added to ac hardware, it would like expecting 5G to be a software patch for 4G simply because it might use the same radio frequencies.

Oh, I agree, I'm quite sure Mikrotik will go WiFi 6e when it's finally out.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2021, 04:47:12 PM »

MikroTik has released firmware 11.06 for the Chateau 5G - RG502QEAAAR11A06M4G

This has fixed the carrier aggregation readings and now reports all the aggregated cells.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2022, 05:13:08 PM »

So Smarty have launched 5G,

connected to 5G I get 146 down and 15 up:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1643735277794696755

connected to 4G I get 180 down and 10 up...

5G does primary band 1, N78 and Band 3 as aggregate
4G does primary band 3, band 32 as aggregate

Investigations shall begin

https://testmy.net/db/DVIJTPTME.hH55EoH6z
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 05:32:01 PM by meritez »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2022, 06:04:37 PM »

I'm actually tempted to give this a go, I just wish I had the funds to afford it right now. Even at around £400, it would absolutely obliterate the bank. However, it actually represents pretty good value when compared to offerings from Huawei and how much they're selling for - the unbranded H122-373 is often selling for at least £250, but more like £350-400 for new condition. Don't bother with the Three-branded H122-373, since they're still technically Three property and anyone selling them technically needs to return them after the contract is finished and the device will still be tied to their account (I mean, you can still use it, but Three will never unlock it, and you will never technically own it).

On 5G on 3, the Huawei H122-373 gave an average of about 170/10 Mbps throughout the day. Early hours in the morning, this could reach over 300 Mbps on the downstream, usually sitting around 250 Mbps. Safe to say, speeds usually sat in the 100-200 Mbps bound most of the time it's in use. Due to the nature of that hardware, I couldn't see the exact bands in CA, but I would wager 1-3-20_n78 for DL.

The reason why this would nice to try out is because it actually has external antenna ports, so I could find a better location to improve the upstream. Around 10 Mbps upstream is ... pretty poor. The B525 with external antennas could perform better, so clearly using a unit with only internal antennas is not favourable for my location.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2022, 07:30:28 PM »

Don't bother with the Three-branded H122-373, since they're still technically Three property and anyone selling them technically needs to return them after the contract is finished and the device will still be tied to their account (I mean, you can still use it, but Three will never unlock it, and you will never technically own it).

Its a little unclear how that works now, some reports suggested they no longer care about them being returned while the terms still allow Three to bill you for them if you don't.

They certainly work fine as I got one recently and it even shows my telephone number in the settings, which the unbranded one did not.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2022, 07:47:45 PM »

Its a little unclear how that works now, some reports suggested they no longer care about them being returned while the terms still allow Three to bill you for them if you don't.

They certainly work fine as I got one recently and it even shows my telephone number in the settings, which the unbranded one did not.
I don't want to bring it too much off topic, but it's just my stance on the situation. If I pay for it but don't technically own it, then I might as well not have it. I'd imagine that the only person subject to issues would be the account holder associated with the router, not anyone further down the line who has it. Though, that does not rule out the possibility that devices could be blacklisted (IMEI blocking).
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2022, 08:36:27 PM »

I don't want to bring it too much off topic, but it's just my stance on the situation. If I pay for it but don't technically own it, then I might as well not have it. I'd imagine that the only person subject to issues would be the account holder associated with the router, not anyone further down the line who has it. Though, that does not rule out the possibility that devices could be blacklisted (IMEI blocking).

Well I did get it from CEX so if it got blacklisted within 2 years I would return it under their warranty.  Definitely more risky if you just grabbed one off eBay.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2022, 09:53:41 PM »

There's a review of the ZTE mc801a on ispreview forums, £250, unlocked, WiFi 6, bridge mode, other bits, Snapdragon x55 modem.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/zte-mc801a-review.37993/

Looks very good for the 💰

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2022, 11:44:30 PM »

There's a review of the ZTE mc801a on ispreview forums, £250, unlocked, WiFi 6, bridge mode, other bits, Snapdragon x55 modem.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/zte-mc801a-review.37993/

Looks very good for the 💰

That has some extensive options in the web UI.  That's one annoying thing about Huawei, they expose barely any options.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2022, 09:27:48 PM »

Pulled 125/10 off the internal antennas today in a poor signal location.

Curious what some decent external antennas would achieve.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything